chords to willie nelson's "nightlife"

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by barncat, Feb 9, 2009.

1. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

I respectfully but strenuously and vehemently disagree. The fourth chord is an Ebaug11 in D or Dbaug11 in C, as was pointed out in the fifth post in the Steel Guitar Forum thread linked above (the first correct answer :rolleyes:):

These are the chord fingerings I attempt to use when I play solo, in order to preserve the voice leading I think I hear from Willie and his band:

Code:
        Cmaj7        Eb7        Abm7        Db7aug11       Cmaj7
    E___3____________x__________x___________3______x________x____
    B___5____________8__________8___________6______6________5____
    G___4____________6__________5___________4______4________4____
    D___x____________8__________7___________x______6________5____
    A___5____________x__________x___________x______4________3____
    E___x____________6__________5___________4______x________x____
    <rant>I consider the terminology we're forced to use in describing Western harmony theory cumbersome and crippling at best, but describing this chord as an "augmented eleventh" just may be the system's worst offense. First, in every other instance, the word "augmented" refers to sharpening the fifth degree of the scale, so the system breaks down. Second, describing the chord in this fashion requires us to remember that we're substituting a I#11+ for a V7. Rather than "substituting" Db7aug11 (Db G B Eb F, enharmonically speaking), it makes much more sense to me to simply acknowledge the fact that I'm playing a G7 which includes both a flatted fifth and a sharped fifth (G B D# F Db). For me, G7+b5 or G7augb5 is much easier to remember than Eb7aug11, and much more accurately describes the role of the chord in the song.</rant>

2. jlrich

jlrich Tele-Afflicted

:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. Squanto

Squanto TDPRI Member

Put it to bed already!

Anyone wishing to re-hash this old post, please shoot holes in this for me... when I listen to Willie Nelson's version of this from "Healing Hands Of Time"... I come up with this arrangement... (starting at the beginning) However, I am a 'rookie' at this (an old rookie that is). Anyway, PLEASE provide any thoughts...
    F9b5 F#9b5 C9 C#sus2sus4 F G# Fm C A7 Dm F9b5
    E-3-----4----3-----2------1---X----X---0--0---1-----1-----
    B-4-----5----3-----2------1---1----1---1--2---3-----5-----
    G-4-----5----3-----1------2---1----1---0--0---2-----4-----
    D-3-----4----2-----1------3---1----3---2--2---0-----3-----
    A-X-----X----3-----X------3---3----X---3--0---0-----3-----
    E-3-----4----3-----X------1---X----X---3--X---X-----X-----

Here's an alternate fingrering as I don't know how to align the chord names with the fingerings:

F9b5--------------3443X3--(note no 3rd)
    F#9b5------------4554X4--(note no 3rd)
    C9----------------333233
    C#sus2sus4-------2211XX
    F-----------------112331
    G#----------------X1113X
    Fm----------------X113XX
    C-----------------010233
    A7----------------02020X
    Dm----------------35433X

All I ask is that you try it for yourself before beating me up too badly. Thanks!

4. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

We still wanna know how Ken put that triangle symbol in post # 14.

5. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's a Greek capital Delta. Use "Character Map" on a Windows machine.

Δ

6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

On a Mac in Firefox: Edit > special characters > Math (then find the Delta, highlight it and click insert. ∆
    You can find all the necessary chord symbols there.

On my PC I used a key command: % # 9 1 6 ; but without the spaces. It also works on a mac ... Δ

7. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who sometimes struggles with names for these chords. Wouldn't #11 be better than aug11?

Syrynx, it seems to me more functional to call the substitute chord bii#11 for V7.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

1. At least where I am, #11 is the more common wording.

2. +1. The tritone is the right tone!

9. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What I know of theory tells me that "augmented" refers to raising the fifth and only the fifth, so any other raised note should be called "sharp" not augmented. The only difference to me is that I would want to call it a bII7#11 since it is major. I don't know what to make of syrynx's post (#21) because what he calls an Abm7 is an A natural minor 7th, and his second Dbaug11 is simply a Db7.

10. Leon Grizzard

I think that proper music school terminology is to called anything a half step higher than a major interval augmented. Like there is an augmented 2d between the sixth and seventh scale degrees of harmonic minor.

That is not the practice outside school, though. I agree with you on that.

11. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

wrong forum

12. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

13. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, I didn't realize what section this was in when I posted. I will edit the above post

14. Leon Grizzard

You guys must have longer thumbs than me, or be better at fretting two strings with one fingertip than me (who can't do it at all, consistently).

I can't quite make sense of how your progression is supposed to go, chord duration wise. And that last chord is a bear. I'll try it again tomorrow.

To make your tab post right, use an equally spaced font on your word processing program, such as Courier New. Don’t use over 50 spaces per line, or it may wrap when you paste it in. Copy your tab to your clipboard, and then use the insert button on the Advanced Reply screen [#]. Paste your tab between the brackets, and voila.

Code:
    F9b5  F#9b5 C9 C#sus2sus4 F  G#   Fm   C  A7 Dm F9b5
    E-3----4----3-----2-------1---X----X---0--0---1---1--
    B-4----5----3-----2-------1---1----1---1--2---3---5--
    G-4----5----3-----1-------2---1----1---0--0---2---4--
    D-3----4----2-----1-------3---1----3---2--2---0---3--
    A-X----X----3-----X-------3---3----X---3--0---0---3--
    E-3----4----3-----X-------1---X----X---3--X---X---X--

And PS, I think your alternate way of showing the fingerings is not the usual way. Most common is to show the strings low to high, left to right. Just sayin'.

Thanks for weighing in, though. I'm glad this thread got ressurected. I meant to try some of those other progressions but never got around to it. I don't know that I would change the way I play it, which seems to be a kind of common practice, but I may have picked up a few couch chords.

15. Squanto

Squanto TDPRI Member

Oops! So sorry Mr. Leon- I don't know how that last F9b5 got transposed at the end. If you look at my alternate fingering, it's the same as the opening F9b5. I have NO IDEA how I did that one... sorry to get you 'all bent outa shape' hehe...

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can't make any 'better' sense out of stuff next time...

16. eldorado52

eldorado52 TDPRI Member

Willie uses a different intro on his version from "the Essential Willie Nelson." His goes like this: Cmaj7 A7+5 Dm9 G13
    You may substitute C, A+, Dmin or D min7, G or G7 if you want it simpler. BTW, A+ means A augmented if you're puzzled by that one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.