Choosing is never easy…Duesenberg, Les Paul, or Rickenbacker….?

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
This coming autumn is the ten year anniversary for the spouse and I. We are looking at both getting something “nice” as we haven’t bought expensive gifts for each other for the occasion. I’m trying to decide which of the three in the title I’d like.

A little back info. I play in a 3 piece indie/pop/alt type originals as the singer and guitar. Silverface Twin Reverb with just a hint of drive through a pedal. It edges a bit ambient at parts, I’d say between The Edge and Peter Buck if I had to list sounds likes.

I’ve always wanted a Rickenbacker 330…my hero is Tom Petty. A lot of my other idols use them. I do have a 620 though…..which makes me also want something more varied for sound.

Les Pauls….who doesn’t want one? I had a honey burst 50’s tribute with P90s I should have never sold, but it was for family expenses and a necessity. I enjoy them, a good one sounds great.

Recently I’ve looked a lot at a Duesenberg Starplayer TV. These seem to have immense clarity while still sounding thick with dirt. They also just look cool. (Where it’s made doesn’t concern me before that’s tossed out there). It seems to cover some LP tones, but chime a bit like a powerful Rickenbacker.

What I already have….
Rickenbacker 620
Gibson SG Special with minis
Tele Deluxe Style Build
Tele Thinline Style Build with neck Humbucker

Figured you are all crazy like me and stay up late debating the merits of this or that, so I figured I’d ask opinions and thoughts of all you fine people. Let me hear it.

Last edited:

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Duesenberg sounds like a nice compromise between the LP and Rick.

Your band sounds cool, shoot me a link!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Another vote for the Duesenberg, or Les Paul!
Here’s mine.
The Duesenberg sounds great, and stays in tune perfectly.
52A1536C-9FEF-43E9-808A-D3A548BD3F5A.jpeg
CE7D389A-2FC9-4C49-B64E-2910042C8685.jpeg
C81E514F-2EBA-4727-BD15-D39B1D159006.jpeg
69341FBC-C25D-40A5-97D6-C0679D3AD16F.jpeg

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Deusenberg all the way, and with a fraction of the price difference between the Deusenberg and a Gibson, have a lovely, all expenses weekend of luxury together in a spa of her choice. Champers, hot tubs and pampering.

disclaimer: I had a Les Paul. It did nothing my SG can't do, but was heavier, had poorer access to the dusty end and felt claustrophobic in comparison, so my bias isn't in the LP court.

runstendt

Tele-Meister
I think I'm the first one to suggest the Rickenbacker. If it is something that you've always wanted getting a Les Paul or a Deusenberg is not going to change that, it will just delay your eventual ownership. The only issue would be if you want one right now, 330's are sold out just about everywhere. Then again, I do play two Ric's, so I might be biased.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
Dusenberg Starplayer def.got the tones.. surprisingly bright and jangly… a nice Indie vibe. Good rhythm instruments. Got one in our band. I really liked playing it. Lot of ‘air’ in the sounds. I think they are a little overpriced though.

I don't like Rickenbacker necks myself but that is just me.

Les Pauls can be a bit middy - esp. with FX and a one trick pony and everyone has one. So 3rd choice for me.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Duesenberg, although I would want to sit down with a few first. I love the look of the Caribou especially.

I say this because I also wanted a Rickenbacker 330 for the longest time, until I played a few and decided I didn't actually like them... other than how they looked.

As a curveball suggestion I've been looking at the Gretsch "G6659T Players Edition Broadkaster® Jr. Center Block with Bigsby®" (in smoke green two-tone) for a smaller bodied, semi-hollow guitar.

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
For me, it'd be the Doozy or the Lester. Probably the Doozy - you can swing a dead cat and hit 3 LPs.
That was definitely a reason I am hesitant on the LP. Not that they aren't great, but it's nice to have something different.
Duesenberg sounds like a nice compromise between the LP and Rick.

Your band sounds cool, shoot me a link!
I agree, part of my leanings that way!
I will have to put up the Soundcloud link, sadly all I have are my self recorded demos before creating the band. Recording is on our summer list.....!
Another vote for the Duesenberg, or Les Paul!
Here’s mine.
The Duesenberg sounds great, and stays in tune perfectly. View attachment 963025 View attachment 963026 View attachment 963027 View attachment 963028
Since you own both, mind giving me your two cents on the differences, similarities, and pros/cons? I love the burst on your first pictured LP!
I think I'm the first one to suggest the Rickenbacker. If it is something that you've always wanted getting a Les Paul or a Deusenberg is not going to change that, it will just delay your eventual ownership. The only issue would be if you want one right now, 330's are sold out just about everywhere. Then again, I do play two Ric's, so I might be biased.
This is a very valid point. I think I will end up with all three at some point...so it's a matter of what now and what belongs to the anniversary. I also would reallllly like to find a white, red or mapleglo (with black appointments) and that hasn't gotten any easier in the current guitar market. My first nice guitar was a dark blue with black 610 that I would kill to have back. Those 80's hi-gains were something special.
What Ric's do you have?
Dusenberg Starplayer def.got the tones.. surprisingly bright and jangly… a nice Indie vibe. Good rhythm instruments. Got one in our band. I really liked playing it. Lot of ‘air’ in the sounds. I think they are a little overpriced though.

