Chili-What's your recipe?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by garytelecastor, Mar 13, 2017.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I had a girl singer in a band with me that was a vegan and she always raved about how good the food was. Gonna have to try this too.

2. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Simmering 15 to 20 minutes aint going to cut it.... you need to cook it for at least two hours, adding liquid if needed. It needs to cool completly down to room temp before being heated up for serving... Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, diced onions and pickle spears... Add sour cream if wanted... Serve with cornbread or crackers... Beverage of choice...

JustStartingOut likes this.
  3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

OUCH!!!

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Mine usually simmers very slow for about 4 hours, but yeah, IMO it's still far better after chilling and reheating the next day, it really comes together then.

5. teleamp

If you are going fancy with cinniman and cocoa, remember, a little goes a long way, adding some Mexican oregano is as fancy as I go... well, sometimes, I add a couple of tablespoons of ground masa to the raw meat befoe cooking...

6. teleamp

Now green chili, that is a thread in itself....

teletimetx and AngelDeville like this.
  7. teleamp

Not just any can... it has to be Wolf brand...

8. teleamp

More than likely , ground cinnamon, 1/8 to1/4 teaspoon max...

9. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

She'd say "Make it yourself. Your recipe is better than mine..."

I put a couple strip steaks or ribeye in a cockpot with some water overnight. With a little water on low. The next day the meat is cooked fully and shreds nicely when I take it out. Any fat that was there is now cooked down and I leave that in the pot.

Can of kidney beans, chili beans, pinto beans, black beans, yellow corn, button mushrooms, tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic, black pepper, salt and green chilies to taste. A couple dashes of hot sauce (habanero concentrate usually enough to kick it up a notch).

Don't really have a recipe, with soups I just throw things together and spice as needed.

10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I've never been a serious chili maker so I never make it the same way twice. I have a basic method and taste and adjust as I go.

Sweat onions and cumin add garlic towards the end. Reserve.

Brown large diced chuck and shortrib. Add some tomato paste and simmer until it drys out a bit and turns rusty.

Return onions to pot add some ground chilies (I usually grind up guajillo, ancho and pasilla as a base) and chicken stock. Simmer and adjust.

Along the way I may add the following:

Cumin
    Chilies (I usually have mulato, cascabel, arbol and chipotle on hand in addition the base ones above).
    Beef base
    Beer
    Cinnamon
    Chocolate
    Mexican oregano
    Tomato puree
    Masa

As others have said, it's always better the next day.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back when I was perfecting my own recipe I had taken into consideration the advice of others who had suggested some ingredients such as cocoa powder, cinnamon, coffee and a couple others that don't really sound like they belong in chili...

After much experimentation I determined that those will not be ingredients in my chili. I discovered that no matter how small the quantity it still comes through and is not to my liking. My recommendation would be to try small batches if you are going to experiment with those ingredients...

teletimetx likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's all good except of course : NO beans.

13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Since I just threw Texans under the bus over on the cornbread thread, I'll even the score a bit here by confessing that my chili philosophy is heavily Texas-influenced. That means no beans.

Ideally, you want cheap beef because the good stuff just doesn't work in chili. I've heard of chili made with filet, but that has to be some kind of fast-cooked concoction. You want meat that's going to benefit from a long slow simmer. If you can get it ground coarsely, that's perfect; but usually I'm buying slabs and laboriously cutting it into 1/4'' squares.

Quickly sear the meat; render if needed. Dump in a load of chopped onion (raw, it's going to have plenty of time to cook), and a healthy amount of water.

Add more chili powder and cumin than you'd ever think possible (fresh stuff, spices don't keep well). Garlic, whole chiles of your choice, ancho powder, whatever feels right. A little bourbon or Jack D maybe.

Not too heavy on the tomatoes; but you need some. Crushed, paste, or sauce - I don't think it really matters because it's going to get cooked for about 12 hours and you won't tell the difference when it's done.

It should be liquid-heavy to start. Keep the heat on low so it's just barely simmering (uncovered). Your house will smell good. Reduction, thickening, and marriage should occur over the next 8 hours or so. A little masa for emergency thickening is OK.

Like several others said, this is best prepared in advance, eat it the following day.

14. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This is one that I made up and won a Chili Cookoff many years ago (and yes, for you die hards, it does contain beans - cuz I like beans in my chili!)

Amazing 53 Chili

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. beef tips
    1/2 lb. ground pork
    1 lb. cajun smoked sausage
    1 1/4 lbs. ground turkey
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 16 oz. can jalapeno pinto beans
    1 16 oz. can red chili beans
    1 16 oz. can red beans
    1 16 oz. can cajun stewed tomatoes
    4 6 oz. cans tomato sauce
    2-3 small onions (chopped)
    3 medium tomatoes (chopped)
    2 small hot peppers (chopped)
    1/4 green pepper (chopped)
    1/4 red pepper (chopped)
    1/4 cup picante sauce
    dash red (cayenne) pepper
    dash white pepper
    dash black pepper
    dash chili powder
    dash garlic powder (or 1 clove fresh garlic)
    dash ground jalapeno seasoning
    1/2 can beer (cook gets to drink leftover)
    dash gumbo file' (sassafrass leaves)
    dash liquid smoke
    dash tabasco sauce
    8 oz. grated cheese (optional)
    8 oz. sour cream (optional)

Chop sausage and beef tips into bite size pieces. Brown and chop turkey, pork, and ground beef. Drain and put in large pot. Brown sausage and beef. (Brown each meat individually, as cooking times vary for each type of meat). Add beans, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Chop onions, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, etc. and put in pot. Add spices and stir. Drink half can of beer and pour other half in pot. Since this makes you feel guilty for wasting good beer, drink another one to make up for it. (Drink a couple more if you feel really guilty). Simmer over low heat for 2 - 3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so. Be careful when adding spices - the pepper will take a while to soak into the food, so go easy at first. Top with grated cheddar cheese and a small scoop of sour cream if desired. Serves 6 - 10 people, and makes great leftovers.

Cheers,
    Doug

Guitarteach likes this.
  15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

^ can't argue with winning!

But that just shows how much ground the term ''chili'' covers. No cumin? I can't imagine chili without cumin but that's just me...

Another example of variety - my wife makes a ''white chili'' using chicken and white navy beans. I have no idea re her recipe, but it sure is good!

16. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Thanks for getting this started Garytelecaster. These all sound great. It have to leave out bell peppers of any color. Seems I've developed a bad allergy to them. Peppers we use sparingly, yes I'm a tenderfoot, but ya gotta have some heat but I won't cauterize my mouth just for heat. Wife is a gringo from New Mexico and loves it hot. We accommodate each other when we can. She backs off the green at home and I drive here Subies. We go to NM she's in heaven and I tread lightly.
    Again great stuff here. I'll be rereading this again for a few days.
    For you heat freaks look for Hatches Green Chilies.
    I like em in moderation when fresh picked. Canned are good but too hot for me and used sparingly.
    Thanks For the inspiration Gary!

17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Same here. I have no set recipe. Sometimes it's white chili with chicken, but most of the time it's red chili.

ground turkey burger
    onion
    green pepper
    tomato sauce
    diced tomatoes
    chili powder
    hot peppers
    black pepper
    salt
    black beans
    kidney beans
    navy beans

Most of the time my wife makes the chili. She also won first place in a chili cook off.

uriah1 likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sweet baby Jane, is that what they call chili in the UK? Baked beans? Curry powder? Mango chutney? On Toast? Time for an intervention!

Guitarteach and Artunes like this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

:) needs must...

20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Yeah but they kick our butts when it comes to Shepard's Pie:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.