1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chorus pedal rant

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telereissue, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That's a nice pedal. Mine had tone suck in bypass, so I returned it. Shame really. Probably was unlucky.

DeepDangler and telereissue like this.
  2. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

I run a buffered tuner. Can't tell a difference.

3. Axegrinder77

That makes sense. The first buffer might be already altering your tone in a similar way. Or your mxr chorus is better built and/or mine was a dud.

As an aside, I just got an empress buffer plus. Interestingly, the variable input impedance has taught me something. I don't like it up at 1 meg. I knock it down about a third - probably around 600k. Nice balance of warmth and sparkle.

4. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

Well, I'm running about 30 ft of cable to and from my board so I needed a good buffer regardless.

northernguitar likes this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Definitely. Check out the empress or Mesa (more expensive).

6. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

I swear to God you guys are reading my mind with this chorus pedal discussion (either that or you, like me, have had 6 chorus pedals on a pedal board stuck in the head). I'm looking at the JHS Emperor V2, Keeley *Seafoam*, and the Seymour Duncan Catalina, and I just can't pick one. I'm leaning toward the Emperor, but I'd love to hear other thoughts.

(Now I'll finish reading the thread)

telereissue likes this.
  7. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

Well most of these are just a new take on the CE-2. What happened here, was I needed a brighter pedal.

8. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

Yeah, I see the CE-2W is a $100 pedal that for some reason is selling for $200. I hope you like the new mxr pedal, its always a hoot to tool around with new gear.

9. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

I plugged it in and immediately was brought back to the overtones of my CE-2. Idk why I couldn't bond with the Julianna.

DeepDangler likes this.
  10. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

The Julie struck me as too smooth, if there is such a thing. I still like it a little rough, lol.

DeepDangler likes this.
  11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I had a similar issue with my MXR AC. I don't like their buffer as much as the Boss buffer. Ultimately, the reason I got rid of mine was the analogue swoosh created some weird distortion effects I didn't like. It did sound quite good in front of an amp compared to being in loop.

The CE-2W does have 3 modes which is why it commands the higher price. It sounds like the original CE-2 which has gone up in price plus it has the CE-1 chorus that's more lush and the CE-1 vibe. The JHS Emperor and Julia are also 200 bucks.

Glad you found a chorus you like! You made out like a bandit since you were able to trade down and get a sound you enjoy. Reminds me of when I got my Boss SD1.

PrescottRX likes this.
  12. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

Maybe I'm wrong, I'd gladly retract if that's the case, but don't most comparable Boss stompboxes go for $100?

As for the ones I've listed, they all go for ~$200, however they seem more versatile than the CE-2.

DeepDangler likes this.
  13. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

I'm running it in front of the amp. Sounds great.

DeepDangler likes this.
  14. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

The average Boss pedal price is around 100 but it depends on the pedal. The SD-1 and DS-1 are 50. The more complex modulation and digital effects are usually 100-160. The Boss Phaser PH3 is 130 but also has 5 different phase modes. I'm a big fan of Boss stuff but there are plenty of options once you start paying over 100 for a pedal.

The one thing the CE-2W has over some other chorus units in the same price range is the depth of the chorus sound without having to dial it in. The Julia and Empress are much more versatile. I almost bought an Empress but ended up being happy with a Boss CE5 for 50 bucks used.

PrescottRX likes this.
  15. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

Versatile, yes. Do they have the warmth and lushness of threCE-2? No, as I've just been down this wormhole.

DeepDangler likes this.
  16. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

Maybe I'll end up with 6 chorus pedals of my own.

17. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

I had a CE-5 a long time ago. I'll have to keep it all in mind when I try em out.

18. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I thought I loved my 18v Cool Cat until I heard an optioned-out Analogman Mini-Chorus. I ordered one immediately. It’s one of those few pedals that makes me smile every time I switch it on.

Festofish likes this.
  19. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

I can never get chorus or delay pedals to give me the sounds I have in my head. I can't get that full, dripping chorus or the delay that's almost like doubling.

Mine are only Joyo but I think the issue is more me than the pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.