Checking my logic with guitar build

klasher

Tele-Holic
Ok, I need to check my logic with a custom tele project. I’m having someone cut a custom body for me in swamp ash. First I’m ordering a Musikraft neck, which I‘ll also have finished in a vintage tint. I plan to have the neck complete first.
First question: this will involve having a maple neck and swamp ash body blank shipped in winter termperatures. Is that a concern?
Once the neck is complete, I’ll hand that off to the guy cutting the body so he can route the neck pocket corrrectly and ensure all the measurements line up.
I’m guessing he’ll want to install the bridge and pickup to make sure everything lines up intonation wise? I’ll need to confirm that with him.
Next, I get the body finished.
Second question: should all cavities be routed and holes drilled before finishing? I’m thinking of the deeper holes and cavities as well as the shallow holes like the pickguard screws. What about shielding?
Third question: I may ship the body to someone out of town to finish. Should I have a thin coat of sealer sprayed on it to keep it from warping at that point?
Once it’s finished I’m having someone else assemble.
How do things sound so far?

Freeman Keller

Doctor of Teleocity
I think you should be asking the people who will be doing the work for you. Sounds like you have quite a team.

Shipping wood in winter conditions should not be a problem. Your builder should know how to stabilize it to his/her shop environment. Sounds like the neck will be finished - some finishes will check if taken from a cold outside to warm inside too rapidly. Would be worth asking Musikraft what they think.

If it was me I would want the neck and all the hardware before I started making the body. The neck determines everything. I route all the cavities and drill holes before finishing. I shield after finishing before I do the wiring and assembly. Since you haven't said anything about how you want it finished I can't say what prep you should do. In general I would want to do all my own prep. I have done the final assembly on parts guitars for others, I would want to know a whole lot about your playing and expectations before I do the setup.

klasher

Tele-Holic
yeah I'm concerned about the checking. I want a vintage finish with a glossy clear coat. The vintage tint offered by Musikraft is extremely subtle, to say the least. So I'm going to have them do a thin lacquer sealer (they're cheapest finishing option) just to get their warranty, then I'm going to have someone else give it a vintage finish and then send it directly to the guy cutting the body for me. That's a lot of different environments it'll be going in and out of. I'll ask both Musikraft and my finishing guy for their thoughts. Thanks!

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Wouldn’t sweat it. I’ll bet that wood has been outside more than it’s been inside. Only time I’d worry is if it’s finished in nitro or finished before it was dried. So if you’re concerned let it sit in the box for a day before opening.

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
OP - tinted oil left, thin lacquer sealer right. Both rock maple. It's not that subtle.

1000001233.jpg

eallen

Friend of Leo's
For finished items shipped in the winter I have found it wise to let them set inside unopened in the package they arrive in for a 8 to 24+ hours depending on how cold it is. That allows the produce to slowly warm up allowing the finish & wood to warm & expand at a similar rate. Opening immediately forces the finish to warm & expand much faster than the wood expands thus cracking the finish. Learned it the hard way.

pipthepilot

Tele-Meister
Regarding your second question "should all cavities be routed and holes drilled before finishing?"

Simple answer yes.

It's the easiest way to do it and means you're less likely to damage paint.

I personally don't bother drilling the pickguard holes until I'm assembling the guitar. Ff you drill them before, it's not a problem but you will need to drill them again to remove the paint from the holes.