Chord inversions chart

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ponce, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Does anybody have a link to the chart of the most common chord inversions for a guitar? I'm kind of stuck in the usual 'cowboy' and barre shapes.:oops:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Dismalhead likes this.
  2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mickey Baker's book is the most practical and essential for jazz. Ted Greene is well known for his book Chord Chemistry, among others, in which he documents all manner of chord types and fingerings.

Speaking as a classical musician, the term inversion denotes which part of the chord (root, 3rd, 5th, etc) is in the bass. That's it. As long as, say, E is in the bass of a C chord, then the chord is in first inversion. If the 5th is in the bass, it is in 2nd inversion. Inversions get more interesting with seventh chords.

I'm not sure of a better term for inversion, as guitarists mean it. I think they are referring to voicings or fingerings.

pixeljammer, Wally and ponce like this.
  3. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I have these that I made myself, I personally find them invaluable! They are based on 7th chords built off of the 6th, 5th and 4th strings.

Attached Files:

pixeljammer and igor5 like this.
  4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

These are what I hand out to the guitar players when I clinic/coach at high schools, middle schools and even some colleges (depends on their level).
    The first page shows the most common shapes with the roots on the 6th and 5th strings. "X" means they're moveable. An open circle 0 = optional note. Hopefully you can see how most of them are related to the barre positions.
    The second page places (most of the time) the root on the 4th string and it's designated by a dot inside a circle. *These pages have evolved over time. Yes, I should probably re-do them. There are little written notes on each page to help.

Chords1.jpg Chords2.jpg

Obviously this is not comprehensive. This also has nothing to do with CAGED - which will inevitably come up. This is just a shape, grip or fingering 'cheat sheet' for triads, 7th chords, extensions and alterations.
    I chose voicings that aren't super difficult to finger. Beginner to intermediate level.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Axis29, pixeljammer and ecoast like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.