Chicago Stompworks

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by BelairPlayer, Jul 25, 2019.

1. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

When the topic of Rats comes up, Mr. Vermin always gets a well regarded mention. I just noticed their full range of clones, including a Bluesbreaker clone and a Red Llama. How does their other stuff stack up? Pretty interested based on the pricing. Especially the unpainted boxes.

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Killer stuff. Their 808 is killer!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I give Chicago Stompworks five stars. I have a Red Llama clone, a Bluesbreaker clone, and a Mastro MFZ-1 fuzz clone. They all sound fantastic and are ruggedly built. I see no reason to buy anything else, especially when their unpainted boxes are so darn cheap. If I wanted a Rat, I'd buy a Mr. Vermin.

zippofan and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Bluesbreaker, Red Llama, and Rat clones are amazing. Probably everything else, too, but those are the ones I've tried.

5. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

Great quality pedals. I’ve bought quite a few from them. Green ringer and blues breaker are on the board right now. I love the triangle big buff. I have a red llama combined with something else I don’t remember that has a real good sound. The mfz1 was nice, but not what I was looking for at the time.

Nice metal boxes. Most of mine are unpainted though a couple special ones are just solid colors.

6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Their OD250 is a great pedal too, I got an unpainted one on sale around the holidays a few years back. When I wanted to try a Big Muff style fuzz I got their Moose Pie, I can't build one for what I paid.

7. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Keeley 1962, Mooer blues crab, and the Chicago Stompworks Blues breaker clones They all sound pretty close but I like the Chicago Stompworks the best.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Anyone do direct A/B comparisons to the pedals the pedals CSW are cloning? I'd imagine there must be some youtube shootout clips out there...

9. noquarter1983

noquarter1983 TDPRI Member

Could you expand a bit on the differences? Reason I ask is I currently use the Blues Crab and have been eyeing the Chicago Stompworks BB clone to replace it.

Big fan of their rat clone. It's an awesome pedal and it goes great with my Vox.

10. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Thanks all for the feedback. I think I’m going to have to grab one of those Bluesbreakers.

11. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Just sat down with the two of them and if you already have the Blues crab I wouldn’t get the Stompworks. They are that close. I think I like the Stompworks more but I don’t think I could pick one over the other in a blind fold test.

noquarter1983 likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

There are small idiosyncrasies between my old ProCo Rats and the Mr. Vermin. Little things like the taper of the drive on the Mr. Vermin is VERY touchy down in the lower gain region. Can be a bit tricky to dial in a low gain sound which Rats do spectacularly. The knobs on my Mr. Vermin need felts under them as they are way too easy to move inadvertently.
    As far as tone, they’re spot on.

13. noquarter1983

noquarter1983 TDPRI Member

Thanks dude, that is THE thing I needed to hear. The blues crab does sound great and I love it for a simple boost or slight dirt tone.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.