Cherry tele build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by pypa, Jul 22, 2020.

1. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

They did. Thanks. The one floating around the Interweb is the same one. I was looking for dimensions. The neck pattern pdf only has the scale drawing without dimensions.

I just cut out the body. It's 5.7lbs...

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Gotcha. I can’t really answer you, other than to mention that I put them in approximately the right places. I guess I don’t sweat those things....

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If you have a cad program, it should be able to open that pdf up and you can measure from the nut/fretboard edge to the middle of the 12th fret slot. When that is 12.75 inches, the neck is to scale.

4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Check your email...I had a Photoshop file that the neck dimensions (at least length/width stuff) is there and sent you a PDF of it. I'm looking for the thickness information which isn't on it for some reason.
    ----

Derived from my CNC files...not including fretboard...and approximate.

Neck blank thickness: .82"
    Headstock thickness. .625"
    Heel thickness: .82"
    Neck Thickness near headstock. .70
    Neck Thickness near heel: .72

Heel length. 3.95"
    Neck between heel edge and volute edge. 14.55"

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  5. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

Jim's showing about 21mm for the neck thickness.

On this Warmoth diagram, they show the final neck (without fb) thickness @ 3/4" (19mm)

Which would you do?

upload_2020-7-23_11-46-34.png

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Cherry does tend to be heavy. I've built several guitars with cherry but never a solid body, because of the weight issue

7. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I flippin love cherry! That body looks awesome! QS Rift sawn Cherry is the best.

Go Walnut! Stain it black, not unheard of probably more common that we realize (the idea of staining a fret board).

8. Jim_in_PA

P, the neck pocket is .625" deep for a tele-type guitar. While I cut at 21mm for the neck thickness (I work in metric), my Fretboard is about 5.5mm thick after radiusing at the center line which puts the total thickness at about the 25mm/1" shown in your photo. The total thickness is what's important to stay within the normal geometry.

9. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Love cherry and have built lots of furniture out of it-there are lots of ways to do this-easiest way is to buy a truss rod from stew mac that requires a straight truss rod channel and a pre-slotted fingerboard. Having a guitar on hand to measure off of will be an asset ... I like my necks a bit wide-made one once and the strings fell off the edges. I keep it on a shelf as a reminder to a go a bit wide. The other recommendation is not to do a lot of drilling until you have the parts on hand- I find 10 mm works best for standard Fender tuners.

10. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

Thanks. I think I figured it’s the total thickness that matters. I went with 20mm and will just adjust the fretboard accordingly. I shaped the body. Was hoping to plane off the belly relief but am afraid of hitting the switch channel.

I am very glad I did not ditch my Rigid spindle sander a couple years ago after my son’s pinewood derby days ended. I shaped the majority with spokeshaves, but the inside radii worked best with the sander. I don’t like to use a pattern bit and router on curves. Even with a spiral it’s just too easy to get tear out at grain transitions. It also relies on the template being perfect. Spokeshaves and even a small block plane fair curves well and with less dust.

BC77686F-E5F5-47DD-956C-3CE0E1A358BE.jpeg

DF94FF0D-166A-42CB-9DFE-78A1E7C46B26.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The general measurements are a 1" thick neck at the heel to fit into a 5/8 deep neck cavity. A 1/4" thick fretboard on a 3/4 neck blank is the norm. You could go thicker and thinner but 1" will be good if you are using a standard tele bridge. There is a bit of flexibility due to saddle adjustment, but I'd aim for the 1".

koolaide likes this.
  12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I'd love me a cherry tele. That's going to be very nice.

13. Jim_in_PA

That rule looks familiar... :) ...

And that body is going to be STUNNING.

PhredE likes this.
  14. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

I routed the truss rod channel. I am doing a head-adjust. I got a 7/32" bit from Whiteside. The fit was still a tad tight, but doing it at the router table allowed me to nudge over the fence enough to widen the slot. I just routed through the heel and plugged it. I felt safer this way since I did not have to drop and lift the piece; I could just push it through to the stop point near the nut, and then pull it back. I did this in 1/16" passes. I'd rather do twice as many passes than risk a snap or burn (DAMHIKT).

I also drilled the tuner holes. I got the Fisch 10mm bit, which resulted in the right-sized hole. It's a good quality bit, and there was no tearout on the entry or leaving side.

I think I'll start the fretboard before cutting the neck out.

6D3A5DD5-0B2E-4996-A2B0-DDAD3E62600A.jpeg

A50EB18C-035A-41FC-BE33-5F1C012DADB9.jpeg

51A0351B-9039-4D48-B1A0-3F12D28FA77B.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    RoscoeElegante and Jim_in_PA like this.
  15. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I made this one about 8 years ago, unfortunately now gone. I don't remember the weight, but I did make the body 1 1/2" thick to relieve the weight a little. No issues with the control cavity.
    Cheri-2.jpg

16. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

I am planning my feet cutting and am playing around with a shop made miter jig for the fret saw.

The first test cuts from the bottom were done freehand. I found it tricky not to widen the kerf when starting. The top cut was done with the miter guides.

the jig works best if i treat the saw like a paper cutter and keep the tip in the block as i work from the far side towards me.

I think I will use this just to start the cut. It’s easier to gauge the depth without it. Once started, maintaining vertical for an mm or 3 is not hard.

B2BCB27A-118F-4233-BA7E-2AE3CFCF4146.jpeg

1A67860D-787C-4C4E-BF0B-C9094DD75D9C.jpeg

RoscoeElegante and Jim_in_PA like this.
  17. tnt423

tnt423 Tele-Meister

This is going well, nice work.
    I've made a couple thinlines using cherry for the back and capped with maple, they sound great. Weight was an issue for the one I did as a custom order, so I recommended thinline and it came out to 6.2 lbs. Thats this Back full 1a.jpg Front Brick IIc.jpg
    It sounded so good I had to do one for myself, 5.5 lbs on this one. Back IIa.jpg Front I - Copy 2a.jpg
    Really like the snap these have, looking for a light enough piece of cherry to do a full on one piece solid body now.

Macrogats, Martian, zippofan and 3 others like this.
  18. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I'm a fan of cherry guitars.
    My cherry thinline is heavier than expected for a thinline - about the same as a solid body tele. So yes, heavy-ish, but not preposterously heavy.
    IMG_20180228_141622234.jpg
    There is a tendency for cherry to absorb dye/stain irregularly - leading to areas where the color is heavier and areas where it's lighter.
    For my cherry strat, I did a cherry top and poplar back to keep the weight in line.
    I used a pre-stain conditioner to even out the dye saturation.
    Final Piano.jpg

One other note - not sure if this is a cherry effect or an aniline dye effect - but the color intensity fades. The first few weeks - couple months it fades quickly. I think it continues to fade slightly thereafter, but it's really noticeable early.
    So if you're using dye/color, and you think "I like this, but the color is more intense than I would have wanted" you have nailed it.

19. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

That one was a keeper! I should have bought more of your guitars.........Wasn't the Double P90 one I have made of Cherry with a maple top? Killer neck as well made of the same.....

20. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Please wear steel-toed boots!

Jim_in_PA likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.