1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chicago documentary on Netflix

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hatfield92, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So... I never really considered myself a Chicago fan. As a child of the 80s, I certainly loved those ballads, and the sound of Peter Cetera’s voice has always been one of my favorites in that particular type of song. But the original sound of the band, all those horns, turned me off because I grew up in the era of the monster guitar sound.

But revisiting it in the form of this doc, what a great, great band. And, it turns out, they did have an all-time great guitarist in Terry Kath.

I could definitely see myself going down the Chicago rabbit hole, as I’m wont to do when I happen upon something that really moves me.

Could someone point me in the direction of particular highlights, especially songs that spotlight Kath’s playing?

2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I watched that documentary. It was very well done. I’ve been a CTA/Chicago fan since I was 8 years old.

Bassman8 likes this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I will watch that documentary, but every time I think I’m a Chicago fan I hear Earth Wind and Fire and that just fades away...:lol:

Joe Mantegna was in a cover band and he’s tight with the original members of Chicago because his cover band opened for them many times.

4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Watch the "Terry Kath Experience" on Prime. His daughters search for his iconic guitars.

Some of his best music was on CTA's first album "Chicago Transit Authority".

5. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's fuzzy and Pete Cetera seems in the shadows at times but you owe it to yourself to check this out:

I don't remember how I got into Chicago, maybe from hearing the edited version of I'm a Man" on radio. Those were the days.

Hatfield92 and VWAmTele like this.
  6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I watched It
    It was amazing to see it develop

7. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

For prime Terry Kath monster guitar playing, check out the Carnegie Hall album. The extended solos in South California Purples, Sing A Mean Tune Kid, and It Better End Soon are some of my all-time favorites. For something shorter and more to the point, the intro to Questions 67 and 68 is HOT.

8. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That Carnegie Hall LP set is incredible

9. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My funk band covers 25 or 6 and Make Me Smile ... TK was the CHIT!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.