1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Check out my new (Old) Ibanez.......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by J. Hayes, Aug 21, 2008.

1. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I know I probably paid too much for it ($300) but I couldn't help it. I bought this 1978 Ibanez PF200 from a local player who'd had it for quite awhile. I couldn't believe what great shape the guitar is in! The finish is a nice ivory white with gold hardware and the neck is to die for. The action is very low with no buzzes just as I like it. I've put on a set of hybrids 9-46 and tweaked the pickup pole pieces a little. That plus a set of Schaller straplocks and it was gig ready. I took it to the gig this past weekend and was a very happy camper.

It had a very nice bright but fat sound and good for many styles of music. With the control configuration, it looks like it operates like a Les Paul but it doesn't. The top two knobs are both volumes for their respective pickups and the knobs right under them are the tone controls. I kinda like that better that the way a Les Paul is set up. Here's a couple of shots of it. Has anyone here ever had one of these or played one?.......JH in Va.

Attached Files:

2. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Looks nice!

3. superlightweigh

superlightweigh Tele-Holic

I've never played one but it looks nice and if it plays as good as you say-- I'd be very happy. I don't think $300 is too much for a guitar like that.

4. Cyrithicus

Cyrithicus Tele-Afflicted

Looks good, I'd pay $300 for a decent guitar. As long as it sounds good!

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think that you did really well. The old lawsuit Ibanez guitars have a real cult following.

I'll bet that this one fetches over $500.....

Lawsuit Ibanez

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Sweet axe sir. I'd pay $300 in a heartbeat for one of those.

I've seen some of the nicer set-necks going for $700-$900, and worth every penny in my book.

Good score.

7. teleman65

teleman65 Tele-Holic

PF200 is not a Lawsuit Ibanez and isn't likely at this time to get $500.
    Hang onto it though because they are going up in value.
    If it was a PF300 or PF400 the value would be going up faster since those are set neck while the PF100 and PF200 are bolt neck. The Super 70 pickups are increasing in value but IMO they are worth keeping. I've got a PF100 and think it's a great guitar especially for what it cost me. You got a fair deal and it will go up in value.

8. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

i was typing my response to this when it all suddenly vanished...anyway...yes i had one of those some 10 years ago, only in a tobacco burst....i foolishly either sold or traded it off (can't remember which...!!?) because i felt at the time any Les Paul style guitar MUST have a set neck.....i would fork out $300 very quickly if i found another one.....good score there, J.............

9. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the old Ibanez guitars back thru the early 80's. I used to own a 79 or 80 Ibanez artist - ash body, ebony board, abalone, gold, flying fingers pickups... wonderful stuff.

I'd probably give a (relatively) infrequently used portion of my anatomy to get it back.

More on topic, I've played the performers before, and they are really nice guitars.... good find!

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I think you did pretty good with that price.
    I like the knobs being wired as you described WAY better than a Gibson's. I never did make sense of their layout.

11. direstraitsfan

direstraitsfan Tele-Meister

I think Ibanez guitars of that era are amongst the best instruments one can get if they are after a playing guitar. my main accoustic is a 1981 M340 TV which, even though it's nothing fancy, it passes as a great guitar just for messing about with on a lazy sunday afternoon.

12. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Looks great. I had a double cut Aria-Pro from the same era and it was a super guitar.

13. E.D. Patton

E.D. Patton Tele-Afflicted

I think you did just fine with that one.

I really like some of those 70s Ibanez. Great players.

14. teleman65

teleman65 Tele-Holic

I really like this one.
    Still getting used to the controls after so many years of the Gibson layout. I might change that.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.