Cheapest possible 5E3

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Prophetsnake, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I built one of those circuit boards, and found on power up, that I had to go back and solder from the top as well as the bottom!

zephyrR1 likes this.
  2. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Different approaches to marketing. Google the "Chivas Regal effect."

3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Got it. I''ll take the $100 set.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Urshurak776 likes this.
  6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

That would work fine.

7. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like your mods to that circuit. I'm more than a little uncertain how to calculate how that PI needs to be set up though. I know how it works in principle, but how to select the correct resistors, not at all.

8. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I have an old alnico speaker for this project, if you need one. It’ll only cost you/him shipping.

Prophetsnake likes this.
  9. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

If you need a 5u4GB, I can send one or two of those for free.

10. printer2

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/cathodyne.html

Just use 47k-100k and you should be fine, the 6V6 will clip before the cathodyne.

But as far as changing the circuit, the 2.2M grid resistor on the cathodyne does not need to be that high and just adds noise, 220k to 1M if you have it. The 390k on the 6V6's also are a little high, 220k to 330k will work better.

11. Prophetsnake

Well, at this stage, I am thinking of going with the "Dano Inspired Amp" you posted a couple of days ago. The 6SQ7 PI you suggest, as well as the other mods like the post pre-amp Vol and Tone already seem to be in there already as well as the value changes you've suggested. Have you actually built this circuit? The only other thing I would add is a master volume, I think.

12. printer2

No I haven't built it but there is nothing new to the stages that hasn't been done before. I have a few 6SJ7's and have not used one yet, you almost had me throw a breadboarded example if the Dano together. I am wondering if it has enough gain with just the 6SJ7. If my electronic work area was not piled with stuff I would give it a go. I have pretty much abandoned the Cathodyne in favor of a Mosfet version of it. A master volume has nothing to work with because their is no gain in the Cathodyne, what is coming out of the volume control is the same size signal as going into the 6V6's. A VVR is an option to reduce the supply voltage.

You know, just in case the 6SJ7 does not have enough gain, plan on the circuit board to use a dual triode with an extra plate and cathode resistor. That way with just rewiring the tube you could add another gain stage before the cathodyne with little effort.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  13. Prophetsnake

I built a Valco-ish/5A3 sort of amp with a 6SJ7, 6SN7 and two 6V6 a few years ago. It's very loud and has some breakup, but not as much as a 5E3. For my type of playing it sounds fantastic, if a bit on the dark side. I must tinker with it and see what else I can get it to do!
    I bought a lot of 6SJ7s, and have some from the previous project, so I will build this one as you posted it. with a 6SJ& as the pre-amp, and then a 6AQ7 in the next position and see how it works.

14. Prophetsnake

Sorry, just woke up and didn't read this thoroughly enough the first time. This is a great idea. No circuit board in any case, it'll be point to point and on a fairly large chassis, so I'll just put a nice large terminal strip there in case I want to expand. But are you suggesting an AX12* or a an old octal tube of some sort?

15. printer2

A 6SN7 is the octal equivalent of the 12AU7. Not as much gain as a 12AX7 but you may not need more if you have the 6SJ7 up front. A 6SL7 is the 12AX7 equivalent but a gain of 70 rather than the 100 of the 12AX7. So you could go with a single triode bottle but the heater requirement is the same for a single as a dual. Mind you, (I hate to say it) if you do go with a dual in the PI slot you could use a 6SC7 (or 6SL7) in the 6J7 slot and have an octal 5E3. While the single and dual triodes have the same heater pins the plate is the same on one triode, the single has the grid and cathode different. So even if going with the single triode at first, just change two pins and then wire up the second triode if you decide to switch.

See how much of a rabbit hole this amplifier thing is?

16. Prophetsnake

Heh, already knew that. More than one of my projects have gone that way. Incredibly, they've all turned out pretty well - so far! Between what I have on hand and what I've ordered, I'll still with your Dano inspired circuit and see how that goes. So, 6SJ&, 6SQ7 and the two 6V6. SS rectifier. I was going to do a valve rectifier, but my transformer is 220V and I doubt it would get everything up where it needs to be otherwise.
    After it's built, I can tinker with the V1. I have a good variety of the old tin tubes lying around. It'll be a while before I get to it. What I'd like to do is get my friend to build it himself with me helping him out. He'll be visiting me in a month or two. He can build the cab himself when he gets home.

17. printer2

6SJ7, 6SQ7 and the two 6V6. SS rectifier. I have the same combination sitting in a box for me to build with. I haven't been building amps for a while, other priorities. But I have some extra time this winter so I should get a few finished.

Prophetsnake likes this.
  18. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

19. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

BOOM!!

20. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Can get a relatively generic assembled 5e3 for around $1000-1200. Small price to pay for a CLASSIC amp that will sound SICK.

I got a VICTORIA DOUBLE DELUXE for $1200 at GC and I can tell u this. I will never HAVE to purchase another amplifier.

But I am mostly a HOME PLAYER so there’s that...

image.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.