1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chorus pedal rant

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telereissue, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have the MD500, which has a decent CE2 model. For analog, i.like the TV Corona. Very flexible with a mix knob.

2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

At the risk of raining on anybody's parade, I think a chorus is the type of thing that sounds good for a few minutes, after that you never want to hear it again. I had an Ibanez chorus for years, solid build, no problems. I used it a few times and that was it.

My opinion is the chorus sucked in the 1980s and it sucks now, but don't mind me.

3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

My favorite chorus is the MXR Analog Chorus. I’ll probably buy a CE2W just to encourage the shutting up.

4. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

I had the Zakk Wylde version, and apparently those are worth about double what I paid for it too. Lol

5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have a TC Corona Stereo. Actually two of them. Mine stay on the Tri Chorus setting. Sounds huge in stereo

16108473698926058509142704471938.jpg

6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have that same pedal but I've never cranked the depth and level that high before, I'll have to give it a try.

There's a really nice, subtle toneprint for it called "clean chorus" for the chorus-that-doesn't-sound-like-a-chorus effect.

stratoman1 likes this.
  7. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I keep it on Tri Chorus, the depth and level arent as pronounced there as they are on the other settings. On standard settings I wouldn't be anywhere near those levels. What the tri chorus does in stereo is really add depth to the sound. It really sounds wide with that

telepraise likes this.
  8. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

The Arion chorus actually uses the same chipset as the CE2. The JHS Emperor Chorus is actually based off of it.

Here is a good demo of the CE5. I run the EQ maxed but the EQ is a nice feature because it lets you balance the bass and treble sound of your chorus allowing you to have different chorus flavors.

9. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

I have the Mosky clone. It's very close, I can't say I'd be able to tell the difference in a blind test. At $25 it's a no-brainer

DeepDangler likes this.
  10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I did not know dat.

DeepDangler likes this.
  11. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I partially agree with a previous derogatory post on the value of chorus. But not entirely.
    ~ Set up in a two amp stereo rig, they can make a big and spacious three dimensional sound. Which sounds killer in the living room...useless and cumbersome in a gig. Imo, of course. I could certainly see how it could work live.
    ~ Used with taste, and sparingly, it can sound killer. Sonetimes, once in a while, occasionally. Not all the time.
    ~ MOST USEFULLY, even as an always on, set with the speed and depth all the way down, it serves as a thickener, just making your signal a little bigger and fatter. People are always looking for that, using delays, boosts, compressors, pre-amps, overdrives, etc. so I’d suggest trying the chorus for that.

This one is great for all three of those uses, especially the third. Being if the same vintage, it has the exact same bucket brigade delay chip as the expensive vintage Boss, and arguably sounds just as good~
    88CB76B7-074B-4D97-B7AA-A822FE9063F7.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    driver8 and northernguitar like this.
  12. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

Not using a CE-2w.

Nothing else will sound like that pedal but that pedal. The only other chorus pedal I’ve ever liked is the Small Clone and it doesn’t sound like aCE-2 either. If that’s the sound you want, that’s the pedal you need. Don’t feel bad, I’ve bought and sold it about 3 times in the last year because I don’t really use chorus at all, but then I get that itch the only thing that will scratch it is an actual CE-2 or the Waza version.

Buy a CE-2w and call it a day. You’ll never need to invest in a chorus pedal again.

Capgun

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Axegrinder77 likes this.
  13. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Nice, I have the 65. It can do the 'faux-vibrato' nicely.
    [​IMG]

65 Champ Amp and driver8 like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If shopping for another Boss CE-2 is rough due to hipness pushing upthe prices, keep an eye out for Ibanez 10 series chorus'.
    There were a bunch of models and almost all sounds really good, nice fattening without being too in your face '80s pop.
    Avoid the digital one and the "Prime Dual Chorus DC-10" that does flange as well as chorus.

The basic "Stereo Chorus" and "Twin Cam Chorus" are great sounding and still affordable while being MIJ by Maxon to high standards.
    I also strongly dislike chorus but these fatten and add some swirl without being offensive.

If you want full on offensive maybe you need to wait for the real Boss thing!

15. northernguitar

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

DOD pricing is all over the map and seems much lower at auction than the hopeful sellers list prices.
    This one is older but might be the same basic two knob circuit, while the 3 know is at least somewhat changed.
    Might be the sweetest fattest chorus sound I know of.

1F06514B-ABB6-407A-A4D9-3DC144742204.jpeg

65 Champ Amp and northernguitar like this.
  17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Digitech Multi-Chorus I bought about 15 years ago. It and my wah are the only pedals that have stayed on my board for a long time. Not sure if it's considered to be a good chorus or not, but it does everything I want out of one.

[​IMG]

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

yeah Josh has great taste in pedals that he and the crew clone.

19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

what was Andy Summer using " message in a bottle"? was it a flanger?

northernguitar likes this.
  20. northernguitar

As far as I know, whenever you hear an Andy Summers chorus effect, it’s really an EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress.

lupowitz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.