1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chords that don't sound great on electrics but do on acoustics, & vice versa?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by RoscoeElegante, Apr 26, 2019.

1. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

it depends upon how you apply them. otherwise they are just----chords.

play music!

Hammerdog and Wally like this.
  2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think the sliding 6ths and 9ths in blues tunes like Stormy Monday and Five Long Years sound pretty wrong on acoustic but totally sublime on electric. A lot of open chords just seem better on acoustic, although they don't suck on electric either. But sometimes I'll pick up my acoustic and start playing some simple progression of cowboy chords just to hear them and feel the box reverberate against my gut. I'm really easy to please sometimes...

-Ray

matrix likes this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I find that chords in general sound better on a Gibson scale length than fender scale. for me, anyway.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Teleterr likes this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

F7 sounds a lot better on electric--when I play it... :oops:

5. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Ya know that's kind of a deceptively tricky song...we tried it with all sorts of different chord voicings and nothing clicked....there are some quick chord changes which often came out fumbled boomy and muddy when I or the rhythm guitar played them...so it may be the song rather than the guitar....

6. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I think it depends on the particular guitar--and your amp and pedals.

Although I'm ending up playing bass a lot these days, I have five guitars (two acoustics and three electrics) that I would like to be playing.

Each of them is different, and I play at least slightly differently with each one.

Cowboy chords that sound sweet if you're banging on a dreadnought might sound muddy on a Les Paul, for example.

The more gain or dirt you've got from your amp or pedals, the muddier full 6 note chords will sound, especially if you're playing "interesting" notes like 4s, 6s, or 9s. When playing electric I often play four only notes of a chord, although I might have played all 6 on acoustic.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's mostly due to sustain, you just can't hold some chords and give them vibrato on an acoustic like you can on a electric. I play daily on acoustic and practice everything I play on it including fast lead etc. Singing sustain and vibrato make certain chords sound much better on a electric. Same when playing chords and bending certain strings while chording for a faux lap steel sound. Much better on electric mostly due to the added sustain and lighter string gauge.

8. muswell_hillbilly

muswell_hillbilly Tele-Meister

Power chord (x5) breaking-up nicely (or not so nicely ;)) into a hand-built amp designed from this forum will sound better on electric

9. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Ebm7.

Can only be played on a small-bodied acoustic.

Preferably a 00 or 000...

muswell_hillbilly likes this.
  10. highwayjones

highwayjones TDPRI Member

Chords in the verse of Interstate Love Song......it seems the dissonance and musicality is lacking a bit on acoustic, vs electric.

11. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Never met a chord that didn't sound good on my tele. RM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.