Chinese AS copy - some poor quality concerns

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AndyPanda, Sep 14, 2019.

1. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

Hi all. I'm new here. I was looking around for a "Tele shaped object" that would be inexpensive and good raw material to do a nice setup and install whatever pickups and electronics I felt like. A friend had this Chinese Andy Summers replica that he no longer needs (he now owns one of the 250 real ones) and offered to trade it to me.

The item I would trade is worth about $350-400 and is well built and everything in top shape (no need to go into what it is - let's just say I would be buying the AS Tele replica for $350-400)

On the outside, it looks pretty good but it has some really annoying "bottom of the barrel Chinese junk" things that have me thinking a Squier Affinity or Bullet would be way better quality raw material (and I wouldn't be considering either of those as worthy enough raw material for what I wanted to make). But then I keep being seduced by the look of the thing - and to be fair, the neck is a chunky V that I quite like. I'm hoping you guys can sway me one way or the other - right now I'm thinking "no" I couldn't live with it .. but it would be fun to try and put it right.

The things that bug me most:
    The control cavity is completely wrong and left the top too thin - the wood screw for the chrome control plate has nothing to bite into so I'd have to glue in some wood blocks to give it some support. And it's just cheesy - why in the world did they route out such a completely wrong and huge cavity?

The string thru ferrules are drilled crooked.

None of the controls are wired to do anything useful (they are just tossed in there for show and flipping the switches just kills the pickups - it's easy enough to wire it up with better components (and an actual boost preamp) and wire it correctly but the fact that the builder threw this crap in there makes me wonder if there is even a working truss rod in the neck? (though the neck is nice and straight and the frets are level - I think my friend probably had the frets redone after he got it).

The tuning machines feel like grinding sand - probably the cheap Chinese gears breaking teeth off. Easy enough to replace with quality machines but, again, if the builder put these on I can guess the truss rod threads will strip and the bridge saddle screws will strip etc.

What say you?
    AS_TeleCopy.jpg
    StringThruFerrules.jpg
    ControlCavity.jpg

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Way overpriced ... 100-150 maybe if it's a good player ...

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

You can get a Squier in a pawn shop for less money and better quality. Just the picture of the string ferrules tells me that thing is junk.

AndyPanda likes this.
  4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

Good grief! The only way I would make that trade would be if I owed him $300.

Rev Rhythm, nojazzhere and AndyPanda like this.
  5. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

It looks the part, but it think it’s safe to assume that you’ll be replacing most of the components to get it to actually be what it’s trying to look like. Still, if it’s a player and it’s worth the time and effort to you to put it right, go for it.

But as it sits it’s not a guitar that’s objectively worth 350-400 bucks.

Rev Rhythm, Skydog1010 and AndyPanda like this.
  6. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

Thanks guys! You're all echoing exactly what my guts told me the minute I had it in my hands and looked at it closely.

7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

The fingerboard wear looks weird

Skydog1010 and AndyPanda like this.
  8. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Not to be too rude, use it for firewood, or toss it in the wood chipper.

AndyPanda likes this.
  9. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

It looks cool but is IMO worh $100, maybe $150 if you really want it.

Rev Rhythm, Skydog1010 and AndyPanda like this.
  10. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

it's a pos chinese ripoff, get over it, don't do the deal.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

It'd be a $50 or less for me to get involved with that one.

Instead, look at these for $100 and $150
    https://m.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_hbt16sb.htm?o=5&search=1568482855
    https://m.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_te_70_black_paisley.htm?o=1&search=1568482855

They will have the import pots, switch, and jack but you can put the same as you find in $3,000 Fenders for under $30. Maybe pay $100 for a fret level (but I haven't heard any problems with fretwork).

If you order three guitars you pay the same $35 shipping as for one of them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Agree with jvin248 - definitely not worth it. Maybe $50 if I could salvage something off it for another project. The whole thing is off. It’s more likely a home built from the cheapest parts that could be found. I say this because the Chinese would have at least done a better job putting it together. The control access in the back is just weird - not normal or required for a tele copy. The ferrules are cringe worthy. With these obvious flaws, it’s unlikely it could be set up to be a good player, stay in tune, etc...

I just paid 119$ Canadian for 2016 Affinity Squier Strat at a local pawn shop last week - perfectly setup by the previous owner and mint condition. I know you said a Squier Affinity would not be high enough quality for your project, but I can guarantee it’s higher quality than this tele.

I understand where you are, though, I love “rescues”, so to speak, and it looks really beat up in a very cool way, but I would definitely pass on this one.

AndyPanda likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If I wanted a nice, well finished Tele-style to practice my set-up skills on, I'd just cruise the pawn shops for a candidate.....if I wanted to buy new, I'd order an Xaviere from Guitar Fetish. Surprisingly good for under $200.....all they need is fret end dress and bridge set up. Even electronics are decent. That Andy Summers probably needs to be completely stripped and rebuilt, and even then it might be a dog. ;)

AndyPanda likes this.
  14. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

So when I first started thinking about a tele (or a tele shaped object) that was when my friend told me about his Andy Summers replica. In the meantime (before I had actually seen it) I came across this B stock (crack in the clear coat) for a low price and I couldn't be happier with it. But then my friend dropped off the Andy Summers tele and it seemed lower quality than the cheapest Squiers that I had thought weren't good enough. So I just wanted to get a sanity check from you guys (and you all are in agreement :D with what I thought when I saw it) ...

Anyway this is what I ended up with so I won't be thinking any more about the Andy Summers craplica.

ASAT_Special.jpg

15. mkdaws32

Ohhh! I guess not! That ASAT is gorgeous!!! Nice score!

Skydog1010 and AndyPanda like this.
  16. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I'll have to relic it the hard way over the next 30 years .... but that clear coat looks thick enough I don't think 30 years is long enough :lol:

mkdaws32 likes this.
  17. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The AS - Don't do it.

If it was 80-90 bucks and you wanted something to display in a glass case - yeah I could see buying a piece of artwork. Playing it - not me - not in a million years.

Trust your gut and stay away - hold on to your nice gear.

AndyPanda likes this.
  18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Very nice!

AndyPanda likes this.
  19. mkdaws32

Nope - you are right there. My Dad’s 84’ Am STD I inherited is just starting to show wear in the last 5 years - just some finish off on the back edges and a couple of finish cracks on the top. Rosewood fingerboard is nicely aging now - the neck isn’t even yellowing the slightest bit. Chrome is still all shiny, but the pickup poles are brown on the original pickups (boxed in my parts stash)

AndyPanda likes this.
  20. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Good choice with the asat, those Chinese ones look OK but are made from very poor parts

AndyPanda likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.