1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chorus pedal rant

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telereissue, Jan 16, 2021.

1. telereissue

telereissue TDPRI Member

So I've had a few chorus pedals in my day. First was the TC Aftershock which was great, but struck a deal on a vintage Boss CE2 and that was the pinnacle. That being said, I saw the market was up on them on reverb and doubled my money. I bought an MXR Analog chorus and micro chorus next and both were ok, but the micro was super noisy.

I ended up with the Walrus Julianna. It's a great pedal, but I can't get the lush tones I had with the CE-2. What am I doing wrong?

SRHmusic and DeepDangler like this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love the Julia, but I sold it. It was a great chorus so don’t know why the Juliana ain’t cutting it.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

As far as I’ve been able to tell, the only thing that sounds like a CE2 is a CE2.

4. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Just sell the Walrus and buy a Boss CE-2W. You just didn’t figure out you liked the CE-2 until it was gone :(

I spent a ton of cash trying different choruses and ended up with a humble digital Boss CE-5. It was one of the first chorus pedals I heard and it took me years to loop my way back to where I started.

openbar, cdwillis, ruger9 and 6 others like this.
  5. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Why not just buy the Boss Waza Craft CE-2 or whatever the JHS Chorus is— I think Josh based it off of the CE-2

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never owned a chorus pedal that I loved which is much the as delay pedals. I’ve acquiesced to mediocrity for both.

Dan R likes this.
  7. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

The lushest chorus I own is the Tc electronics one with the presets. But yep. Two things to learn here.
    1) if you like it, keep it.
    2) you like what you like. I’ve never gotten on with the ce2 preferring the ch1. But others love the other way round. That’s cool with me.

8. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

some vintage pedals sound the way they do because of specific components that are no longer available
    in some cases, substituting available components does not drastically alter performance, but the BBD - bucket brigade delay - chips used in old chorus and delay pedals tend to have a sound that some players prefer to modern technology

9. telereissue

telereissue TDPRI Member

Which one? The new JHS 3 series?

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I really like the CE5 as well. It’s a different animal from the CE2, but still a cool chorus. The hi/lo concentric eq knobs allow it to cover a LOT of ground.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    whoanelly15 and DeepDangler like this.
  11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I'm a bit barbaric with my CE5... I have the EQs at max all the time. I like how it has a chorus sound that cuts through distortion without the chorus itself distorting. It works really well in the effects loop of an amp and is the closest I can get to a JC120s glassy chorus.

12. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

FWIW, I have a DOD FX65, my oldest pedal, and the only chorus pedal I’ve played with. I was just starting playing with an electric guitar and I thought it was a freakin talent enhancer. I never felt the need to buy another and just believed the blogs that claimed 80s chorus pedals were all imitations of the CE-2, based around the BBD.

capohk and DeepDangler like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Chorus and flange pedals all sound different. One factor now is that new bbd chips are cheap lo fi where old bbd based pedals generally used the best tech possible chips. Might be some builders change reissue circuits to sound right with current chips.

DeepDangler likes this.
  14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I got an Arion chorus pedal in the80s. Hardly use it, gave it to my pianist friend for Fender Rhodes sounds. IMO, that is a good sounding chorus.

Grateful Ape, Nelg and DeepDangler like this.
  15. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve never played through a vintage CE2 but own a CE2W and think it’s a great pedal. It’s nice to have the extra voicing to give it variety and versatility.

I don’t own one, but I know some folks who get some good sounds out of the Way Huge Blue Hippo.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I hear the Julia is really awesome, guise :lol:

telereissue likes this.
  17. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

This is my experience. I've owned the original (big) Chorus Ensemble (CE1) and the CE2 as well, and while I liked both, I did not love either one and felt stuck with thew one good tone "in a box" nature of each. The CE5 is, IMO, much better, not because I use the extreme tones, which I certainly do not (hating excessive chorus effects as I do) but because you really can dial in a good chorus tone with more control and precision than with the other units. I don't see any comparison, really. If you like the generic CE1 or CE2 or CE2W (which has thew CE1 switch, right?) then maybe you don't need the CE5, but IMO it is simply a better version of the same basic chorus.

18. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I think Jerry Cantrell uses the CE5. It's a good pedal.

If you want more versatile and like the idea of different modulation options, the wampler terraform is killer. Nice chorus, and also dimension which sounds better to me than chorus when using distortion

telereissue likes this.
  19. telereissue

telereissue TDPRI Member

So it's looking like a CE-5 is in the works.

whoanelly15 and DeepDangler like this.
  20. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Chasing something newer and 'better' when you have already have one of the best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.