1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheesy Vintage Japanese Guitar Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by jkingma, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Gold Rush

Gold Rush Tele-Meister

Thanks. I had my billfold out in about 3 seconds after seeing it hanging on a pawnshop wall about 10 years ago. Quickest guitar I ever bought (no pondering involved).

2. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Anybody here ever see a Japanese guitar distributed by Fender in the 60's?
    I hadn't until yesterday....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

That is the cleanest ET 440 I've ever seen! sweet..I have an ET 220 from 1969, I love this sucker and it twangs like a mother..just a real fun guitar. I write on this more than any of my other guitars, at least for the last year or so.

View attachment 59362

View attachment 59363

4. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Its pictured the day it turned up and its immaculate and even better after a clean. One owner hardly played :D

Couldnt get your attatchments to work.

5. vintage hopeful

vintage hopeful TDPRI Member

This is what brought me to the TDPRI club...

...to ask for help in identifying what used to be my Japanese mystery guitar.
    It worked!
    A member found it online and ID-ed it as a '1960's Kent/Guyatone Vegas 530'. The pic he found looks just like mine, even tho mine has a transparent finish to show off what looks for sure to be a one-piece mahogany body. When placed next to my strat, I noticed it has a much smaller body and a larger Fender-like headstock. It also has a chrome pickguard, which is different.
    The last pic shows 2 tiny holes where I'm guessing either a large G for Guyatone or K for Kent was pinned into the head.
    I found it at a pawn shop in a small town where my family and I went camping this summer. It was marked down to $99, but then I had to pay $209 to get the neck straightened, the pick-ups and controls cleaned up, etc.
    Oh well... us adults have to pay to play sometimes, right? :rolleyes: :D It's my only old guitar, and I've had a fun time with it.
    Oh -and the luthier that did the set up work thought the neck was oak! Anyone ever heard of that before? :eek:

Attached Files:

6. tele salivas

Thats a hell of a find...everytime I bid on an ET 440, the price just skyrocketed. It would be nice to have a real clean model, but I just like the sound and general aesthetic of these...hopefully my pictures will come up this time..

teisco.jpg
    Teiscoangler.jpg

7. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

Nice looking 220 mate!

Yes these things are starting to go through the roof.
    The WG4L i have was missing a badge the japanese one, not the Del Ray and i got one this week its on its way(talk about scarce), so this guitar is now complete and will soon be ready for some youtube clips

The ET440 i am going to do some recording with soon, some dirty watch out Hound Dog Taylor type stuff.

I love restoring these old guitars as much as i enjoy putting my own creations together. I have a Watkins Rapier 33 to start on next :cool:

8. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

Here's my submission.

[​IMG]

Its an old Sakai SG copy. Sort of.

It has a pretty thin neck that gets pretty wide as it gets towards the body. Zero fret. Weird Gibson lyre-esque vibrato. The pickups, whilst crackly, are really hot. As the action is so crappy, i tend to use it for slide or alternate tunings. It's in C Standard atm for some QOTSA stuff. Cant hold tune either.

I am never getting rid of it ;)

9. tele salivas

I was in the process of restoring this one too...the fretboard was coming off the neck, the electronics were shot, missing the whammy, had a real poor black paint job with a horrible Sg. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band drawing on the backside of the body...GFS now sells complete whammy kits that are Teisco replicas..though I only used the whammy and spring, for 17$ I got the whole thing, the bar is exact! and the spring is great. Electronics were easy..just a cleaning and some soldering, figuring out the connections..the neck was tricky, but I straightened it out , cleaned off the old glue, and re glued the sucker on with regular old wood glue. I was in the middle of stripping the paint off(had about 4 layers! black, aluminum, yellow, blue) when I stopped where I was and just left it at the "Mad Max-Road Warrior" state of condition it is in now:lol:. I think it suits it alright. These ET's record and play great, it's been my number one writing guitar for the last year now. This is a great thread. More please!

10. tele salivas

Well, that makes several Aussies that have Japanese "cheese" around here. I guess these pretty prevelant in your land during the Teisco heyday? That is an impressive shade of yellow! I didn't have much hope of keeping mine in tune at first blush, but now it won't go out of tune...if I keep it at Eb. If its a little sharp, I just wiggle the whammy , problems solved!:p Same thing if flat. But seriously, the screwy bridge has a sweet spot somewhere in there. Mine keeps in better tune than any of the guitars I currently own, and they aren't all $100 twangers:lol:

11. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

My first electric guitar was this model Teisco. Same pickup configuration and color. My Dad bought it new for me back in the mid 1960's from Dick Charles music store in Glendale, California. Unfortunately, I traded it for something else years later. The good news is that I still have the Vibro Champ that came with it!

12. tonyw

tonyw Tele-Meister

You might like to have a look inside this can of worms, my WG4L.

The volume pot is original and reads 875k i am assumiing it was a 1meg pot but the markings on the pot lead me to believe its only meant to be 500k?, the markings on it are from what i can read B83 50 3 most of it is covered in solder. The tone pot is a change over as i first suspected, its cheap asian and reads 500k on the top of it, my meter has it at 509k so its bang on but its not authentic but i have another teisco 500k pot now. There was no earth to the jack which could be half my problems with microphonics i am experiencing or maybe its just unpotted pickups. All in all its not in bad shape for its age. The high low switch i also found to be unearthed. I have pinched the rockers on the pickup switch and they contact a bit better and its all had a clean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I got hold of this one recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have to play these things every now and again, just to remind yourself of what many of us started playing on. And compare them to even the cheapies on the market these days.

Probably no more than 10 years or so after the Japanese factories were producing these, they were producing Matsumukos, Fender Japan and JV Squiers

14. kevoreilly

kevoreilly Tele-Meister

Awesome, I bought the exact same guitar for my brother in law a few years ago, I love that thing.

Attached Files:

15. Gold Rush

Gold Rush Tele-Meister

1965/66 Yamaha SG-2 in Coral Red. Only 10 digits difference in serial number to the one Link Wray used for many years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

WANT!!!!!!!!!!!

17. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    My first (and only) 12-stringer. I think you could just watch it warp... it did sound good for the 8 minutes it was straight and in tune... I would take it apart and fix it, and within days of putting it back together it was all bent again.

18. tele salivas

Goldrush, that coral red is awesome..just beautiful.
    Dannew02, that sucks about the 12 stringer..when those Teiscos work right, they're fantastic, otherwise people relagate their nightmares to slide guitar status. I've never heard of that particular Teisco, hopefully something can be done with it towards a positive result. Lord knows finding an original or useable neck for something like that would be difficult.

19. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

Here's my 80's Kawai. It has a black push button switch to split the coils. Afterwards, I put on a nickel covered TV Jones Powertron and now I play it more often.

[​IMG]
    kawai_guitar by alzn, on Flickr

20. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

This isn't a pic of mine, but I bought a parted-out version -exactly- like it, it's been under restoration most of this season.
    It's a Conrad, out of the Matsumoku factory, late '60's methinks...

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the eBay auction of mine.
    [​IMG]

And here it is today, I shot a tonered finish right over top of the original finish, really looking forward to putting this thing back together!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.