Chemical plant goes kaboom

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

A flammable one.

Frodebro, drf64 and Telekarster like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Blackface was always racist. The fact that is was accepted was just representative of society's ignorance, prejudice and cruelty.

Sure there are risks in many things but we surely could have relocated plants from rivers when it became obvious. Give corporations tax breaks for being more responsible not for stuffing the executives, stockholders pockets.

4. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

I wonder if deregulation played a role in this.

5. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I hear you but relocate to where? I rememeber about 20+ years ago a battery plant was shut down, out in the middle of nowhere and far removed from rivers and towns etc. The land around the plant was contaminated for a mile around it for the next 50-75 years. I just think it would be the same horse of a different color.

6. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

In the Midwest most of the larger cities are near waterways because that was the original transportation network. Chemical companies naturally sprung up in the larger cities where there was available labor and access to other transportation- road and rail. Some chemical companies still use barges to transport materials in bulk.

Coal-fired and nuclear power plants are also located on rivers where they have a constant supply of cooling water.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A good point.

It's one of a few watersheds that are historically significant for how a lot of the world has lived and still does. John Deere HQ, paper, plants, former GM plants, furniture makers, all sorts of rust belt industry, and if you know your Fender amps, the spring reverb. Trucks replaced the ferries and most of the trains but still lots of industry and a lot of the world's food come from the region.

Fortunately a lot of the Rock River watershed has been cleaned up a lot. Also fortunate is "they" and "we" (homo sapiens) keep learning, fixing and improving.

My first thoughts were remembering when my father in law was a first crew leader on and at it for several shifts industrial fire that took days to contain. Lots of risk to the firefighters and neighbors. Lots of heartbreak from collateral damage.

Best wishes to everyone impacted. Let's hope the plant workers will not be losing their jobs.

hepular, Telecaster88, Greg70 and 2 others like this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

well, yeah, but 'society's' softening it. Society is the people. like us. It used to be accepted that when you were done with something you threw it over the hill. (think of the littering after the picnic scene in Mad Men) of course it was ignorance. of course blackface was always racist, but it is the reality of ignorance that allows people to be informed and change and become less so.

You don't think that a BUNCH of accepted things today aren't going to be condemned in 50 years?

It was accepted and normal to dump stuff in the river.... until people said, 'hey lets study that' and they found it not okay.

it is fascinating that we always think of incentivizing things rather than just adopting rules that work best for all on their own.

buster poser, Greg70 and Telekarster like this.
  9. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Chemtool makes all sorts of fuel additives and industrial lubricants... most, if not all, flammable to some degree. Municipal, state and federal (EPA and OSHA) regulations (used to) require chemical plants have all kinds of levels of safety features built in to prevent these kinds of fires and discharges, but that obviously doesn't prevent them from happening. i'll bet that once the smoke clears, there will be fines for non-compliance.

getbent likes this.
  10. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I get that this was most likely built a long time ago and I understand the mentality as well. But to my mind it would make sense to have facilities of this type located next to a body of water removed. Or bare minimum heavily inspected by the EPA, OSHA, and the local fire authority quarterly. They’re is no reason other than complacency why things like this occur.

getbent likes this.
  11. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Here are some photos my wife took on her way home from her dad's this afternoon...

This one is from Evansville, WI -- about 30 miles from the fire:

cropped.jpg

Here in town, looking south, after the fire's been burning for about 9 hours:

197637063_338936830991749_642806249226922283_n.jpg

hepular and Fendereedo like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Our local volunteer fire department chief’s main reason for not sleeping well at night is knowing what rolls through our tiny town on rails daily. Getting ever more dangerous down there in the concrete jungle.

getbent likes this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

there's nothin' like a brakeclean cocktail with a green olive and a little pink vacation umbrella stickin'off to the side

getbent and NoTeleBob like this.
  14. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    30 miles from my hometown of Freeport. My brother reports it is very easy to see.

He reports easily seeing it from Sterling IL this AM

getbent and Fendereedo like this.
  15. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

I gotta say,
    I'm the Environmental Agent of the facility I work for. I spend hours keeping tabs on all of the chemicals that come in and go out of my facility.

Storage and procedure is no laughing matter. Safety precautions are to be enforced. Floor plans of everything are kept along with an offsite emergency plan to protect first responders. The government of Wisconsin runs a very tight ship. Proof of transit in regard to shipping and receiving materials, as well as manifests, DOT regulations, disposal, VOC's.... whew.

I sound like a nerd. I've probably blown away any preconcieved notions you've ever had about Fendergyrl.

When I see an event like this happen, I realize what a thankless job I have. Most people think I'm just a PITA, until something like this happens. Thank God no one was hurt or killed. It would be a horrible way to go out.
    FG

Chip, DekeDog, Greg70 and 10 others like this.
  16. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Excrement occurs. As it is, so shall it be.

Frodebro and getbent like this.
  17. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I teach Hazmat to recruit firefighter classes. You've just described a big part of our presentation on chemical storage and documentation.

Bravo!

18. FenderGyrl

My work load has almost tripled due to stricter regulations, as well as increased government agencies being created.
    Inspections have increased.
    License fees have soared.

Paperwork has increased to the point that I have to work with an outside agency to keep up with all new regulations.

19. FenderGyrl

Thank You for your service.
    We want everyone to be able to make it home safe.

hepular, richiek65 and trev333 like this.
  20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Very good. Much respect. Thank you for doing that important work.

getbent, hepular and richiek65 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.