1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chords JLV plays in "Wait On Time"???

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by E5RSY, Oct 18, 2010.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

There's also what appears to be a Twin Reverb turned to face stage right set up behind him on the drum riser. Maybe he was running through that.

2. Monster Mike Welch

Monster Mike Welch Tele-Meister

I think those are for Kim - he liked to run two amps, one on either side of the drums.

EDIT: Looking closer, it doesn't make sense that Kim's amp would be pointed straight at Jimmie, unless Jimmie was being punished for something. Is that Twin miked? Because the big stack of Boogie-looking objects are. I wonder if the Twin is either a spare or just driving the Vibratone.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

I don't remember the amps at that specific gig, but Jimmie usually used a hired Twin (same as Anson, Ronnie & virtually every other visiting American). If he's using a Boogie, maybe it belonged to Dave Edmunds? The Camden Palace gig was recorded a year or so before they recorded Tuff Enuff (produced by Edmunds) in London, & I remember reading that Down At Antones was recorded with Jimmie playing Edmunds' '59 dot neck 335 through his Boogie. So it's quite possible that Jimmie or Kim may have borrowed gear from Edmunds.

Is that a Vibratone? I assumed it was a Leslie. What's the difference?

4. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

I saw them at least once a year (in London) from 1980 till around '86 or '87, & I don't ever recall seeing Kim use more than one amp. I was young then, so I was usually right down the front at Dingwalls, so I think I would have noticed if he had two amps. I have vague memories of him using both a Bassman & a Concert, at different times.

I guess when you're using hired gear, you take what you can get?

5. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

A poor quality recording here, but it's the same gig but a longer take that runs into Ridin' In The Moonlight - the only number I can recall that they regularly played live but never recorded.

And Full Time Lover - same gig.

6. E5RSY

Two main differences:

1. The Vibratone was made specifically for guitar use, is much more portable, etc., etc. JLV and SRV both owned them.

2. In a Leslie cabinet the speaker turns. In a Vibratone a ported baffle rotates around a stationary speaker.

I didn't review the article for accuracy, but more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Vibratone

The sound in the "Scratch My Back" video above sounds a little over the top to me. I think he may have been using a Uni-Vibe pedal or similar there.

7. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

OK, thanks for that.

Assuming he was using a hired amp, would he have been able to hire a Vibratone here in 1985? Or would Jimmie have gone to the expense of flying one over?

8. E5RSY

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.