Choosing is never easy…Duesenberg, Les Paul, or Rickenbacker….?

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
Have you considered a Gretsch? A Duojet with Dynasonics might get you in that territory. My LP with mini humbuckers gets pretty jangly too.
I have also considered that. I think the Dyna is the pickup I’d enjoy most. If I go Gretsch I want a big body though! I’ve owned a few Electromatics and they just never gelled with me, but had filter style pickups or the 2k’s.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I have also considered that. I think the Dyna is the pickup I’d enjoy most. If I go Gretsch I want a big body though! I’ve owned a few Electromatics and they just never gelled with me, but had filter style pickups or the 2k’s.
I hear you. I had an electromatic ProJet before I had my Duojet. They might get be the same shape, but they are completely different sounding and feeling guitars. The Projets were a great deal, but the Duojet blows it out of the water.

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
I hear you. I had an electromatic ProJet before I had my Duojet. They might get be the same shape, but they are completely different sounding and feeling guitars. The Projets were a great deal, but the Duojet blows it out of the water.
That's good to hear. I always feel like they aren't for me based on experience, but I know the Gretsch guys always say you just have to find the right pickups for your own Gretsch sound, .

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
Certainly.
I just acquired the first pictured Paul, and the “unburst” finish really drew me in.
It’s fairly lightweight, and has a slightly smaller neck, more like a 59 reissue.

The Duesenberg is Gretsch with Filtertron-like.
It’s tremolo works beautifully, is easy to restring, and stays in tune.
It’s a better conceptualized instrument, IMO.
I love Les Pauls, but mostly as art/sculpture.
They are hard for me to keep in tune, no matter what I try.
As you know, Pauls are mid-rangey.
The Custom sounds best of the 3, and is my favorite Paul.
The gold top sounds great, too, but hums, so I don’t gig with it.
The Duesenberg is the sonic winner!
Well you have a nice family of guitars! Are those staple P90's? I love a nice honey or more mellow burst, also gold tops!
I feel like the sonic zone of the Duesenberg is more where I enjoy, and I don't have anything with a Trem currently. The trem they make also seems super well regarded.
I think my Les Paul longing is half because they are so classic.
I have tried all three, ended up in the Gibson CS 336 followed by the Gibson Johnny A.

You get the airiness of the Dusenburg but in the small body 335 shape. That said the Dusenburgs are great guitars and will always standout.

Also check out Heritage if you're set on a Les Paul, slightly cheaper US made Les Paul but just as (or even better) made than a Gibson.
I don't know if I could convince her to go to $5k for the 336, but wow those are beautiful! I have looked at Heritage, but not well enough to say I know anything. I should look further at those.
I have the Starplayer TV and Les Paul Traditional. Neither get played that much as i prefer my Tele to my other guitars. The Les Paul has more bite which I prefer. The Duesenberg is a better made guitar with much clearer pickups. A P90 in the neck and their humbucker in the bridge.

If I had to chose which to keep, I’d pick the Les Paul. It’s more my sound for the rock genre we play.
They both sound great, that's why it's hard! I think the clarity of the Duesenberg tempts me more, and that I can always wait it out for a steal on a LP at some point knowing they are common.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
That's good to hear. I always feel like they aren't for me based on experience, but I know the Gretsch guys always say you just have to find the right pickups for your own Gretsch sound, .
I've tried a number of Gretsch's. Did not like the necks and the dead sounding body. Never plugged one in though. I'll try again someday, they are attractive guitars.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Go for the Ric 330.

- iconic guitar
- gorgeous
- tone unlike any other guitar
- uncommon; when you break out a Ric, everyone gasps

I have three Rics -- a 330, a John Lennon 325, a 360 12 string. The 330 is the one that gets the most play. I love that guitar sooooo much.

IMG-E0234cropclone6-USE2.jpg

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well you have a nice family of guitars! Are those staple P90's? I love a nice honey or more mellow burst, also gold tops!
I feel like the sonic zone of the Duesenberg is more where I enjoy, and I don't have anything with a Trem currently. The trem they make also seems super well regarded.
I think my Les Paul longing is half because they are so classic.

They both sound great, that's why it's hard! I think the clarity of the Duesenberg tempts me more, and that I can always wait it out for a steal on a LP at some point knowing they are common.
Thanks.
I don’t know what the Paul’s finish color is called, but I love it!
The pickups are Seymour Duncan Custom
Shop Alnico V “Staple” single coils.
Though they are indeed P90 size, they are not P90s, and they sound very different, IMO.
They are more akin to DeArmond Dynasonics.
The pole piece raising mechanism is very interesting, and far removed from the much simpler P90.
In short, I am not a P90 fan.
These pickups are clearer sounding, IMO.
They’re more like a great sounding Strat pickup.

Last edited:

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
Go for the Ric 330.

- iconic guitar
- gorgeous
- tone unlike any other guitar
- uncommon; when you break out a Ric, everyone gasps

I have three Rics -- a 330, a John Lennon 325, a 360 12 string. The 330 is the one that gets the most play. I love that guitar sooooo much.

IMG-E0234cropclone6-USE2.jpg
Nice collection! When I pull out my 620 it always gets reactions. They are a breed of their own, and always an attention getter.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
This coming autumn is the ten year anniversary for the spouse and I. We are looking at both getting something “nice” as we haven’t bought expensive gifts for each other for the occasion. I’m trying to decide which of the three in the title I’d like.

A little back info. I play in a 3 piece indie/pop/alt type originals as the singer and guitar. Silverface Twin Reverb with just a hint of drive through a pedal. It edges a bit ambient at parts, I’d say between The Edge and Peter Buck if I had to list sounds likes.

I’ve always wanted a Rickenbacker 330…my hero is Tom Petty. A lot of my other idols use them. I do have a 620 though…..which makes me also want something more varied for sound.

Les Pauls….who doesn’t want one? I had a honey burst 50’s tribute with P90s I should have never sold, but it was for family expenses and a necessity. I enjoy them, a good one sounds great.

Recently I’ve looked a lot at a Duesenberg Starplayer TV. These seem to have immense clarity while still sounding thick with dirt. They also just look cool. (Where it’s made doesn’t concern me before that’s tossed out there). It seems to cover some LP tones, but chime a bit like a powerful Rickenbacker.

What I already have….
Rickenbacker 620
Gibson SG Special with minis
Tele Deluxe Style Build
Tele Thinline Style Build with neck Humbucker

Figured you are all crazy like me and stay up late debating the merits of this or that, so I figured I’d ask opinions and thoughts of all you fine people. Let me hear it.
I suppose you need a Duesen ex machina. I have a LP, Strat, H555 and a Tele so my choice is self evident.
I played one at a Guitar shop about 4 years ago. Very bright, great feel. Definitely pricey but, hey, is there really that much time left?

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
You already have the SG with mini's for the kind of humbucker sound you need for what you play. So you don't really need an LP with hot pickups to grind out harder rock. I'd go for the D-burg. Different, new territory.

Can you play one locally before you buy? Sometimes I fancy a particular guitar... but then I play it and I realize in minutes that it's not something I want.

Last edited:

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
With that name, the answer better be Germany.

They aren't 'made' in Germany ... much like Fender's aren't 'made' in the USA any more.

I think the official line is that they are assembled in Germany from parts made all over the place.