Chelsea Boots, UK Brands?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Feb 22, 2010.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Maybe this is stupid, but I will ask anyway. I really like Chelsea boots and have worn them for some time. When I lived in Europe years ago and the last few years here in the US. Typically I don't spend a lot on shoes and like to stay under $100. I've owned two pairs from Lands End and while they are comfortable and look OK, they don't wear well.

I thought I remembered a few UK brands that looked quite nice but cannot remembers names and have no idea at what price point they are at. But, most importantly, are they even available in the US? I can't find a decent pair anywhere that I have looked thus far. I figured there are several UK-based Tele brothers on here that may know something. Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

3. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

John Lewis (motto: Never Knowingly Undersold) has among other things a reputation for quality merchandise. However, there's a decent Chelsea boot available at significantly lower cost here:

http://www.maillife.co.uk/i-bb-samwindsor-fbf-1/handmade-leather-shoes/

Caveats: I have no idea whether they will ship to the USA or at what cost. Also, be aware that UK sizing is different from American, e.g. an English 8 is about an American 9.

You could also try Gordon Scott in Watford, England - tend towards pricey brands. http://www.gordonscott.com/

4. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Timberland makes them or at least they used to. I have a couple pairs that I really like.

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Although they retail for $140, I just picked up a pair of these at a Timberland outlet for $60 (which might mean they are closing them out)...

[​IMG]

It's their waterproof "Torrance Chelsea Boot" model.

6. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

7. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Not bad. I live about 25 minutes from their outlet in jackson, maybe have to check that out.

8. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Great idea, but it looks like no US delivery.

9. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Either way they were still designed as women's shoes.

If I was to buy an English boot, I would probably go to Edward Green. They do wonderful shoes, that is where I get my brogues from. They are proper handmade shoes, not sweat shop rubbish.

http://www.edwardgreen.com/flash/index.html

10. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I know, that is kind of silly, ladies' riding boots. Oh well, they are comfortable. I will check out the link, thanks.

Wayne

11. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

12. LaExpatriot

LaExpatriot Tele-Meister

I have 3 pair. 1 Blundstone, 1 Born, and 1 Clarks.
    Love them all. All are different. The Borns and Clarks were under $100. The Blunnies..... not so much.

13. Dawg

Dawg Tele-Holic

If you want the real deal retro early-1960's items, then look no further than here - order at least 1 1/2 sizes bigger than usual because of the pointed toe. I'd go to 2 sizes over....

http://www.beatwear.co.uk/main.htm

Very well made and very cool.

14. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

If you want a proper British boot, only buy from somewhere that uses old fashioned English Goodyear Welt production and don't be scared to pay for the extra quality. If you treat the shoe right and get it repaired when it needs it they'll outlast you. Most shoes made these days aren't worth the effort of puttin them on.

Apparently the first piece of clothing most women notice on a man is their shoes.

[​IMG]

15. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The Timberland are a desert boot, not Chelsea. Dealer boots have a strap and buckle. If you buy Italian made, check the width, they are usually two sizes too narrow for humans. Those beatwear jobs aren't 60's winklepickers, they're not pointy enough and they've got elevator (Cuban) heels.

English shoes sizes are at least one number lower than American, Ladies sizes are different again. However many shoes will be marked up with European sizes, and they're variable size depending where they're made.

A quick google revealed this (first one with worldwide sales)
    http://www.arthurknightshoes.co.uk/shoe/chelsea-boots/

16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I thought desert boots look like this, unlined and complete with "brothel creeper" crepe soles...

[​IMG]

I would agree that the Timberlands are a little "rustic" to be called Chelsea boots; I mainly bought mine for bad weather.

Those Edward Greens are gorgeous but I can only imagine what they cost - probably about as much as a MIM Tele :eek:

I have a couple of pairs of English Church's but my favourites are American Aldens. I have about 6 pairs of them for "bizniss" wear and I've had them for years. They're only about the cost of a CV Squier! You can re-sole them 4 or 5 times and they still look like new.

[​IMG]

17. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Yeah, those Timberlands are not desert boots. Also if you have to buy a shoe 2 sizes up because of the pointy toe you shouldn't buy them at all. Leave the pointy shoes to the elves.

18. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

So many different kinds, amazing what this post opened. Have to check out the shop that ships to the US. Thanks for that.

Wayne

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.