Cherry tele build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by pypa, Jul 22, 2020.

1. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

Hi All.

New member here.

This forum comes highly recommended by a friend. I am a guitar player for 30 years (read still a noodling beginner hack).

I’m trying my hand at building a tele from scratch. I am a comfortable woodworker but have a million questions about best practices.

I've been lurking for a bit.

I'm making mine from cherry.

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

I routed the body already. I have seen most people route the neck pocket with a roundover. However, I'm theorizing that a squared pocket will be fine. It will simplify the tweaking of the neck, IMHO. Interested to hear thoughts on that IMG_3667.jpg IMG_3666.jpg

3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Really love cherry!
    First guitar I built was a cherry thinline.
    It still gets a lot of use:D
    Bet it's going to sound and look great!

4. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

I'd like to fit the neck next, but I'm waiting for my truss rod to arrive so I can route the channel.

I ordered this:

4mm Allen Nut HR Truss Rod 18".

I'm not sure the best way to route this channel. I have a router table. Has anyone routed this channel with standard bits? I'm trying to avoid having to buy one special.

I also marked out the tuning hole locations. I'm using these:

Hipshot Grip-lock 6 inline enclosed 21mm Post Locking Tuners - Chrome

I tried some test holes. The 3/8 fits, but with the tiniest bit of wiggle. I can go down to 25/64 but this would require reaming or wiggling. I have a tapered reamer from some chair building projects, but it's 6 deg, and I think it'd be too drastic. Advice?

IMG_3676.jpg

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

That's gonna look great!
    My only question is about weight.....isn't cherry wood on the heavy side?
    Be sure and post finished guitar, please. ;)

nicknklv and Danb541 like this.
  6. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

Let's hope it's not too heavy... We'll find out!!!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, that body already looks great. Good luck with the project!

8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome my friend! 'Glad you joined as a posting member. :) My thoughts from "the other place" stand...beautiful material and I know your workmanship will be outstanding given your woodworking skills! As always, I'm happy to assist and like I mentioned, there is a large number of very helpful and skilled people here in this forum that love to pass on their knowledge and experience.

Folks, I have known the OP for a long time and he's going to be an asset to the group.

Martian, Old Plank and vhilts1 like this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I always rout a truss rod channel on a router table. It makes more sense to do it that way as one of the first steps of a neck build after the wood is squared up. No jig needed...

You can use a 3/16" straight bit and index the fence or put masking tape on the fence to increment it a few thousandths. If it is a real stewmac Hot rod, then I have a 7/32 bit I use. A cheap tapered reamer will do the job.

Some have found this helpful

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/lets-make-a-neck.755300/

Your squared up neck cavity will be fine. Most here don't deviate from the standard routs so they can swap necks without any problem.

If it is a real hot rod, specs are here. It's just a 7/32 wide groove, 7/16 deep.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-i...and-repair/hot-rod-adjustable-truss-rods.html

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    DrASATele and carpenter like this.
  10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Router, I think it depends on your truss rod. I used a standard 1/4" round nose to cut a 3/8 deep channel. I think i used a stew mac hot rod, but it's been about 3 years since i built mine.

Drill bit - hipshot says 10 mm or 13/32. I would order the exact drill bit to save the pain.

Your stock is beautiful. Mine is just flat-sawn but the entire guitar is cherry including fretboard (which is close to quartered). Came out to about 9.2 lbs btw.

11. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

Thanks for the bit advice.
    I have a question about the fretboard. I am tempted to use walnut because I have so much of it on hand (quartersawn). However, I have heard a lot about Richlite which is black - and my first color choice. I decided against ebony because I do not enjoy the way it works with blades or sandpaper. I suspect Richlite would be even worse... Opinions?

12. guitarbuilder

Here's my 2cents. I just made a guitar with a quartersawn walnut fretboard and it feels nice. Purists will say what they usually say. I say use whatever you like. I like the dimensional stability of quartersawn lumber myself.

neck2.jpg

13. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

Does anyone know where I can get measured plans for the neck; I'm having a hard time getting the measurements for the truss rod positioning and the alignment of the fretboard vs the neck...

14. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Subbed for cherry; those are gorgeous billets!

I route my truss rod channels with a router and guide rails. 3/8” bit fits the LMII rods perfectly. Quick and easy.

Re: truss rod positioning - not sure what the confusion is, just center it down the middle and place it so that the adjuster is accessible.

Re: alignment of fretboard to neck - umm, co-axial. Or are you asking something different?

15. pypa

pypa TDPRI Member

Thanks, CTMullins. I just got a 7/32" bit for the Stewmac rod.

I'm not talking about the lateral positioning of the fretboard, neck, and truss rod; I've got my center lines duly scribed. I'm talking about the 'vertical' positioning:

1) for the truss rod, I'm planning to install the nut at the head end. So, where does the channel start with respect to the top of the headstock, and how close to the heel end should I stop.

2) for the fret board I was looking for a measured drawing to lmk where the nut and first fret should start.

16. guitarbuilder

17. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful piece of wood - looking forward to the finished guitar!

How does cherry compare tonally to other woods (alder, ash, mahogany)? Always wondered about cherry.

18. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Didn't any of those files I sent you have neck information? I thought at least one did.

19. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Nicely quartersawn body wood .

20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Love your Cherry! Started this one several years ago from wood off the farm, just waiting for me to finish someday. Cherry will probably be heavy (this one weighs almost 7lbs. as it sits) but who cares.

20200722_164028.jpg

RoscoeElegante and JeffBlue like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.