Cherry Gibson 335 or Goldtop Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by collinsman, Oct 16, 2012.

1. collinsman

collinsman Tele-Afflicted

First, thanks for all the input, the best obviously would be to have both but you know the drill $'s/ What Jack said struck me a little, 90% of the time I'm sitting on my duff and maybe once every two months jam with some buddies in a band setting. I'm not a real big guy, but sitting with the 335 is very comfortable, that is if I'm on a chair and not the couch. Maybe the other option is to get an Epi in either a Lester or Dot then go w/ the Gibson on one, maybe I can swing it/thx again mates;)

2. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I absolutely agree with your Epiphone, have both idea. Take it as a challenge, hunt a good one of each. Would be a fun excercise and you should end up with two lovely, iconic guitars.

I just bought the Epi limited Edition 60's V3 Les Paul and LOVE it. My friends Gibson has a slight bit more rawk but then mine has gibson burstbuckers his has the 59's (or whatever they are, not the burstbuckers anyway)....which I think accounts for most of the difference.

A good Epi Les Paul and the Elite Epi 335 (or dot for more saving). A nice, cost effective combo!

However I also agree with AC15, the more versatile comment has always struck me as baloney too.

MAYBE a 335 can play hollow body stuff more convincing (maybe) but on the flip side a Les Paul can do a lot more heavier stuff than a 335. I just don't find the 335 more "versatile" at all....certainly not with my copy.

Plus I find the body shape of the Les Paul a lot more comfortable to play....

3. Dawg

Dawg Tele-Holic

I'd go for the LP '56 Goldtop with P90's - i've had 3 335's in the past and have a LP Custom and a Custom Shop ES345 and it wastes both of them...

As great as they are the Gibson 300 series are trying to be two things at once - and they don't do it convincingly enough to my ears. They don't sound like a Gibson hollowbody (got a couple of those too) and they don't have the sustain, punch and clarity of a solid body Les Paul. You can make LP's sound incredibly versatile; they aren't one trick ponies and work incredibly well away from that over done overdriven sound - but since getting a P90 Goldtop I find that it's my 'go to' now....

I remember seeing a fairly well respected blues man playing a blonde 335 - his second guitarist with a LP Standard just tore him apart tonally...

4. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Not cherry, but....

5. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

If it were me I'd choose the 335.

6. collinsman

Just a quick question, why the P90's over the humbuckers for the LP _ I had one of those tribute LP's very briefly w/ P90's and traded it for an American strat about two yrs ago I think, but compare the two if you will, +'s and - 's

7. collinsman

Mercy, notice the Gold top in the backround :lol:

8. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's

the ES 335 is IMO Gibson's finest guitar. Cherry Red is my fave colour. Job done.

9. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I would go with the 335. More versatile than a LP, and better suited to playing with a thumb pick, which you are interested in doing.

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I'm really not into humbuckers, haven't been for the last 30 years. I traded a tobacco burst 335 in 1970 for a 69RI Gold top and could not believe the difference. There is nothing wrong with the 335, but for the sound that I was looking for, the P-90s really did the trick.
    There are more solid lows and screaming mid-range available with the P-90s. And, when I paired the Gold Top with my 65 Tele, there was just no sound that I could not get.
    By the way, I play pretty clean, R&R, country rock, gospel. Nothing that really need over the top distortion.

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yup, I've got the 54 goldtop and I'd sell my only Tele before I'd sell that one.

12. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Bernie, that 335 is a very rare P90 version. Awesome no doubt, but will sound different than a standard 335.

This is a tough question, and both are great guitars. Really comes down to playing them both and deciding which feels, sounds, and plays better for you. I have played 335's that were not so great, and same with les Pauls. I own a 335 and absolutely love it. Good luck

13. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

I Feel that both are great guitars and I own four Les Pauls and one ES 335.

You need to go try some differant ones and make your own choice.

14. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

15. electric

electric Tele-Holic

I don't envy you right now. WAIT I do envy you! Hard choice. How about a Goldtop 335?

16. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That was an amazing sound clip. WOW!

I love the looks of those 335s. When I wanted to start playing electric guitars, that is the guitar I wanted, but couldn't afford. So... I got a tele.

17. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I have an LP copy that was custom made for me with a lot of the body chambered to reduce weight and it is a lot lighter than any other LP - Gibson or Epi - that I've ever picked up. It sounds pretty damn fine too. However, after playing it for a whole gig you know you've been standing in one place for a while with a considerable weight round your shoulders.

By comparison, any 335 I've picked up feels as light as a feather and I can see how that factor alone could influence some people's choice between the two instruments.

Just as another thought for you to consider, how about a 339? It's a smaller bodied semi-hollow body which is even more ergonomic than a 335 and much lighter than an LP. The sound is somewhere between LP and 335 territory as far as I can tell.

Food for thought???............

18. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Must have Both!

GOLD TOP 1.jpg

photo (4).jpg

Here is my Gold top and my ES 175t. It's not a 335 but my favorite Hollowbody.
    Maybe go with the Epiphone versions so you can purchase both guitars!!

19. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

I thought I'd throw it out there as an interesting cross between the LP/P90 that was mentioned earlier in this thread and the ES335. Rare, yes, but still a pretty killer combo. And there's always Phat Cats, Lollar, and Fralin P90s that fit in the humbucker hole. Just trying to make the OP aware of a different option if you like the P90 sound.

20. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I'd go with Midtown most likely. Here is my chart.

1., Midtown
    2., 335
    3., Gold-top (P90's only)

I'm pretty sure Les Paul would win just 6 months ago :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.