Choosing New Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by MerleJam, Feb 9, 2020.

1. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

I ended up going the carbon fiber route. I never wanted to gig my expensive wood acoustics, and on cheaper guitars I got tired of split tops, lifting bridges, sprouting frets... lol. And through a PA they don't really sound all that much different (unless you are mic'ing the soundhole... no thanks to that with drummer and bass... lol).

Love my Rainsong it sounds and plays fantastic. So consistent. 100 degrees? Pull it out and it's in tune and ready to roll. -10 below? Pull it out and it's in tune and ready to roll. Paddle a canoe with it? Pull it out and it's in tune and ready to roll.

To be fair though, we do a TON of outdoor gigs so it may be more of a factor to me than others.

MerleJam and ale.istotle like this.
  2. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Try a Sigma

Thy started as a Martin second Brand, I believe...

I have one.... It made me sell my Gibson, really

MerleJam likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Buddy of mine really likes his EPI
    AJ45

MerleJam likes this.
  4. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the info. This place truly is a treasure. I went to my go to store and played a couple solid blueridge, lower end martins, Gibson’s new entry acoustic and some eastman. I ended up coming back to the cheapest guitar I tried. Eastman E1D. Tough choice because there was a BEAUTIFUL E6d beside it with the prettiest Mahogany back I’ve seen in person. But it was almost twice the price and didn’t do it for me sound wise like the E1d did. 489 with a gig bag is crazy for this guitar. I haven’t went and bought it yet but it is set aside for me. Probably be first of March before I can bring it home. The E6d played and sounded a lot like my D18. The E1 was a tad brighter but it seemed to sing and just felt alive.

ale.istotle and Geoff738 like this.
  5. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

I have always wanted to try one. The idea of pulling my guitar out of an air conditioned car and hitting the stage in the middle of summer and being in tune is definitely intriguing.

6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I just sold my wife on a few days in Nashville, a tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery, visiting Forest Lee Jr Custom Guitars, and the Gallagher Guitar factory.

7. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

Just wear out your D18. Unless it is an extremely valuable guitar, I can’t think of a better way to use an instrument.
    I also like seagull guitars if you want a nicely made guitar for not a ton of money.

P Thought likes this.
  8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

To the OP, pics when you get it home please.

Cheers,
    Geoff

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

don't mess around. Buy a Takamine Glenn Frey model USED.

You can bury them in mud for a month and they'll come out in tune and the battery will still be fine.

sound great, perfect for gigging...

P Thought likes this.
  10. Fendarr

Fendarr Tele-Meister

Epiphone Masterbilts are fantastic guitars for the money.

11. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

For sure, check out the OM or WS Concert Hybrid. Just killer guitars, great necks. Plays fast. I have the Parlor and love it, but it's pretty small which some people do not like. Only thing I would do different is get a 14 fret to the body with a longer scale. Just because there's a couple of tunes we wrote where I had to change what I was playing slightly for melodies, and I miss playing leads up there. Other than that it has become my main gig guitar. I'll always have a wood acoustic around, but I will also always have a carbon fiber / composite.

12. Poorman512

Poorman512 TDPRI Member

Don't buy an epiphone masterbilt without playing it. They can be great a buddy of mine has a good one,but i played one at guitar center that was deader than a 100 dollar fender. Quality is inconsistent. Will I get shot for recommending a taylor? Super consistent and bulletproof.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go for a used Larrivee, a used USA-made Guild, or a used Gibson LG-0.

All are absurdly under-valued by shoppers, so you get a big twang for the buck.

fishermike likes this.
  14. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Congrats on the incoming E1D! I was going to vote for an Eastman all the way. There is a very small shop in the next town from me owned by a life-long violin and guitar luthier, and he has a half dozen new Eastman acoustics and jazz boxes at any given time; I can't believe the quality, playability and sound for the prices. They are "Made in China" but more specifically, hand-made by luthiers in Beijing. I've got my eye on one of the orchestra body acoustics, the E20M which at $600 is sweet as hell, very comfy and plays like butter. Thinking of trading my D-16. Hmmm.

15. Charlie Bernstein

Oops. Skimmed right past #25, where you announced the Rainsong. Love 'em. Congrats!

I used to have a solid-body electric with an aluminum neck, and same story: weather had absolutely no effect.

And to answer the question a lot of people ask: cold fingers? No. They thought of that and gave the neck an ebony fretboard and two fat mahogany skunk stripes.

16. Charlie Bernstein

How much did you get for her?

17. Charlie Bernstein

Augusta guy here. What's the store? I'm not shopping, but I love browsing.

Old Plank likes this.
  18. Old Plank

hey Charlie!, cool, I'm in Boothbay. The store is Salt Bay Trading Rugs and Musical. Super nice guy David; and his wife Jenny handles the oriental rug end. It's in a small building on Route 1 in Newcastle, across the road from Newcastle Chrysler and Mexicali Blues, roughly. Just be aware that the usual ~ half dozen Eastmans comprise about half of the overall stock, so it's not like going to Buckdancers or Friendly River. That being said there are currently a couple of very nice used Strats in. (As a side note, Ned Steinberger, who created and then sold Steinberger guitars, is only a few more miles north up Rt 1 in Nobleboro at his NS Designs location, altho there's not really a retail store there.) If you haven't gone to Friendly River in Hiram/Cornish though, that is a vintage heaven must. I also just learned that Kennebec Instrument and Amplifier moved from Augusta to the Ft. Andross building in Brunswick last summer, I need to check that out and possibly have them do a re-fret on my '59 Tele. Anyway, happy browsing!

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  19. Charlie Bernstein

Oh! I like Salt Bay. Nice shop. Didn't know Steinberger was in Maine—interesting. Hard on the eyes, but I hear they're good instruments.

Love Friendly River. I've bought one and sold one there. Used to be in a band with the owner's brother.

Didn't know Joel moved to Fort Andross. He's my go-to amp whisperer.

Just to share guit tips, check out Patkus Guitars and Repair nect time you're in Waterville. Dennis is a hell of a nice guy and a pro luthier, and he has some very cool guitars hanging on his racks: https://www.facebook.com/Patkusguitarandrepair/

Keep on pluckin'!

Old Plank likes this.
  20. Old Plank

hey thanks for this tip, will do for sure ... always stop by Down Home in Fairfield when passing thru so this will be an additional welcome pit-stop!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.