Chopper T / Area T Combo Questions

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by hippesthippo, Apr 2, 2021.

1. hippesthippo

hippesthippo TDPRI Member

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm installing a DiMarzio Chopper T Bridge and Area T Neck into a new tele build. Before I heat up the soldering iron, I figured I may as well ask a few questions here:

1) Are the Area T and Chopper T in phase out of the box, or do I need to swap the red and green on one of them? I know it's in the instructions to swap when using the Chopper opposite a single coil, but the Area T is neither a single coil or a humbucker.

2) Thoughts on pots? If memory serves me correctly, the last time I used a Chopper T Bridge PU I installed it with a 250k volume and 500k tone and I remember it sounded great. However, I've never used an Area T before.

That's it for now. I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

2. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The pickups are out of phase with each other wire one red hot and the other green hot. It doesn't matter which. I generally use 250K pots.

SbS likes this.
  3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I had 250 on the Chopper T I had. Plenty of treble. Had it on a series/parallel switch. Sort of a low output humbuckerish in series, and spanky Tele in parallel.

I did notice in the "Tech Talk" section of the pickup description Dimarzio has 250s on the diagram, but also mentions 500. Same with the Area.

I'd stick to 250 for the bridge, as I was very pleased with the results. I haven't tried the Area neck.

Sounds like a great combo!

4. hippesthippo

hippesthippo TDPRI Member

Perfect! Thanks for your help.

5. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You’re welcome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.