Choosing pickups for first electric guitar

chaosman12

Tele-Meister
I have build thread going and I am coming up on starting the body. I want to get the pickups before doing any cutting and thought I'd make a separate thread to solicit ideas and opinion on pickups.

I've never owned an electric but have done a lot of reading and YouTubing and do have a few parameters

1. Three pickup strat like setup ((single coil size)
2. I'm thinking about mounting them from the back (i.e no pick guard).
3. I like a variety of music types, and I'm not looking for a pickup suited for any particular style such as blues, surf, jazz, SRV etc.
4. I haven't picked and amp yet. I just play around the house or with a few friends. I'm torn between a low wattage basic tube amp or a modeler! I know, big range. Does a modeler, make the pickup choice less critical?

Here's some pickups that I found with Google:

StewMac Golden age $200 per set

Seymour Duncan "noiseless" $109 each

Fishman Fluence - $235 per set

Fender $100-$250 per set

Thanks for your opinions, things to avoid, or just some high level educational guidance for this newcomer.
I'm also curious about some of the buzzwords such as "hot", "vintage" and "noiseless". Would a non-musician know the difference between a hot and a not-hot pickup (I"m talking guitar pickups BTW ;-)

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
do yourself a favor.. choose a set that delivers the good old classic Strat voice... personally, I'd go with something from Fralin or Lollar... if cost is an issue you cannot buy a better pup for the money than the Bill Lawrence MicroCoils..