Cheapest way to learn a new language

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rxtech, Sep 7, 2019.

1. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations about what would be the cheapest way to learn a new language? What has worked best for you?

2. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

duolingo to start, and then join a learning group in your city. This is often a group that gets together for beer or coffee once a week to use the language they're trying to learn.

Fretting out, maxvintage and dented like this.
  3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Work in a kitchen!

4. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

If you are trying to learn Spanish, I see you are registered California, try William Harvey. Available on Amazon Online and Kindle supported stuff. He has a Spanish for Healthcare Professionals and it got me going on the right trail. Now I am speaking to patients in Spanish and I never ever expected that would happen. I like the language learning you can listen to in the car and just keep yapping while you listen. As others have said it is also very important to practice especially with native speakers and have them help you with pronunciation in any language. Once you get going it can be fun. I even tell jokes in Spanish now, it's hilarious to me that they understand me and laugh! Get to learning!

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Start young ( @rxtech too late for you :twisted:), and just get thrown into the deep end right away! :eek::twisted:

This was me 60+ years ago. When I was 4 years old, my Dad moved our family to San Juan, Puerto Rico, where we lived for 5 years. I started kindergarten in Spanish, and though I didn't do well in school because of the language barrier (I've got some horror stories, but I'll spare you), I learned Spanish by playing with the neighbor kid next door. That and listening to songs in Spanish. Music was a great help to me.

dented likes this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

CD in the car was good for getting conversation basics.. you can talk aloud and no one bothers.

Is it for travel, work or working with friends/colleagues?

I do like idea of immersing yourself with some helpful native speakers. Work did that for me.

rangercaster likes this.
  7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Your local library should be some help ...

Fretting out likes this.
  8. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Get yourself a foreign girlfriend or wife or whatever. Sure speeds things up but be aware that hot Latin women may become incandescent at the slightest provocation. Treat with extreme caution and you should be alright... :eek:

Actually, my Spanish isn't much better than a ten-year-old's but senorita esseff speaks enough English for us to bumble through life. If I asked her to, she'd correct my grammatical mistakes but we're relaxed enough not to be bothered about errors. There's always Google Translate if it's vital there are no misunderstandings. So, I'm not a good example of the system I'm advocating!

dented likes this.
  9. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Don't axe me. I have trouble understanding people five states away.

10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I heard someone say they learned a language very quickly when in a foreign prison, to a very deep level, given you were learning on a life or death basis

telestratosonic and kbold like this.
  11. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Ha ha, yep, I’m getting up in my years! I am fortunate that I took 1 1/2 years of Spanish in high school and actually remember some. I think I could learn with enough effort/practice.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

I downloaded this app, thanks!

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I took Spanish in high school as well, after returning to Texas. But I took it primarily because I figured I could skate by with minimal effort and still pass, since I could speak the language. As I said before, I had a less than stellar track record in school, from grade school on through high school. (Again, horror stories...) And beyond that, I ain't never had me know kolige edumacashun. :oops::twisted:

But I have used my Spanish all these years in Texas, which, especially here in South Texas, is pretty easy to do. And again, music helps. I do quite a few songs in Spanish in my performance repertoire. And I converse with people in my audience that do speak Spanish and engage me afterwards. I'm not fluent, but can carry on a conversation if I need to and generally understand what is said to me.

Hiker likes this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

This actually works I had a job at a plastic plant and 98% of the workers were from southern Mexico we didn’t really have to interact but I have a fascination with other cultures so I started talking to the manager that knew the most English and now I know a good bit of Spanish haven’t had to use it in a while but I’d love to have a couple languages under my belt before too long. This only works if you’re looking for a job though

As an actual recommendation I’d say first get some books on the language you’d like to speak and maybe join a couple bilingual forums where you can converse with native speakers, I believe there is also an app That allows you to converse with someone in another language that helps you learn(I just saw someone found that app for you I’ve heard good things about it)
    It’s most beneficial I’ve found out to converse with a native speaker that already knows a good bit of your native language

15. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Move out of state and carve a new life. JMHOYMMV

16. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

Didn't the original post say the CHEAPEST way?

Piggy Stu, Flaneur and dented like this.
  17. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Shack up with a woman who speaks the language. If you are already married, don't suggest this to your wife.

18. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

What do you plan to do with your new language?

19. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The best way is the most expensive way ... live in the country.
    But this doesn't answer your original question.

You need to talk the language with a native tongue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.