Cheaper alternative to the GigRig Quatermaster?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WilburBufferson, Dec 29, 2018.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

I have it in my mind that my pedalboard is noisier than it should be and am looking at the possibility of adding a true bypass pedal loop switcher. I've got the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus (8 outputs), but it's not enough: I've got about 11 that I would like to keep on the board:

Wampler Tumnus Deluxe
    TC Polytune 2
    MXR Envelope Filter
    Way Huge Blue Hippo
    Boss Compressor 1X
    Xotic EP booster
    Strymon Big Sky
    TC Sub N Up
    Boss Phaser 1r
    Digitech Obscura Delay
    Ditto Looper
    Boss FV30 - passive volume pedal

I've got a mix of Lava mini cables and switchcraft/tightrope connectors. I don't think this is the weak link, but the compression mini cables can be a bit temperamental.

Anyway, looking for hints from anyone who has been down this road. Ideally, it would be nice to have programmable functionality where one switch could trigger 3 pedals simultaneously, but the G2 is way more than I need or am willing to spend. And... I don't think I need to have a loop for each pedal, I might be able to group a few of them, so I'd be looking at a 4-8 loop solution. Thoughts?

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Look at your power supply first. This is where most noise comes from on a board and its often the most overlooked. Is it isolated clean power? Is it enough power? GigRig also offers an elegant modular power solution as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Badger06 likes this.
  3. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Agree! Isolated power / the right amount of power is key. The Strymon will need more power than most of the others. Check out the info about power on the Gigrig website.

4. WilburBufferson

So it's the pedal power 2, but...some of the pedals share a line. What do most people do? Get a second supply? Is there one with a dozen or so isolated lines?

5. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

All the info you need is here https://www.thegigrig.com/power

For optimal results all pedals need isolated power delivered at the right amount of current (mA).

The Gigrig modular system allows you to customize the power needed for each individual pedal. It’s not cheap, but if you’re serious about solving your noise issues it’s the way to go IME.

IMG_2380.JPG

bigjon and 4pickupguy like this.
  6. 4pickupguy

Go to GigRig’s site, and go ahead and spend the ten bucks for their board diagram for your board with your equipment. The way their system works is this. There is a 5amp power brick as the base. That will safely power up to 2.5 amps (2500 miliamps, thats a lot!!) worth of equipment.
    The brick supplies the isolated transformer units such as the Timelord etc,. these units typically power a few pedals each.
    THIS IS THE SINGLE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR BOARD!!! Not only will it be quieter, the tone, sound and performance of your pedals will improve. Those pedals (investment) will be protected as well!! You will spend about $450 but It was the best money I have spent on my board. It hurts to shell out that much money, but, man o man are things better!!

Badger06 likes this.
  7. WilburBufferson

I had seen the Gig Rig videos before. I just re-watched the Kirk Fletcher and the Matt Schofield ones. Quite a convincing argument, I have to say. Hmmmm....

Badger06 and 4pickupguy like this.
  8. WilburBufferson

After watching this video, would y'all say power is a more important variable to address than pedal switching? My perspective is really changing about this issue.

Badger06 and 4pickupguy like this.
  9. 4pickupguy

It is funner to get a pedal switcher no doubt. You will still have noise issues that you will be able to deftly switch between. Spending a goodly sized chunk o' money on the bottom side of the board isnt as exciting,...
    ..until you hear it.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI forum mobile app

10. WilburBufferson

4PICKUPGUY -- thank you for your help. You really made a difference. In the end, I made an informed but different decision on the power supply and went with the Strymon Zuma. I read a lot of reviews and watched quite a few videos. It has 9 outputs, all powered at 500mA with variable voltages on a few of the ports. I am still currently two outputs short, but one person on the Gear Page posted about using one line to power a GigRig Isolator to gain 3 more, isolated outputs. Best of both worlds and something I wouldn't have thought about. The total GigRig system would have cost me around $600 in Canada. The Zuma was $300.

So...I am still potentially looking for a loop switching system if anyone has any suggestions? Thanks again. :)

Badger06 likes this.
  11. 4pickupguy

Great to hear you got your power sorted! Check out Boss’s offerings, MS-3, ES-5 & ES-8. Lots of functionality and versatility. They are also cheaper than a G2. Gassing for a ES-8 to replace my Switch Dr... someday

12. WilburBufferson

Thanks. The Boss stuff looks promising (and on budget) -- any idea where they stand, noise-wise?

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

chemobrain likes this.
  14. WilburBufferson

Interesting option, but not clickless? The Flex Reaction says "heavy duty switches" which would be my second preference, pretty sure. Wondering also if you have any experience with FR? Do they "pop" when you change loops?

15. WilburBufferson

Bumping for more suggestions regarding the original question..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

16. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

this is a nice piece of gear, thanks for paying attention .
    over here in the " stay in, play in lounge" stuff is always getting changed around so much there's
    no use for this beautiful thing.

17. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

18. WilburBufferson

BUMPING my original thread to look for current recommendations for a 4-6 loop switcher. I've emailed GigRig twice to get info about availability and shipping: no reply. I contacted Dan and the GigRig folks on Facebook: no reply. Seriously? The Quartermaster 4 clocks in at around 375 CAD with the exchange and shipping. I am considering the Boss MS-3 but I really don't need the extra effects, or want to futz around with menus or toggle between screens.

19. WilburBufferson

Anyone?

20. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

WilburBufferson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.