Cheapest possible 5E3

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Prophetsnake, Sep 27, 2019.

1. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I don't find a rectifier tube on musicstores homepage. So I'm a bit sceptical. Plus it has a five star review already ;D

Prophetsnake likes this.
  2. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sure, but that's a lot more than he can afford. Apart from that, he wants me to build it for him. We've been friends for a very long time and he really wanted something I'd made myself. What I was really looking for was a way to build one on a shoestring - a fraction of that price.
    I agree though, it's not a lot of money for what it is, considering you'd pay two or three times that for a handbuilt boutique 5E3

3. Prophetsnake

That amp for 300 bucks? That's unbelievable!

Alamo likes this.
  4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

The review was in german - I put it through google translate:
    I added some * remarks to make it less cryptic.

What a great amp ..... really !!!!
    Rating by: BigDean on 24.8.19

The amplifier is well made, the case does not rattle, no droning, very good look. 15 watts are loud enough even with drummer. But he can also quietly, no noise.
    The speaker sounds very good from the beginning, not necessary to import. meaning * no speaker break-in needed.
    The different inputs allow many sound variations. Even without reverb, with corresponding overdrive, it always sounds warm and has overtones. As basis for my Tech21 RK V2 the amp is perfect. Single coil or humbucker fit. Since some amps will have to go out of my fund. Now I have ordered the 2nd Memphis, now rumors how good he is. *the rumors can spread how good it is
    The price and the sound make me stunned ..... it deserves the word "vintage" sound.

he sounds enthusiastic and real to me.
    I placed an order but it won't be here until Dec 6th..........a loooong time.
    well see.

5. Alamo

Bummer, I got an email from Musicstore today.
    they're sorry to say the shipment, once again, is delayed until January 17th :mad::cry:
    I was expecting the Memphis Blues to be here tomorrow. urrgh.

@Prophetsnake , how's your project coming along?

6. Prophetsnake

Good, thanks. I have all the bits together. The guy who I'll be building it with will be staying with me for much of January, and the plan is to get it assembled while he's here.
    In the end, we settled on a 5C3 Deluxe. It'll be point to point and loaded from the back of a cabinet on a shelf. I've finally got DIYLC installed and I'm wrestling with that now.. We'll post pics of the build as it goes!

The most interesting bit is seeing how my cheap cheap transformers perform. I am planning ahead, though. We're going to cut a hole for a Classictone PT so he can slot one on without having to cut into the chassis. The standup one will fit nicely over the hole.

drneilmb and Alamo like this.
  7. Prophetsnake

Do you reckon you'll get zapped for import on it?
    I bought something large-ish from China recently with the post included in the price. DHL added their own charge at my end, and customs placed a tax on that charge, resulting in fees that were 67% of the purchase price, when they should have been 23%. Ran around in circles trying to sort it out. DHL were completely useless and customs only slightly less so.
    Never again! A bag of resistors or something, fine, but anything else I will get from Mouser or somewhere in Germany.

8. Alamo

Nope, MusicStore.de is the importer, not me.

I'm to squeemish to buy bigger stuff from China.
    there's always something to rear it's ugly head.... safety regulations, counterfeits, fees, taxes, customs, species, rare earth and other stuff one can't even imagine.

Prophetsnake likes this.
  9. Prophetsnake

Very wise.
    I've been in Musicstore in Cologne many times. Even bought a few guitars there.

Alamo likes this.
  10. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

So @Prophetsnake how much would u charge for a built 5e3 including parts. I am interested. I’d like it to be a spot on replica visually, but that is not a dealbreaker.

Can I see pics of your work? Where are u located?

Prophetsnake likes this.
  11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Says right on his tag. Ireland.

I wonder if he'll ship to "wherever"?

Bill Moore likes this.
  12. BeatlesAreMyJam

Heh shipping would be twice the cost of the amp!

What about u @muchxs? We’ve talked about this before I think? Let’s restart the discussion?

13. BeatlesAreMyJam

Yea. Sorry to derail u. I was just responding to the thread title without reading the thread...

14. Prophetsnake

I don't think you want one of mine! They're okay, but I'm still very much an amateur. This 5C3 I'm discussing here is for a friend. He and I are going to build it together, the idea being that he learn at least enough to do minor maintenance, repairs and so forth. But mostly just for two old friends to have a bit of fun.
    Also, he's a killer guitarist and one of these things will sound so good in his hands.
    Thanks for asking though!

There are a lot of guys out there building really nice replicas of old amps, and IMO building them at very reasonable prices for what they are.

15. BeatlesAreMyJam

All good @Prophetsnake. I am talking to @muchxs who is the TDP 5e3 guru.

I’m sure your amp will turn out great and you’ll soon be giving him a run for his money!

Prophetsnake likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.