1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cherry and Mesquite neck build.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bubba01, Aug 27, 2011.

1. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

I'm building a cherry neck with a mesquite fretboard and thought I'd post it. I've been wanting to try this for a while and I finally found a piece of mesquite at my local woodcraft. Normally I use the stewmac hotrod for my 2 piece builds, which works great but is a little bulky, for this one I'll be trying out the warmoth 2-way rod. They appear to work in different ways. I don't believe the warmoth is a double acting. The colors on both the cherry and mesquite are pretty neutral, so i'll probably build a barn beam type body to match. Anyone ever built a neck like this? If so I'd appreciate your input.[​IMG]

2. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

Got the rough cut out.[​IMG]
    I use this to cut out all my blanks. So for the front yard builders you don't need a bandsaw. This will cut through any wood. No predrilled holes just cut.[​IMG]

3. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

More....more!

4. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

Neck shaped and the worlds most low tec truss rod jig.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Off the top of my head Otterhound, Colt W. Knight, and Mojotron have built cherry necks (something that I'm interested in learning); Additionally CWK has posted that he is considering a mesquite build.

Probably at least one of the three will log on ere long, or you can do a thread search on their names.

Be prepared for the cherry to darken over time. The darkening can be speeded up by exposure to light (uv I presume) but it can be slow.

6. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

It seems to be getting darker just from working on it outside. I was looking to build a guitar with native Texas wood, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find any. All the lumber places I get my wood from never have anything native, even mesquite. They say most Texas trees don't grow large enough. I'm talking about bodark, texas ebony, and mesquite. I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled, if anybody out there has any info on that please let me know.

7. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Bubba01. Here is an idea, I dont know much about Texas, but up here in Michigan we have Amish families that cut/airdry/sell hardwoods. I don't even know if there's Amish in Texas but research it. After I met a few folks about an hour from my home, I discovered that I could finnally have airdryed native to michgan wood without cutting it myself. Here we have Walnut, Poplar, Maple, Ash, Hickory, Cherry, and more, available to the public from the amish, if your willing to drive to the boondocks and back, and man, might I mention they don't charge more for figured wood.

8. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Oughta be something good from the Piney Woods.
    If the dents in my shoulder are any indication I seem to remember some sizable trunks in the College Station area as well.

Can't recall ever seeing a bois d'ark or a mesquite quite big enough around to make more than a fretboard from, but there are other natives in East Texas that might be worth exploring.

Maybe contact the forest service to see if anyone is harvesting where the Longhorn Army Ammunition plant used to be in Karnak. That was the sole terminal forest in Texas iirc.

9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Black cherry will darken more than ringbark . Cherry makes a wonderful neck . Very closed pore wood and you can get it sooo smooth . Feels absolutely luxurious with a satin finish .
    Great choices .

10. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

Thanks otterhound it's a pretty wood, I originally bought it to make my Mom and Grandma jewelry boxes but couldn't pass up making at least one neck. No Amish folks down hear that I know of, but if I go down south or out east to the country I'd probably have a better shot. I can't even find any 8/4 yellow or sugar pine out here in the city! I'll contact the forest service too. Thanks for the info guys.

11. dutchgoff

dutchgoff Tele-Holic

Check out Phillips lumber in DeKalb Tx it's up around Texarkana. There a small lumber mill and seem to always have some great looking specialty woods. They kiln dry also. Great people to know for wood. I sure missed them after I moved from Texarkana to Utah.

12. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

Thank's man I'll give them a call on Monday.

13. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm from the Jacksonville area and remember a lot of Cottonwood trees just outside of town. Not sure if it's fit for anything but I can't believe there all gone. The only solid memory I have of Dallas is, no trees, unless you count all the ones Ladybird had planted.............that died :)

14. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

Channel routed. The only bit I had that was the right size was a cheap harbor freight type. At least it had a round bottom so the rod fits in there perfect. Drilled out the hole for the adjuster and ready to glue on the fret board.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

Clamped. I may be able to get this thing fretted today. I think I have wire.[​IMG]

16. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

Trim up the finger board. I love using my trim router, it seems like it runs smoother than my plunge router, plus its less bulky.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plane down the board a little and thin the headstock down. Usually I'd clamp a large piece of mdf to my drill press to ensure the neck stays flat, I couldn't find it though.[​IMG]

17. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

I'm thinking of mint green dot markers. I had some scrap from a pick guard I made so I cut some out. [​IMG]

18. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Oddly, the Longhorn ammo plant that I had previously mentioned (with the only terminal stage forest in Texas) was built on land the Army bought from Lady Bird's daddy.

19. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe not so oddly, Lady Bird was as stubborn and headstrong as any Texas belle (who else thinks you can will live oak, magnaolias, japanese maple, etc to grow in Texas :lol:). She could have went on her planting campaign just to spite her ol' daddy :lol:. As my uncle found out, it's tough telling a Texas gal "no" :lol:

20. ievans

ievans Tele-Meister

Hey, nice build. Love the wood choices.

I've got a plank of Texas ebony I'm saving for a build that will have all domestic wood and parts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.