1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chicago Music Exchange December 2017 Gibson sell off. Still love your purchase?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by gitold, Feb 27, 2021.

1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I took a chance on a less than half price Gibson guitar worrying it was going to fall apart. Three years later I’m incredibly happy with my purchase and my only regret is that I didn’t buy a couple more of them. I know a lot of people on this site bought one. How did your purchase turn out. Here’s my ES 275 $1699.00. What a great guitar and smoking deal. We won’t see that again. 9E03CA87-1D43-489B-B949-C5A022AD2615.jpeg F5402DAB-D05D-44B0-BF35-7E6024009A62.jpeg

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I bought an ES-339. There was nothing wrong with it. It was well made and beautifully finished. I sold as I just didn’t ever play it after a few months. I’m just more comfortable with my Fenders.

Deathray and gitold like this.
  3. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Beautiful ES-275 you have there.

I got an ES-335 in cherry red for the same price. It was terrific, and my gig guitar for 2018. Couldn't believe that I actually owned this. Yes, the string spacing at nut and bridge was a lot narrower than I was used to, but that was easy to change.

Ultimately I sold it because it aggravated an old neck/shoulder injury and I switched over to feather weight guitars again. But I feel fortunate that I had that year to enjoy it. Being able to sell it quickly (on consignment!) for a profit was an added bonus.

I should've bought the 330s they were selling at the same time!

4. REWTX

REWTX Tele-Meister

I still have an ES 339 Studio that I got during this. Still sounding great. The only thing I have changed is strings.

5. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah I was going to get a 335 to but I was afraid there might be quality issues. Glad I got at least one out of the deal.

6. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I'd heard the rumblings about Gibson quality control online but figured I had very little risk given CME's return policy and the resale potential of a red 335. And it really was as perfect quality an instrument as I could tell.

BTW, mine was actually a 2016 model. Kind of interesting to think of such strong demand for a guitar that the manufacturer couldn't get into the hands of a dealer for a year.

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I got a red 335 out of that deal, nothing wrong with it that I could see but it felt kind of dead to me. Sold it for more than I paid for it so no complaints but this Tribute Les Paul I've been playing lately is twice the guitar for half the price.

8. Paulie13

Paulie13 Tele-Holic

Wow, that is a KILLER deal for those. I should have jumped in

9. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

The best purchase I've ever made, my ES335 cherry red. I will not part with it, in fact right now it's my only decent guitar it's perfect in (almost*) every way.

Just look at it:
    DSC09690-01.jpeg

* I say almost just because of a couple of things I dont' like. The nickel plating started to tarnish after just a couple of months after I bought it and there is some kind of problem with the switch, I doesn't stay in position 1 or 3 only in the middle, I kinda fixed that by loosing the tip a bit, I think the switch shaft its a bit short or the tip is too long.

gitold likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.