I don't like Rickenbacker necks myself but that is just me.

Les Pauls can be a bit middy - esp. with FX and a one trick pony and everyone has one. So 3rd choice for me.
You had to go and say airy, which I love in the tone. Part of why I enjoy my thin line. I do mostly rhythm, but with some leads and a lot of chord picking so that is enticing.
Duesenberg, although I would want to sit down with a few first. I love the look of the Caribou especially.

I say this because I also wanted a Rickenbacker 330 for the longest time, until I played a few and decided I didn't actually like them... other than how they looked.

As a curveball suggestion I've been looking at the Gretsch "G6659T Players Edition Broadkaster® Jr. Center Block with Bigsby®" (in smoke green two-tone) for a smaller bodied, semi-hollow guitar.
Of course I live in Northern Minnesota, so not a dealer in sight for them. A buddy in the Twin Cities is going to let me know if he finds any in shop so I can sit down with some.
Duesenberg, no contest.

But that's probably just because I don't see them as often as the others, and I'm trying to make you spend your money for my benefit.
Well, we all have to live through somebody!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That was definitely a reason I am hesitant on the LP. Not that they aren't great, but it's nice to have something different.

Since you own both, mind giving me your two cents on the differences, similarities, and pros/cons? I love the burst on your first pictured LP!
Certainly.
I just acquired the first pictured Paul, and the “unburst” finish really drew me in.
It’s fairly lightweight, and has a slightly smaller neck, more like a 59 reissue.

The Duesenberg is Gretsch with Filtertron-like.
It’s tremolo works beautifully, is easy to restring, and stays in tune.
It’s a better conceptualized instrument, IMO.
I love Les Pauls, but mostly as art/sculpture.
They are hard for me to keep in tune, no matter what I try.
As you know, Pauls are mid-rangey.
The Custom sounds best of the 3, and is my favorite Paul.
The gold top sounds great, too, but hums, so I don’t gig with it.
The Duesenberg is the sonic winner!

Last edited:

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm

I agree, part of my leanings that way!
I will have to put up the Soundcloud link, sadly all I have are my self recorded demos before creating the band. Recording is on our summer list.....!

This is a very valid point. I think I will end up with all three at some point...so it's a matter of what now and what belongs to the anniversary. I also would reallllly like to find a white, red or mapleglo (with black appointments) and that hasn't gotten any easier in the current guitar market. My first nice guitar was a dark blue with black 610 that I would kill to have back. Those 80's hi-gains were something special.
What Ric's do you have?

You had to go and say airy, which I love in the tone. Part of why I enjoy my thin line. I do mostly rhythm, but with some leads and a lot of chord picking so that is enticing.

Of course I live in Northern Minnesota, so not a dealer in sight for them. A buddy in the Twin Cities is going to let me know if he finds any in shop so I can sit down with some.

Well, we all have to live through somebody!

i have to correct myself.. it is a Dusenburg Paloma with a P90 style neck PU.. why it sounds better.

The newer ones are more strat like PUs.

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I have tried all three, ended up in the Gibson CS 336 followed by the Gibson Johnny A.

You get the airiness of the Dusenburg but in the small body 335 shape. That said the Dusenburgs are great guitars and will always standout.

Also check out Heritage if you're set on a Les Paul, slightly cheaper US made Les Paul but just as (or even better) made than a Gibson.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
This coming autumn is the ten year anniversary for the spouse and I. We are looking at both getting something “nice” as we haven’t bought expensive gifts for each other for the occasion. I’m trying to decide which of the three in the title I’d like.

A little back info. I play in a 3 piece indie/pop/alt type originals as the singer and guitar. Silverface Twin Reverb with just a hint of drive through a pedal. It edges a bit ambient at parts, I’d say between The Edge and Peter Buck if I had to list sounds likes.

I’ve always wanted a Rickenbacker 330…my hero is Tom Petty. A lot of my other idols use them. I do have a 620 though…..which makes me also want something more varied for sound.

Les Pauls….who doesn’t want one? I had a honey burst 50’s tribute with P90s I should have never sold, but it was for family expenses and a necessity. I enjoy them, a good one sounds great.

Recently I’ve looked a lot at a Duesenberg Starplayer TV. These seem to have immense clarity while still sounding thick with dirt. They also just look cool. (Where it’s made doesn’t concern me before that’s tossed out there). It seems to cover some LP tones, but chime a bit like a powerful Rickenbacker.

What I already have….
Rickenbacker 620
Gibson SG Special with minis
Tele Deluxe Style Build
Tele Thinline Style Build with neck Humbucker

Figured you are all crazy like me and stay up late debating the merits of this or that, so I figured I’d ask opinions and thoughts of all you fine people. Let me hear it.
I have the Starplayer TV and Les Paul Traditional. Neither get played that much as i prefer my Tele to my other guitars. The Les Paul has more bite which I prefer. The Duesenberg is a better made guitar with much clearer pickups. A P90 in the neck and their humbucker in the bridge.

If I had to chose which to keep, I’d pick the Les Paul. It’s more my sound for the rock genre we play.