Chinese Counterfeit Guitars Are Upping Their Game

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Some time back I copyrighted the copyright symbol (the little c in a circle).

So whenever there would be a copyright symbol, there was then a smaller one attached to it.

I just couldn't make them small enough to protect myself to infinity, and I was then eventually ripped off

bender66 likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There's a couple interesting stories in Strat In The Attic you might want to check out then. One is concerning LP himself.

I couldn't agree with you more.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Would it help if I agree we both feel the same way about this? :cool:

exactopposite likes this.
  4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just be glad you didn't accuse Madonna of counterfeiting guitars!

5. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I happened to stop by a friends house a couple weeks ago just minutes after a packaged guitar arrived from China. He had ordered an "ES Jazz 335" for $295 plus free shipping online and specifically ordered one in which the ad didn't say "Gibson" and none of the pictures showed "Gibson." He opened the package to reveal a genuinely beautiful ES-335 with "Gibson" on the headstock. We played it and except for needing the frets dressed it played great. We plugged it in to an amp and it sounded good (I couldn't hang around while he compared it to his other guitars) Anyway my friend was not pleased at all about Gibson being on the headstock. He offered to sell it to me and I said no thanks.

Regardless of law and morality, $295 for that beautiful guitar is an incredibly great price. Obviously if he keeps it, it will be interesting to see the longevity/quality of the guitar.

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Buying fakes encourages the Fakers to branch-out.
    Be it an iPhone, a TV set, Automotive Tools or, Medical Equipment.

While the Chinese (and every other country) know it is wrong, they also know that there is good money to be made selling to the people who create the Demand.

7. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Why fake anything when you have the opportunity to do something great yourself.

Obsessed and Tatercaster like this.
  8. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Saw a double neck 6/12 Rickenbacker for $350, very tempting.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Can you get some good DETAILED pics of it? Like, pull the pickups to show the neck joint, closeup of the fretboard, stick the camera in the F-holes etc?

It'd be interesting to see how far they've actually "upped their game" because so far, every corner cut in a typical Epiphone is even worse in every Chibson I've seen.

10. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry, I won't be able to get detailed pictures. I only go over to his house a couple times a year at most.

11. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

They may be perfectly legal in China, if the "first registration" rule applies to trademarks etc - which I think it does. While there are clearly moral issues, I'm not sure what the legalities are when someone tries to sell them in a country (the great majority) where original ownership of a trademark is recognised.

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Let's not forget that the most popular build threads the TDPRI (and probably any guitar website on the planet) has ever seen have been a commercial entity's ripoffs just like the Chinese do. There was quite the kerfuffle until the threads were re-jigged to eliminate the trademark infractions.

Is it only bad if they're ripped of badly? Will we love counterfeit guitars when they become well-made?

IOW - can we deduce that as guitarists we're offended by badly-made versions of what we love? When someone counterfeits them lovingly - does that make it okay? Because we must come to that conclusion due to the love we've had for the TDPRI's commercial "replica" threads.

Are we all hypocrites?

Just sayin'

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Tatercaster and Tele1966 like this.
  13. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I make a distinction in my mind between copies "in the style of" and fakes intended to deceive the buyer - as in the use of a trademerk. As Blowtorch said, it's all been copies since the Rick Frying Pan. I'm not offended by copies (term used loosely) of any quality, provided they aren't being passed off as the real deal, and conversely, I wouldn't want a fake that was masquerading as the real deal, no matter how good the quality.

Tatercaster likes this.
  14. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

There are probably less counterfeits around now than there were. As China's reputation for quality instruments grows they are starting to put there own brand names on the guitars they produce, Amps as well. We get top quality Chinese made gear here in Aus with Aus and Chinese firms brand names on it for half the price big brand name gear is sold for, even though it comes out of the same factories.

15. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Unfortunately, this is not the position held by the trademark owner. Which is the point I was making: as consumers, we're wont to draw our own conclusions with regard to "counterfeit", conclusions that don't necessarily match with owners of intellectual property, or law, as long as our personal conscience is quelled. In much the same way as it's okay to download movies illegally because we weren't going to buy it anyway - kinda thing - so you personallly see no net loss to the owner of the material. The owner sees otherwise, and I find it hard not to blame them for this position. Usually.

Is it okay to respectfully benefit from others' intellectual property (and the legacy they spent decades building) so long as you don't fool the end user? I would like to see someone try to convince a judge this position is honourable, or even vaguely legal.

I find this subject very interesting.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  16. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Actually I prefer the really crappy ones, the ones that get it so wrong it makes you laugh.

Nick JD likes this.
  17. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Anybody buying a fake brand name is trying to get something that looks or appears as if it was the real thing. The buyer is as guilty as the maker. The maker knows there is a market for knock-offs or they wouldn't make them. Fortunately customs gets a least some of them before they make it into someones hands. Just because the quality is getting better is no reason to promote acceptance in any form. Let the Chinese create a brand that people want because it is good, not one that trades off someone else' creativity. Fender and Gibson may no longer hold the patents to protect their guitar shapes but they do hold the copyright to their brand names.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Chinese factory worker makes fake Gibson Les Pauls in his spare time to earn money, he's a bad guy. TDPRI member makes fake Gibson Les Pauls in his spare time to make a lot more money and he's a hero. OK, I understand now.

Tatercaster likes this.
  19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Why is the second guy a hero?

20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Well he's treated like one and people line up to pay top dollar for his wares.

Tatercaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.