1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chinese Tools

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Davecam48, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just went for a walk in our suburb here in Nanning Cn. Passed a little hole-in-the-wall hardware selling power tools and just about everything else all jammed into a 12X12' garage.

Scores a 4" circular saw blade and 6 router blades all for 62Y that's a bit less than $10.00 Aud. the router blades are reasonable quality by the look but 1/4" shafts. The guy thought 1/2" shafts were a bit strange and shook his head laughing loudly, but I have a few 1/4" routers so I can use them.

inventory:-

2x 1/4" straight cut
    1X 1/2" top bearing guided
    1X 5/16" " " "
    1X 3/8" " " "
    1X 1" round over guided
    plus the saw blade for $10.00 :p

2. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

We have Harbor Freight here in the states that sells chinese tools at absurd low prices. They run weekly specials and sometimes the price is worth it even if the tool only works once or twice. I know guys who are on their 5th or 6th angle grinders from Harbor Freight because they can't turn down the $15 price.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

That'd be a great band name.

4. acousticman1

acousticman1 Tele-Meister

Wouldn't be bad for a one time project but I highly doubt that the edges would hold up for much longer than that...

I have enough trouble keeping my higher quality bits and blades sharp :)

I honestly can not think of one cheap tool I have owned that did not quickly break/damage what I was working on.

Edit: I actually have a cheap 20 dollar 'rotary tool' mini dremel I bought about 7 years ago, but it I only use it for delicate detail work as it is not powerful enough for anything serious. Also, it's not like you are going to have quality problems with a one speed motor which is the extent of the tool :)

5. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

replace those bearings and collars when you can

6. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

I have quite a few Harbour Freight purchased tools. My 10 buck "topMan" razor saw is perfect for cutting fret slots. I use the 2 hp 8 gallon compressor for spraying, and the spray gun. a bench top drill press - scroll saw, jitterbug sander, 2 foot drill bits. All still are working for me.

I do draw the line when safety is concerned. I will never put myself in a situation where I am working under a car while it is supported by a HF product.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a pair of harbor freight saw horses. They are plastic. I have a piece of 4 foot x 1 foot or so melamine shelving on top of them. My 8 1/2 Hitachi compound radius saw sits on top of that..... The horses are bending under the weight......

8. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

9. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

About 20 years ago I remember buying an assortment of sandpaper from HF. It would last about two or three strokes and then it was completely useless, as opposed to barely useful when it was fresh. Funny enough, I wasn't really mad about it, I just felt really sorry for Chinese carpenters:(

10. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I have a bunch of HF tools. Some of my most-used tools come from HF...

safety gear (goggles and ear protection)
    measuring stuff, straightedges, squares, tape, ruler
    forstner bits
    spade bits
    self centering bits
    flush cut hand saw
    clamps, clamps, and more clamps
    sanding drums for drill press

I will say that I'm weary of anything from HF that plugs in to an electrical outlet, but I have a drill press that I bought used that probably came from HF and it works fine. And I have an 8" automotive style buffer that is good too.

Some of their tools I have had problems with:

Brad point drill bits (almost all of them were warped and wouldn't cut straight)

Sandpaper (thought I was sanding up a pile of sawdust but it was actually the grit from the sandpaper coming off)

Hand reamer - it loses its edge quickly if you try to ream out a metal control plate or output jack with it. Its fine if you're only working with wood though

Taps and dies - but good stuff for these. I broke off one of their taps in an engine block and then had to drill through the tap to get it out. That steel does not like being drilled through, lol.

11. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

I refuse to shop there. (Harbor Freight). I just can't support what they stand for-

12. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

which is...

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The other thing that makes me nervous is, these tools operate at high speeds and I don't want these cutting tools flying apart and injuring somebody.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.