Cheaper Nut Slot Files?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Do you need different files for those? I've changed between 9, 10 and 11 on my guitars and friends guitars without doing anything to the nut, I just presumed all stock nuts are cut slightly over size, to accommodate all modern 'standand' string gauges? Do people cut nuts perfectly to a single string gauge usually?

Width isn't the only reason you file slots. There's much more to it with angle and depth optimized for ease of playing and intonating properly at the first couple of frets. Plenty of guitars, even new ones, have nuts that aren't cut correctly.

As others have said, just buy good, correct tools for this. The 'how can I avoid buying the nut files that are the right tool for the job' thread is a quarterly event, here. The words wasted on cheap workarounds, laid end to end, would stretch for miles.

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
When I ventured into guitar building I don't think there was any special files for nuts. I bought a file from LMI it was kind of an oval shape and is was good for all the strings. As for the welding tip cleaners anyone who uses them deserves too🙃

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Got these 10 or more years ago and they make a rounded slot. No V or square.
1644022630334.png

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
I have and use the Hoscos. They work well.

I would not want to make a nut without proper files. It's a finicky thing but so important to the overall playing condition of the instrument. A well-cut nut makes a guitar play better, and the different is not subtle. I sympathize with your cringing at the cost (I know I did) but IMO as far as the setup of the instrument is concerned it's the last place where you should cut corners. It's worth the investment.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
Funny I just sat down to have a coffee after playing one of my guitars that I've just replaced the nut on and saw this thread come back up. I bought a set of the Hosco files about 2-3 years ago for the cost of having one guitar (maybe two) done by a Pro. I've now used them on all my guitars, plus some belonging to friends.

Just replaced a worn bone nut on my Les Paul (previously changed about 5 years ago) as I went down a gauge on strings and it started to buzz a little on the D string/first fret. Now plays perfectly again, slots cut low enough for good action and no pitch change when fretting on the first fret. I never seem to need to use any 'nut sauce' since I got the files either and don't have tuning issues either.

They've paid for themselves many times over and I only bought them because I was fitting a brand new Fender neck to a Partscaster build I was doing and they come with only 'guide slots'.