Cheapest possible 5E3

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Prophetsnake, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks, but that'd be way over budget. I think I could build one, o proper wine with a valve rectifier, original spec transformers and so on, for maybe 300 - no cab or speaker - but even that is a bit too rich for him. I've made him a Champ on my own dime already, and even with cab, tolex, speaker, valves and everything, I did that for less than $150 getting creative with what I had lying around.
    So this is partly to make as nice an amp as I can, one that this guy can play out, and a challenge for myself as well as learning a bit more about building!

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  2. Prophetsnake

Jaaaaysus! They charge only 30$ more for a fully assembled amp over the price of a kit!
    At the rate it takes me to build one I'd be making pennies.
    Having said that, I suppose someone doing them all day could do it in just a few hours, so that might actually be a good job in China.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  3. Prophetsnake

I'll definitely be having a go at this one, and I'll be sure to post sound clips of the man himself playing it.

Incidentally, a TDPRI member has generously offered a speaker for the project, and another a chassis.
    Thank you, gentlemen.

4. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

This thread is worthless w/o pix.

5. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

While not a guitar amp it does give some representative voltages. Pretty sure the 15 ohm on the 6V6 cathodes are volts.

[​IMG]

6. BeatlesAreMyJam

incoming

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

8. printer2

If you can bend a piece of sheet metal, I had a series of pictures on how but Photobucket messed that up, or slip a furnace AC shop to bend you a piece. Glue some pine together.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/

Vacuum Tube - 12V6GT $6.90

JJ Electronic ECC83MG / 12AX7MG Price: $12.45

Fender Original Blues Junior output transformer $25.15

Socket - 9 Pin, $3.69

Socket - Belton, Micalex, 8 pin octal $3.50

Knob - Chicken Head $1.40

Potentiometer - Alpha, Audio, ⅜" Bushing $1.60

Capacitor - F&T, 500V 22u $3.95

Capacitor - 500V, Silver Mica $0.80

Capacitor - 630V, Metal Film, Tubular

0.0047uF $0.60

0.022u $0.46

0.100u $0.69

Capacitor - Illinois, 50V, 22µF $0.47

Resistors - 5 Watt, Wirewound

250R $1.14

4.7k $1.14

Resistors - 1 Watt, Carbon Film 10k $2.00

Resistors - 0.5 Watt, Carbon Film 5 pack $1.32

1M

820R

Turret Board - Black, 2mm, Loaded with 33 Turrets designed for a 5E3 board $15.31

Switchcraft, ¼", Mono 2-Conductor $1.95

Switchcraft, ¼", Mono 2-Conductor, shunt tip $2.15

-------------------------

Roughly $140 plus shipping, I messed around whith what parts I picked and adjusted the price but might have missed a buck or two.

This is without power transformer. I don't see the point of a 5Y3 instead of a couple of diodes and a dropping resistor for sag. I have used a 12V laptop power supply for the heaters and used a 120/240:120 isolation transformer as the high voltage supply. I have used a 120/240:120 with the windings reversed with the line coming into the 120V secondary and used the two 120V windings in series (designed to use for 120V or 240V) into a bridge rectifier. Or just the 120:120 into a voltage doubler.

And something I want to use instead of a power transformer is run the amp off of a 12V laptop brick and step up the voltage for the high voltage with a HV module you can get online for less than $10. I find the laptop bricks for under $5 at thrift stores, it would be embarrassing to show how many I have. Mind you the 12V ones are rarer than the 17-19 volt ones. But then there are small switching boards that you can again get online for about a buck to bring the voltage up or down for about a buck. One the President changes the rules on what the post office needs to charge to ship stuff getting trinkets for less than the postage will be a thing of the past. Until then...

You can go for 6V6's, if using 12V just put them in series. But the 12V6's are NOS and to get anything close you can look at for or five times the cost. For cheaper tubes add another $20 to the cost. Not a lot more but when you are shaving pennies you shave off where you can. Mind you, if you are buying nonstandard tubes you might as well get enough to last a while. I have about 20, I won't have to but any more in my lifetime. If not looking for a 5E3 but a Tweed amp like the Harvard or Princeton you can loose a volume pot and a couple of jacks. If you do the Mosfet PI you can knock off one tube and socket. The PI is probably two bucks in parts if you are thrifty. I think without the power transformer you can still get a cathode biased P-P 12V6/12AB5/12AQ5 Tweed amp with the above parts for around $100.

Real silly of me doing this post, I should have been working out in the yard, but when I get onto something that is the way it goes.

KellyWalrus likes this.
  9. Prophetsnake

Heh, I know how that goes!
    Thank you for taking the time. Some very useful stuff in what you posted there.

I can bend up a chassis, no problem. In fact, I have a small brake in the shop. I've made several out of both steel and aluminium. I have most of the parts organised, and I have a stash, which I hope will cover the alterations you suggested, but the transformers, tubes, sockets and all that I have already. I have a SS bass amp I can cannibalise for a chassis and other odds and ends as well.

And it hasn't been useless to me ;)
    When construction begins, I'll post a few pics.

10. printer2

I'm pretty sure you can find your way around building, just thought I would post that in case it encourages someone else. I used tubesandmore as a source for my parts for the $100 build way back when. Others picked and choose among a few vendors, I figure all the shipping eats up the savings. On a basic build, drop one of the 12AX7's, use a 7-pin tube, a 12AV6, 12AT6, all kinds of fun.

11. claes

claes Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    This china mable audio mentioned point to point for 280 dollar seems hard to beat.
    I have a chinese point to point 5f2 that is great.

Alamo likes this.
  12. BeatlesAreMyJam

So with these new Chinese offerings, how much is the cheapest possible ASSEMBLED 5e3? Used to be around 1200...

13. BeatlesAreMyJam

Does MONOPRICE make one?

14. Alamo

I have chinese point-to-point 5f11 vibrolux clone. it's light, sounds great and even the cab is not particle board.

14-DSCN1887.JPG

if that Memphis Blues is near that quality I'm surely going to get one. 300€ !!!

claes likes this.
  15. BeatlesAreMyJam

Are these factory assembled?

16. Alamo

Which one? the 5f11 or 5e3?
    factories in China can be 5 to 5000 people assembling things, I think.
    my 5f11 had this on the back:

24-DSCN1897.JPG

the Memphis will be distributed through DV24.uk and Musicstore.de, so a tiny batch, non factory, but with QC seems to be out of the equation ...to me.
    guess I'll be an early adoptor and see.

17. BeatlesAreMyJam

And how much? In dollars pls...

18. BeatlesAreMyJam

DuckDuckGo is my friend...

19. BeatlesAreMyJam

750? A steal.

20. BeatlesAreMyJam

Lundback? Doesn’t sound chinese...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.