Chicken Head Knobs

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Phrygian77, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Okay guys, I've built a lot of blackface amps, and I know exactly who's parts I like. I'm a complete noob though when it comes to tweed amps. I've got a Mojotone 5E3 chassis that I'm going to build a TV front 5B3 Deluxe in. What chicken head knobs do I want?

2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Good question. I believe our smart friend @muchxs knows a lot about vintage-correct chickenheads. Bakelite? Dakaware? or ??? and were they black or maybe that swirly bakelite brown-black? I tried some NOS phenolic ?Bakelite knobs in the brown swirl a while back -- can't quite decide if they look old-timey or just odd. :)

DB270CDE-F839-4D78-88D0-44A282482E8B.jpeg

As far as shape and pointers, I tend to see two basic patterns. Sometimes the pointer line is even skinnier (see above). I've seen the kind on the left more often with brass collars, those on the right sometimes without a separate collar.

453B8F4D-E5AF-4775-B0D4-6E018862B603.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have a TON of the real deal vintage ones, although I don't have a good way to ship small packages right now. If you want to wait I'd be happy to send you some.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

2E885CBB-46D1-4698-AB3C-F8D625C665D6.jpeg 685FC6ED-1D93-4A59-B41B-9B209E314E6A.jpeg It is with the deepest regret that I must report the demise of my once majestic collection of vintage chicken head knobs.
    Kids today be warned, wine women and song will rob you of the truly meaningful things in life.
    All that’s left to me is this one specimen, not a particularly wonderful example but at least it’s the superior flat top variety.

5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Yep, for my money, flat-tops rule.... And I wonder if the vintage kind were more (or less) likely not to feature a metal insert — or maybe they varied even then.

muchxs and telemnemonics like this.
  6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Speaking of knobs... let's get muchxs!

:) :) :)

Old Fenders have had their knobs changed so many times you need to call John Sprung if you want to know what is correct.

Here goes.

I believe these are correct for early '50s Fenders. See how the ogee goes all the way to the base of the knob on the back near the set screw? These are "early". They're also likely milspec. They're bakelite cast around a brass insert not to be mistaken for plastic with a brass insert. The little bit of weight gives them a solid feel.
    IMG_1978.JPG

These are the later ('50s) style. See how the ogee stops above the set screws? IMG_1979.JPG

Then we get into Daka Ware. Let's call these "Roosters". They're a chicken head with a pronounced comb on the top. Daka Ware still makes them on molds that are a few generations removed from these. See the peaked character line down the middle of the back? These are from the molds Daka Ware used up to approximately 1960.

Some of 'em are cast over brass, some aren't.
    IMG_1981.JPG

These are the post- 1960 style Daka Wares. They're still vintage. See the backs? No peak down the middle. Allen set screws were typically military.
    IMG_1980.JPG

Vintage Daka Wares universally have an indent under the white line. New Daka Wares don't have the indent or groove. IMG_1983.JPG

Tossed these up here 'cuz I like 'em. These are vintage Heathkit. Heathkit only used 'em for a few years. I like to be different so these are going on my own personal mutant Deluxe. IMG_1984.JPG

I hope this displays correctly on everyone's devices.

Attached Files:

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Axis29 likes this.
  8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

If you're looking for the flat topped variety from your usual parts sources look for generic vox style knobs.

9. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

www.tubesandmore.com -- I got some chicken head knobs from these folks. I don't know authentic NOS from reproduction, but they have a huge selection.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Those marblized brown ones are cool!

11. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I think I like the last ones best, the vintage Healthkits. Just like the look!

12. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sure I could find more cool stuff if I dug through my stash. For example:

White Daka Wares. They came in black, white, red and sometimes brown.

Got a dozen vintage white ones.

Leslie knobs. Leslie 122s have distinctly styled chicken head knobs. They come two per 122. Got a dozen of 'em when my buddy bought out Williams Organ Service.

Five weeks to go until my favorite antique radio show. We'll see.

I need an Eico 460 oscilloscope handle.

This is from eBay. Those are '70s Peavey set screw style knobs. They have a glued in black disc. The disc is frequently AWOL.

dearmond.png
    Nice switch!

King Fan likes this.
  13. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Is that a flat bat? Gotta love it....

muchxs likes this.
  14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Bought some old basically junk equipment at a ham fest once just for the knobs. Got enough for that high powered tweed Twin I haven't got round to building yet. They're currently on an old 1959 Marshall in a HPTT cab. Cost like 5 bucks and I got some other parts. 20200326_230515.jpg

Mr Ridesglide and King Fan like this.
  15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, I saved a bunch from a school intercom system. I didn't know there were so many types or that apparently there is no shortage of them.

16. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Barney Kessel had them on his guitar

17. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

How many do you need...??? :D

chicken head knobs.jpg

Mr Ridesglide, BobbyZ and King Fan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.