1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Check out these custom made metal picks

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Doctorx33, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

600CE45C-F637-4515-87F8-980AFFEB105A.jpeg I recently facebooked a woman who seemed interesting to me. She is a metalsmith who makes custom jewelry out of all sorts of interesting materials. I messaged her asking if she could make me a metal pick, not knowing one of products she produces was exactly that.

She uses different metals and I ended up getting several different ones. I was in need of a metal pick because I bought a Brian May guitar knockoff and wanted things to be as close to what BM uses, so of course I need a metal pick. I bought a six pence coin off Ebay to try but just couldn't use it; it was too small and had no point.

The left two are brass and copper, the right four are titanium, and you may not believe this, but the remaining dirty looking pick is made from metal that came from the airplane crash that Ronnie Van Zant and others were in. I didn't ask her how she obtained the metal. The feel and tone of the different metals is noticeable, I like them all.

If anyone is interested her website is www.plectrumheaven.com, her name is Heather.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    M2roadwarrior likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Metal Picks. Got popular after the Back to the Future movie in the mid 80's. I bought a couple back then and didn't really think much of them.
    Don't know if Brian May uses them or not, EVH claimed they gave him Cancer, BFG claimed he used filed down Peso coins.
    Johnny Van Zant wasn't in a plane crash, his older brother Ronnie is the one that died in a plane crash with his band mates. That pick wasn't made from crash material because the ATSB authorities don't allow crash material to be sold for profiteering.

You got snookered.

Henley likes this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Six pence at the bottom...they are quite small. These by Highland Plectrum (no affiliation) via Reverb.

IMG_6530.JPG

Blister and Doctorx33 like this.
  4. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

Have had one big rounded-equilateral-triangle shape steel pick, fairly thin, since the mid-90's. It lives with my Washburn jumbo 12-string now. Nothing else works as well with that guitar, and none of my other guitars works very well with that pick, but the two of them together are perfect--big clear notes without the slappy plastic sound. If it ever gets lost, I know who to call. TY

Doctorx33 likes this.
  5. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Nope.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8AjZRmVaRuoGNnmn9

6. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

As I said, I’m trying to emulate Brian May. These picks give that scrapey, metallic tone that he gets. I can’t wait until until I get this guitar back together to try the whole rig out.

stormsedge likes this.
  7. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I don't know that I've ever seen a video in which I can see just exactly how Brian May wields his sixpence coin, but it has something to do with those ridgey things. Maybe if you emailed him and asked for a video in which he demos it more clearly, he'd make one. Or point us to one he's already made.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  8. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

The plink would drive me crazy. Albini uses one in shellac, among other metal things (Travis bean).

Doctorx33 likes this.
  9. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

I like the sound of metal picks, stainless in particular. But I can tell you this, one or two beers too many, and some spirited playing with a stainless steel pick can lead to "unintended relicing". Turns out that stainless is much harder than the mahogany body of an SG.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I ALMOST love metal picks.
    I definitely don't like the sharpened quarters...to thick...too much bevel.
    I've hammered/"drawn out" a few quarters to a thin point...better.
    Thin copper made from water pipes...best!
    Thin and stiff works for me.
    It's a bit hard to control them.
    I don't like to tweak controls and step on pedals much, so I tend to keep settings the same for a particular tune and use my right hand to bring things up or down.
    Metal requires a level of control I don't always have.
    And on the rare occasions I try to get dramatic and bring the band way down while I inflict my guitar upon the audience, I can really hear the clang of the pick on the strings.
    Sometimes it's better than plastic, sometimes it's worse.
    For now, I stick with plastic and take the middle road.

11. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

Look, you do what you want, but If I wanted to emulate Brain May, I'd suck it up and use the coin. Take a day and get used to it, I don't just buy things because I'm uncomfortable at the starting line.

12. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You're right, I don't believe it. And even if I did, that's not something I personally would want to own. That was a sad, tragic day.

13. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks for the post! Ian Bairnson is one of my guitar heroes, he also uses a sixpence, been wanting to try a metal pick!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.