1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cheesy Vintage Japanese Guitar Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by jkingma, Jun 17, 2009.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

This is a "no-name" not identified anywhere that I can find that I bought from a friend at a guitar show for $50.00. "Made In Japan" is stamped on the neck plate. Someone glued the neck on this bolt-on neck guitar. Someone did some extensive pickguard and headstock cover work. I did the set-up, added a roller bridge and installed a pair of Seymour Duncan DynaSonic pickups. This guitar sounds excellent.[​IMG]

2. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

Hi there. My Kawai S180 that I got for 100 EURO is now in much better shape. I replaced all the missing screws and bolts and fitted a set of Kluson tuners. I fitted strings, adjusted the truss rod and the bridge. You can now plug it into an amp and make a noise. A very small noise, but still.

To celebrate I spent an hour or so making a little tune with it:

https://soundcloud.com/pboaz/underpowered

(the two guitar parts on this are both the S180)

When recording I thought "Blimey these pickups are seriously underpowered". The waveform in Logic is barely visible. Hence the name of the tune.

Next time I got the guitar out I decided to look under the hood again. To cut a long story short, even though the pickups are 'alive' in some way, the electronics between them and the guitar output are in a bad way. The volume pot is disconnected and when I measure it with a multimeter it is showing open circuit. The tone control is still connected in some way but doesn't appear to do anything.

So next step I think is to replace the pots, capacitor and wiring between the pickups and the output, checking the pickups as I go.

So does anybody have any good suggestions for what I should get in terms of

(i) Pots
    (ii) Capacitor

Thanks!

3. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

I'd try a 100k volume with a 50k tone and .022uF cap. Those are the values of the electronics I pulled out of a wrecked Audition single pickup (gold foil Teisco!) guitar that I found many years ago.

4. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

Thanks!

5. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Marshallfender
    Tele-Meister

I think yours is a
    Truetone Rockstar ...

Maybe

6. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

upload_2017-3-2_16-16-7.png
    My first guitar. 1970. Broke the head off and glued it back on twice with elmer's glue.

7. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

Can Basses play? IMG_0228.JPG

8. guitmkr

guitmkr TDPRI Member

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

that looks suspiciously like it was made by the same factory that made my Tiesco Beltone, the neck and pickups are very similar

I already posted this earlier on

P3060074.jpg

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice collection FG , you got some cool toys , I reposted my Beltone so you could see if you had a tail cover for it Also I have some tiesco parts in case some one needs to fix up thier relics, knobs ( maybe pots ) pickups etc .I'd have to go through every thing to be more specific.

11. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Couple MIJ Tiescos here. :)

12. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I picked up this in a rather wrecked state recently. The badge is missing off the headstock so it could be any one of quite a few makes, but I think its a Top Twenty.

It's just about playable now, I had to do some pretty serious work on the frets, and the electrics are in a shocking state. The switches are so dodgy, that at the moment it is simply wired so the pickups go through the two volume controls only.

[​IMG]

I had a very similar guitar to this when I first started playing and it became a beater when I got a better guitar and then I forget what happened to it.

Own it as a reminder to others (and myself) as to how much better budget guitars are now, compared to then.

The hardware on this is truly primitive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to add some dot markers to the top of the neck too.

Barely ten years or so separate these two Japanese original design guitars, yet the ash bodied Westone on the top, is just light years ahead in terms of sound, reliability, build quality, materials and road-worthyness. ;-)

[​IMG]

bender66 likes this.
  13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Our guits look like siblings.

Mine is/was a Decca w the original matching amp. Don't remember if I posted this here before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Funny how yours has a roller bridge and a fixed tailpiece, whereas mine has a vibrato and a simple bridge that if I used the vib. would result in some pretty instantaneous tuning issues.

bender66 likes this.
  15. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Closet "Classic"??

A friend just brought out this guitar he's had "under the bed" for more than twenty years, Kent Model 834. Other than missing parts on the tremolo it works fine. We strung it up and it plays nicely. Not even a scratch from the pots. Some serious checking and cracking on the finish, but the wood is solid. Nut is metal. Not sure if that is original or not.

kent834.jpg

16. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

old guitar player likes this.
  17. jimmy74

jimmy74 TDPRI Member

I have come across a mystery guitar, just wondering what you guys think? Is it MIJ or Korean or Chinese? 0DACEA71-8F25-43D3-8B73-EA6277AB86AD.png

old guitar player likes this.
  18. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Just picked this up yesterday. Early 70's PAN P-23 Trini Lopez copy with a few modifications done by the previous owner.

[​IMG]

The interesting headstock with the logo worn away. The old nut has been replaced with what looks like a handmade one of bone.
    [​IMG]

The previous owner replaced the old trapezoid machine heads with newer vintage Kluson style ones.
    [​IMG]

Bolt on neck.
    [​IMG]

Pickups and bridge. The neck pickup is original and the bridge pup has been replaced with a very nice sounding HB. In fact both pickups sound wonderful. The original roller bridge has been replaced with a Tune-O-matic one. It works but I need to shape the bottom of it to the top of the guitar. The previous owner neglected to do that.

[​IMG]

Original control knobs wired in their original configuration. They work perfectly however I do not know it they're the original pots.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.