1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Chellee Odie and Ponyboy

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DavidM1, Jun 26, 2019.

1. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

I can’t call this new pedal day because I’ve now had the Odie for a few weeks and the Ponyboy for more than a month. I’m just posting them because I think they’re excellent and Peter Taylor/ Chellee deserves to be better known - no connection, I’m just a customer on the opposite side of the globe. The best videos of these two are the ones by Mike Hermans- he captures the pedals’ versatility and utility with different pickups.

I used to mainly use TS type pedals and had an early TS808 for years and a bunch of others. The Odie is much more neutral than that even though it uses the 4558 chip. Actually, the texture switch gives 3 different personalities, all of them fairly amp like. The mid boost and bass boost switches give useful tone changes to poke out in the mix or fill out the bass. The Ponyboy I went for is one of the last of the V.2 models with a switch to either control the treble or the upper mids. I wanted one of these to more easily match single coils/ humbuckers and to shape the mids for stacking. Works great! The best way to hear them online is to check out the Mike Hermans links below. Enjoy!

B892534D-4747-4420-B6DA-59F2B7A6363A.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting. Those clips sure sound nice. I've not seen the 'Old School' before. Is it a tremolo?

Cheers from a slightly warmer Sydney.

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Correct, I have one also

4. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Hey Richie - Andy makes everything sound good. How do you like yours?

5. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Yep it’s a tremolo. It has a low headroom mode which adds a bit of dirt and a higher headroom mode that uses an internal voltage boost for a strong clear trem. Basically great. Sounds better before an amp than in an FX loop.

Fluddman likes this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Never heard of those before. The price is certainly right.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Pony seems nice.

8. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

I own many Chellee devices. All of them are top notch pedals ("boutique" if you want) with mass market price tags. It's a safe territory. It's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  9. hudpucker

hudpucker Tele-Meister

The Ponyboy is my favorite 'Klone' of many I've tried over the years. I sold my KTR after I got one.

10. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

I have a Ponyboy and it definitely belongs to a top notch klone category. Early versions had minor limitations due to Schottky diode clipping. But since v.3 it has got Germanium original/Schottky clipping options and now it's close to perfect. Highly recommended!

hudpucker likes this.
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

I imagine the V.3 would let you get closer to a Klon sound if that’s what you are after. However, I fell for the sound of the mids control on humbuckers in the Mike Hermans clip above. I use it a lot. It also allows a bit of a TS bump in stacking into more neutral overdrives. One of the nice things about Chellee pedals is they seem to be carefully thought through with the player in mind. Smart, useful pedals!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    sanfi4u likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.