1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chord categories?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Hari Seldon, Jan 21, 2021.

1. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I hated jazz until I heard Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny. Love them both. I really love classical, celtic and pre classical music though, which is arguably more complex than jazz? Maybe I'm wrong there?

Jazz is insane music, put 3 or 4 or 5 virtuosos together improvising and what not... very difficult to understand at least for me.

I really love John Dowland... to me he is the real father of classical music... ahead of Bach. Not to diminish the latter.

Never heard the term cowboy chords... seems like a jibe against country musicians...

Anyhoo. Hate country anyway... (sorry my southern friends!)

2. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I love Billy and Craig both, but calling them “recent” comedians is a bit of a stretch. Craig’s Wikipedia page starts his years active at 1980. I daren’t even look at Billy’s. :eek::)

3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Not a stretch for me, I was raised on Jonathan Winters, Steve Allen, and Three Stooges.

4. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Edited: I realized my answer was not what the post was about. Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  5. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yep.
    Out here, whole notes are 'footballs'. In Nashville and Nashville adjacent they're 'diamonds'.
    'Upper Left' for the start of a chart.
    'Legit' for classical players or classical studies is now all of a sudden not PC because a handful of insecure rockers and jazzers thinks it's denigrating to them. *The term evolved from a (famous) trumpet etudes book by Gordon Stump that had the word legit in the title - Power Legit Trumpet Studies.
    We also don't call it a sus2 chord. Plain old '2' as in A2.

Nothing derogatory at all about 'cowboy chords'. I use 'em damn near everyday and they generally tend to make me more money than my jazz chords.

@superjam144 ... Jazz is the natural extension of Renaissance and Baroque music. Both are very linear, technically demanding and require the ability to improvise. All good jazz musicians are really into Bach.

6. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Such a long, strange trip it’s been in this discussion, I’m not sure if this has been mentioned...

Open / cowboy chords (and to a possibly lesser extent, barre) are often and more easily used for [seemingly more] simple strumming. They are more forgiving of hitting strings unintentionally.

So in the spirit of the thread’s original quest, those might be “grouped” as being strum-worthy.

klasaine likes this.
  7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

"Dixieland" is no longer acceptable for Trad Jazz, and probably with good cause. But Trad Jazz might be related to: "Jazz is the natural extension of Renaissance and Baroque music. Both are very linear, technically demanding and require the ability to improvise. All good jazz musicians are really into Bach."
    Not just as Jazz, but because ... counterpoint and the intertwined improvisations during the melody. ???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.