1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Choke wire colors

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Tom Kamphuys, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

My choke (Hammond 194F) has a black and a red wire. In my theoretical world it wouldn't matter whether it was connected one way or the other to the circuit. Is there a practical reason why they would give the wires different colors? Am I missing something?

2. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

My vintage Blackface Fender has 2 black wires. Not sure why it would matter, but what do I know?

3. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My ClassicTone choke had two black wires. Classic, for sure. :)

I agree with your guess, Tom, they're equivalent, but I await enlightenment from the wise ones...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Kevin Wolfe and sds1 like this.
  4. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

Only a guess- Much like Leo fender, they had or got some red wire cheap or were running low on black..... Others with more knowledge will hopefully provide other applicable answers.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

maybe test it. hook up to a headset and put it next the your power transformer. distance and orientation matter. I'd set it in a spot that makes a noticeable hum, then switch leads

I've used headphones to find optimum positions for choke & output trannys, funny I never thought to switch leads. kinda doubt it will matter but who knows. now I gotta try that

6. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Either wire will work. Can't say why they would use two different colors but I like koolaides theory. It's just one long wire coiled up around a bobbin, with a hookup wire on each end to connect it into the circuit. You can use it in either direction with the same results.

King Fan and sds1 like this.
  7. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

There is a *start* and *finish* to any winding. IDK if it makes a difference with a choke. I do like the proposal from @dogmeat to check it out.
    Hey, the inner and outer make an audible difference with capacitors so maybe.

Kevin Wolfe and dogmeat like this.
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

so.... I put a small Fender choke next to an 18 watt Classic Tones power tranny and couldn't tell any difference by listening. I hooked up the O-scope and there was no appreciable difference in induced voltage when switching leads.

9. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This is very edifying for rookies like me.
    Thanks for the effort!

dogmeat likes this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

ya well... it's one of those things you don't think about but when somebody does... ya just gotta find out, so thanks all, now I know too!

dan40 and screefer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.