1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chorus time again

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by chillybilly, Aug 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. chillybilly

chillybilly Tele-Meister

Attempt to be brief:

-Now have two full boards - a large Pedaltrain Novo 24 and a smaller SKB 12x17.

-Was fortunate to build the newer SKB board from scratch ie no pedals transferred or copied from the PT.

-SKB uses the Keeley Seafoam+. Tried it (mostly) sight unseen and mostly unheard ie not a lot of demo watching. It is outstanding. Goldilocks pedal.

-Original board had Boss CE-5, then MXR Analog, then Source Audio Gemini.

-CE-5 wasn't anywhere close to old CE-2 or even CE-3. MXR Analog was subtle but usually too subtle. Gemini has single/dual/quad toggle supposedly to mimic famous units eg Boss. We started out on shaky ground together and our relationship has only worsened. It sounds plasticky and 'laid on top of' guitar sound as opposed to modulating it.

-Despite the swings and roundabouts I am not a huge chorus user except when the song calls for it in the case of covers - and there are numerous covers that do. Police, Smiths, Pretenders, other 80s and even some 90s. I know that chorus in general is a polarizing topic (no pun intended) because of its nature or association with certain genres or artists.

So...I have the luxury of choice and time to experiment and replace the Gemini. Obviously in the chorus realm there are scads of boutique and looks-boutique-but-really-isn't choices. Some models restrict themselves to 2 or 3 controls and a basic tone, others have 5-6 pots plus one or more mini-toggles. The Seafoam+ has 4 pots and a 3-way style/effect toggle - seems about right in terms of flexibility & ability to adjust quickly. Goldilocks, as above.

Form factor would preferably be the classic rectangle of height roughly double the width.

A vibrato or Univibe-type capability is not a need, maybe not even a want.

Another Seafoam+? Maybe...but trying out of principle to avoid overlap between the 2 boards.

Wampler and TC Electronic are really the only non-starters for me (long story no need to relate here).

Other ideas, likes, dislikes?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The TC 3rd Dimension is interesting... Not the toneprint version.

i use the multi-chorus in my Lexicon MX rack which is a really lush sound and an MXR Analog Chorus.

3. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

VFE choral reef

4. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Boss CE-3, Boss CE-2W, Ibanez CS9

5. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I humbly suggest that you further explore the settings of the gear you already own, whilst finding the inner strength to trust your own ears.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What @AngelStrummer said.

Plus, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask because for a live musician having two different boards with no overlapping pedals sounds like a nightmare.

And I'm a K.I.S.S. guy overall.

But the Ibanez AD9 is amazing.

Or if you want more tweakability the Maxon AD9 Pro+.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was looking at the 3rd dimension. Four mysterious buttons!

[​IMG]

The thing is, a speed knob and an intensity knob are so useful and intuitive, but they're not there.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I use the MXR Analog Chorus and like it a lot, but it can be pretty subtle (which is how I have it set nowadays and basically always on). One thing with the Analog Chorus is the bass and treble cut knobs really alter the strength of the chorus, which I wasn't expecting. Worth messing around with those for awhile if you haven't much.

One Chorus pedal that surprised me was the Mooer Ensemble King. I think it's a clone of a Boss circuit, but with a level knob added. Pretty juicy, and cheap.

9. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I think you ought to take @AngelStrummer's approach and give the CE-5 another shot. I've found it to be the only chorus pedal I ever need and have yet to understand why it gets dumped all over in comparison to the CE-2. There's so much control available and it's hard to get a bad sound out of it to my hear-holes. Methinks the hate is much less about how it actually sounds than how convinced people are that it sounds worth than its 2-knob brother. It's an outstanding pedal.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    openbar likes this.
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Only one knob needed. MXR Micro Chorus.

[​IMG]

11. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Boss BF-2 Flanger does a great thick chorus. Turn the manual and res full counter clockwise. Dial in the rate and depth.
    Some of those 80s sounds are not always Chorus and are actually an electric mistress or possibly an HF-2 Hi-Band Flanger.

green_henry and cyclopean like this.
  12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Walrus Audio Julia.

[​IMG]

13. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

as probably the only active poster here in a goth or post punk band, may i gently suggest checking out flanger pedals? maybe phasers? all three do similar things, and i used to be a big chorus user (i think it was a boss super chorus) and i switched over to a boss bf-2.

i'm pretty sure the dude from the police used a flanger and not a chorus, but the way he used it sounded more like a chorus.

i like my bf-2 quite a bit, and i like how my bandmate's electric mistress sounds as well. maybe you think you want chorus but you really want a flanger?

green_henry and chillybilly like this.
  14. chillybilly

chillybilly Tele-Meister

Fair point - I had a flanger, phaser and a chorus (all MXR but that was coincidence) on the board at one point. The flanger was fun but barely got used...Phase 95 is so small and versatile that I keep it around but it's sparsely used.

Andy Summers (Police) was indeed using an Electric Mistress (along with an early Boss chorus).

15. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Sorry about TC. I was going to suggest the Corona chorus. Boss CE-2W is great. I also really like the Source Audio Orbital Modulation if you like to tweak knobs. It's digital, but to my ears sounds great. It has several parameters that let you dial in your favorites and save two. It does five kinds of Modulation. Not bad for 100 bucks used.

16. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have a Mooer Elec Lady (also called E-Lady) that sounds killer but not discreet.

17. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've got Mad Professor Double Moon, Chorus/Flanger/Vibrato. A bit pricey, but wanted to have both and there wasn't too much room in my commuter pedalboard.

Still kind of tinkering with different sounds, but 3 choruses, 3 flangers, chorus+flanger, some double versions. Also with certain settings it self oscillates.

Fun stuff.

18. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

every pedal should be able to self oscillate.

(slight exaggeration but why not leave that on the table?)

19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You forgot the best one ever

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried a bunch and the one I always go back to is one you don't see often--the Jacques Meistersinger.

It's an all-analog (bucket brigade) circuit and it sounds fantastic.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.