Chorus in 3D!!

richey88

Friend of Leo's
Wanted to dip my toe back into chorus (child of the 80's here, backed off '95 - date, just wasn't cool anymore??), played the Boss Dimension C a while back, really enjoyed it, but pricey, saw the TC Electronics version and thought I would roll the dice. Really nice for the $$, soft to seasick, but no too wobbly. 16 combinations, really enjoying it! Jamming along w/ Dark Side of the Moon and it's cool.

At home these days, my bigger pedalboard hasn't seen the light of day in a while now, goes great with the JW Double Classic into a clean Fender. Wife happy I didn't buy a guitar :eek:)

Anyone else into chorus these days? Can get the "Come as You are" (Nirvana) tone, REM Driver 8, etc.....kinda cool....
3rd Dimension.jpg

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
That TC chorus is a good one. It’s not as powerful as the Boss Dimension but it’s similar for 1/4 the cost. I’ve fallen in love with chorus again and have ended my quest with a Boss CE-5. I like the clarity and subtlety of a digital chorus.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My friend has the Alien, it’s a cool unit. I use a Walrus Julia and lately I’ve been using a Demedash videotape echo for a faux chorus warble too. It’s cool if you don’t do it on every song.

Tuneup

Tele-Holic
I do like chorus especially for picking parts on a electric, it mellows acoustics out too.
However over time I came to prefer detune, a simple effect that slightly detunes multiple voices, we are talking cents or less.
There's something cleaner about it, it's subtle but you can hear it.
I use a Boss PS-6 Harmonist, and I have software that does this too.

When it comes to chorus, this is one of the best that I have heard: https://neunaber.net/collections/pedals/products/inspire-tri-chorus-ng

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Good suggestions. TC’s and Neunaber’s tri-choruses will give the DC-2w a run for its money. The DC-2w’s lightest setting in 320 mode is very “First Button Dimension D like”. It escalates into lush 80’s chorus pretty quickly beyond that. But, they are great. Another one that sounds pretty good in its lowest setting is the the new V2 version of the June 60 by TC. Cheap too!

Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Wanted to dip my toe back into chorus (child of the 80's here, backed off '95 - date, just wasn't cool anymore??), played the Boss Dimension C a while back, really enjoyed it, but pricey, saw the TC Electronics version and thought I would roll the dice. Really nice for the $$, soft to seasick, but no too wobbly. 16 combinations, really enjoying it! Jamming along w/ Dark Side of the Moon and it's cool.

At home these days, my bigger pedalboard hasn't seen the light of day in a while now, goes great with the JW Double Classic into a clean Fender. Wife happy I didn't buy a guitar :eek:)

Anyone else into chorus these days? Can get the "Come as You are" (Nirvana) tone, REM Driver 8, etc.....kinda cool.... View attachment 908352

That TC pedal is on Amazon for $39 right now! I was about to order one earlier tonight just, because of the price but I don't need 3 chorus pedals lol!

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
That TC is my favourite chorus pedal. Followed. by the Boss Ch-1.

I like how Mike Stern uses chorus. I think too, if you listen you hear it a lot more than people will admit.

For example to get something like a Brian May tone, single coils, into a warmish overdrive, into a cocked wah, into a chorus...

I use chorus all the time - not 'always on', but when it goes off, you notice when it's not there.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I have an 80’s DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus. My first pedal. I still have the battery door, though it does need a piece of electrical tape to stay on. I’ve never had any reason to try another, it’s perfect.

richey88

Friend of Leo's
I used to have one of the old Boss CE's (forget the actual model #, the big one that weighed a ton, pre standard Boss enclosure), but it sucked the tone right outta the amp. The 3rd D is crystal clear....anyone have a pic (of the old Voss doorstop)?

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have a Behringer black plastic clone of the Dimension C and was able to A/B it against a real Boss years ago. It was really close, WAY closer than their prices. I believe the TC chorus is a re-packing of the older Behringer. It’s a really nice-sounding chorus.