Cheapest possible 5E3

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Prophetsnake, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sure. But it's not a kit I'm looking at doing.
    A chassis is not hard to do. I've done several for $0 and I did a really nice one for a Supro where I bought the aluminium for about ten bucks and folded it. I do have a drill press and a bending brake, so that's no problem. No graphics but a letraset or some paint can take care of that.
    What I'm really looking to do is build one out of scrounged, modified or other jiggery-pokeried bits to keep the cost down but the quality high. I did that with his Champ, in fact. I had a transformer from a failed 600 modification, and I got a kit of small parts from Boothill for about $40, a proper Classictone OT and made the rest myself to come out with a pretty good amp for not much more than $125 buck including the cab and speaker. I'm hoping to do something similar with a Deluxe. It doesn't have to look nice, just play as well as one.

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on a WF-55.

Prophetsnake likes this.
  3. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I think the OP's plan is right. Look out for bits as and when.

Tube-town in Germany often has cheap chassis, i picked up one for a Deluxe Micro for £10, plus a PCB etc. Keep an eye on their sale items. Their shipping is cheap, so definitely worth going to them for items you can't find in a skip etc.

Tonetele likes this.
  4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

See one, pick it up, take it home. Free. Might have to answer questions at some point or maybe go to jail... but... free...

Prophetsnake likes this.
  5. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

Here is a thread where I built a 5e3 using a donor cab and chassis from and old solid state amp. I use this amp daily.

https://www.aguitarforum.com/thread...s-solid-state-hohner-hi-210r-5e3-build.98035/

I had some donor parts from an old amp, some parts left over from previous builds and some parts I purchased for this build. I'd guess I spent somewhere around $300 for the build initially, and maybe an additional $200 for later upgrades (speakers, NOS tubes, etc.)

In the end, building an amp is usually more expensive than buying one used or even new. Manufacturers have economies of scale in their favor that you don't have. Build it for the love of the project, not to save cash. If cash is an issue, recycling/repurposing parts/cabinets/chassis is the way to go. Maybe find a 15 watt used Monoprice amp for a song and put a 5e3 in there. Heck, a new one is around $250.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  6. Prophetsnake

That's very cool! Sure. I've built a few and I know how much they can cost. I have done a couple very cheap and one Champ I built that way, with a second hand Mod speaker is the best one I've built to date! It cost less than a quarter the total of my Deluxe and sounds at least as good.

7. Prophetsnake

Okay, I may have come up with a solution. There's a Danelectro with a similar configuration to a 5A3 that also uses a 6X5 rectifier. The plate voltages are very low, so as it happens, I have a toroidal transformer that will work perfectly, as well as what I think will be a good OT. I've got a few spare parts lying around, so I totted up what I'd need to buy, parts wise, and it came out to less than forty bucks. 6SJ7's are cheap enough, so less than forty on tubes. Ad a scrap metal chassis, and whatever he can scrape up for a speaker and miscellaneous and voila, a Tweed-era push-pull amp for 150 bucks or thereabouts!

https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/files/Danelectro/Dano_special.pdf

Any opinions?

6stringcowboy likes this.
  8. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

I really liked the Eminence Ragin Cajun in my 5e3 but that was a 10-inch speaker. It was only 65 bucks though. I've been thinking about converting my amp to a 12in speaker.

9. claes

claes Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    Musicstore.de will start to sell these the 8 december for 314 euros (free shipping to Irland.
    But they don't seem to have a rectifier tube

The laney cub 10 (not 12) ought to be tweedish with its 6v6s

10. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

If you have resistors, caps, wire, screws, etc. small parts on hand that you bought in bulk discount rates, can build your own cabinet, and have access to good transformers without ridiculous shipping -- you can build one for less than $500 American with all new parts. Hard to do it for that price as a one-off thing though.

11. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

I also would love a 5e3. There are a few for sale second hand around here (Brisbane, Aus), from a number of local people who build them, so maybe look for a second hand one?

12. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

561702-dfcb2fb39743344ffbbdaea19b6820b0.jpg For a cab you can buy one of those Bee boxes for around $20. They work great. Here is one I did not too long ago.

Marc Morfei, gkterry and screefer like this.
  13. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I remember 4-5 years ago, some seller had completed 5E3 chassis (s’..?) for like $300+ — I forget who, maybe Ceriatone but more likely a Weber/China partnership, dunno — but it was talked about and all the rage here for a while.

14. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

15. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

Beg, Borrow, Steal -
    It's fun to scrounge parts - especially with the TDPri scroungers,
    but don't forget cash works too. Find a local piub owner(s) who sympathize, and:
    [​IMG]

16. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Marc Morfei likes this.
  17. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Is that the regular sized bee box or the deep bee box?

18. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

Buy a hammond AO-29 amplifier on ebay. You can buy them for $50 bucks or so without tubes.
    This will have a chassis, transformers that will work just about perfectly (were designed for either EL84 or 6V6s, and the output transformers are interchangeable), a fuse, and good sockets. With a little deconstruction, you'll be able to save all the tube sockets, terminal strips, and keep rectifier wiring in place, etc. All you'll need to do is add new pots, switches, three-prong grounded power cord, caps and resistors for the most part. It's a really good short money way to get into it.

19. Diverted

Diverted Tele-Meister

20. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

That doesn't include iron, does it?

For the OP, find a donor amp. You can get a "for parts or repair" push-pull amp that used 2x 6V6GT, 6K6GT, 6AQ5, or 6BQ5/EL84 from old projectors, integrated mono hi-fi's, console radios/stereos, etc. for as little as $50 which can provide a chassis, transformers, tube sockets, pilot light, etc. Fisher, Heathkit, Magnavox, Bell, Bell&Howell.

Prophetsnake likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.