cheap vintage amp day, info request

jh45gun

Banned
This is the truth. This could be my favorite sounding amp ever, and I've got a DRRI, a Cube 60, and a Brownface Princeton, and a Harmony 303A to choose from.

It's at the shop right now getting a once over and a three pronged cord installed. I always am a little concerned about getting an electric shock from amplifiers.

The best thing about little amps is the capacity to turn 'em up all the way and use the volume and tone control the way Leo and Les intended.
Can't wait to get it back and see what happens.

Congrats on the amp but your comment I put in Bold is a crock if Leo and others intended that there would not be a volume knob on the amps they would just be wide open. -

Psyclone

Tele-Meister
Tech went through the amp and installed a three prong cord. He said the guts were all in great shape and loved the way it sounded. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and let it rip.

Psyclone

Tele-Meister
The story behind it is fairly unexciting. Saw it on CL listed for cheap, went over and bought it. I knew that I could at least double my investment if I sold the original speaker.

I let it lay around for the past year or so, then plugged it in and began to use it for my home practice sessions. It sounds absolutely wonderful. My favorite amp right now.

FenderT40

TDPRI Member
I saw this amp on you tube with the Kay logo and a accompanying video on how to make the amp safer by putting in a 3 prong cord. Complete with
Link: .

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
It's a Penncrest amp made by Valco for JC Pennys. Volume, tone, tremelo. Three inputs. Single 10" speaker. Three tubes 6V6, and two 12AX7s.

VERY VERY unlikely to have "3 6V6" tubes. MUCH MUCH more likely to have 2 6V6's and a rectifier, all of which are a similar size. Your tech will be able to tell you which is the rectifier, maybe 5Y3 or 5U4, etc.

Be careful: if you put the wrong tube in the rectifier position you will certainly blow the tube and you may take other stuff with it.