1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Checking out a Gibson 335 copy tomorrow

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by McGlamRock, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+100 on the counterfeit. As someone else mentioned ... bad mojo.

2. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I have a Firefly 335 style that you might take a look at. The fret ends need some care but a really nice looking, good playing guitar for $200. Firefly LP338 is the model number.

[​IMG]

This isn't mine but they look exactly the same.

McGlamRock and nojazzhere like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I kinda have a different approach to this, When it comes down to it in my mind... any guitar that replicates an original design someone came up with is really "counterfeit". A Tele design is a Tele design no matter if you call it something else by name.
    If Ford had come out with an identical 55 Chevy, but called it a Feavy, it would still have been a counterfeit 55 Chevy.

So once you "go there", no more duplicate designs, no duplicate amps, no duplicate ES335's, Strats, cover songs etc. are acceptable. It's still a stolen concept.

You can't have it both ways.

McGlamRock likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm glad you passed on it.....your Karma will be pleased.
    A lot of folks are recommending Epiphones, and they ARE good. But I would check out a Grote 335 copy on Amazon. $170-200 shipped, and they are amazing instruments. My tech was so impressed when I took mine to him for a set-up, that he bought one himself. The Grotes, or Firefly version are as good as an Epi, just cheaper. Then, perhaps someday you can get an authentic Gibson, and not contribute to thievery. Good luck. IMG_0218.JPG

McGlamRock likes this.
  5. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

you could probably get an actual guitar for the same money, look at Gretsch, Epiphone, Hamer. The construction on these is suspect, along with the fretwork.
    back in the 80's they were importing M1a rifles from China (semi auto M14s) and the metallurgy was so bad that when you fired them the action would stretch, and start spitting sparks after 8 or 10 rounds. A whole cottage industry appeared to heat treat these Guns, and make them usable. It's really easy to get screwed here, and... you don't want to support these activities.
    mp

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I had a 60's Riviera like the one pictured above. Loved the mini humbuckers and one of the best guitars I've owned. Robben Ford has made a couple of albums playing a Riviera exclusively. I may have to check one of the RI's out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.