Cheap (under $300 CDN) SS amp recommendation for rehearsal space?

srblue5

Tele-Holic
One of my bandmates suggested I leave an amp at our rehearsal space so I don't have to keep lugging mine around. My main concerns are that I like having my amps at home for recording/practicing and I also don't necessarily want one of them stolen.

I'm thinking about getting a cheaper (likely solid state) amp -- preferably under $300CDN -- for this purpose. Volume doesn't really matter since we play pretty quietly, but reliability, decent pedal-friendly tone, and being not too valuable (in case it gets broken or stolen) are important.

Any recommendations?

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The Bandit is a good idea. The Boss or Katana also.
Cheaper a Fender Princeton Chorus isn't bad. maybe $150-175 although people try to get more from them.
Any older Peavey SS or tube is a good bet from $100 on up. I bought a Peavey 2 x 6L6 tube amp, 2 x 12 for $100 Heavy like a Twin.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
There are quite a few that come to mind, Fender LT50, Fender Champion 50, Fender Champion 40, Vox VX50, Vox VT30, Boss Katana 50, and the old standy, a used Peavey Bandit. My suggestions are all new, except the Peavey. If you go used there are a ton of possibilities. I kept my choices to 40-50 watts, except the VT30, which is a loud 30 watts. If your drummer isn't too loud, then you can go lower in power, and there are lower power versions of the Fender LT, Fender Champion, as well as Blackstar's ID Core amps, Line 6 Spider V, and a used Blackstar ID15TVP or ID30TVP would be great choices too

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Not sexy but the Roland Cube series
( used on CL) give you amp models, good effects, plenty of power depending on size you want

I have a 30W 1X10", Cube 30X that I use for gigs ( we don't rehearse anymore)
cube_30x_angle_gal.jpg

cube_30x_top_gal.jpg

But you can go up to a 1X12" with a Cube 60 or 80

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
I vote Katana too. Love my K50 mk 1, and I have read that Nashville players bring theirs when they play the strip, so if it's good enough for them...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Shared rehearsal space or not very secure?
Get a used Quilter head and the ugliest little cab you can find, maybe nail dead animal skins to the cab for extra deterrent.
Bring the head home so you’re familiar with dialing in your tones with it.
And decent small combo is bait for thieves and borrowers alike.

nedorama

Tele-Holic
They get a lot of hate, but the local rehearsal studio for us has the Line 6 Spider III 30 watt 1x12 amps. On the Clean or Blues setting with effects off, it does work as a good pedal amp. Used they can be found <$150. Good thing is no one will want to steal it... Yes, there are better amps, but if the purpose is to have a clean amp to leave there for rehearsal, this is what I'd get.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
I used to leave a Peavey KBA60 at our last rehearsal space. It's a 50w 1x15 keyboard combo. I bought it on eBay along with a Yamaha electric piano for just £25. I used a Joyo American Sound or AC Tone as a preamp. Being a keyboard amp it could take plenty of low end, and with three channels the bassist and other guitarist could also use it if they wanted to avoid lugging their own amps. Just check out what is available used. As others have said the Bandit will do the job fine. Whilst the other suggestion I like was leaving a tatty cab whilst bringing a head to rehearsal. I'm tempted by the Quilter Superblock in either US or UK configuration, if they are ever available again.

bsman

Friend of Leo's
Frankly, I'd stay away from the Peavey Bandit. New, they're about $500. They have been out in so many different guises (e.g. teal, red, black, etc.) and with so many different speaker configurations that I think it's intellectually dishonest to recommend them without specificity, because (in my experience) some are utter dogs and some are pretty good. None are outstanding, and trusting up to 40 year old solid state technology in a used amp isn't the smartest thing. Some of them are priced unrealistically on the used market, and I think it's likely to turn out better to buy a new amp - many of those mentioned here aren't much more expensive (if at all) and likely to be more useful.

djem

TDPRI Member
You should be able to score a Peavey Bandit or Studio (ideally a red stripe model) for under $300 CAD. Either has sufficient volume for your needs.

This is a good recommendation. Try and get a made in USA model if you can.

A while back I found one on Kijiji. It was a made in USA TransTube model with the Sheffield speaker. Got it for around $200, but that was before CV-19 and prices going stupid.

You can’t beat the reliability of Peavey. It will last you forever. Check out this vid by Johan Segeborn playing the same Bandit I got. Great tone IMHO.

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
Shared rehearsal space or not very secure?
Get a used Quilter head and the ugliest little cab you can find, maybe nail dead animal skins to the cab for extra deterrent.
Bring the head home so you’re familiar with dialing in your tones with it.
And decent small combo is bait for thieves and borrowers alike.

This is a great option. The 101 Mini head can be found around $200 (US) used and the Super Block are maybe $250 new. I got a Fender 1x12 cab for $150 (meant for the X2 head) and these might even be around for less now.

leave that cab chained up in the space, bring the head with you.

srblue5

Tele-Holic
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll definitely be looking around in the near future.

You should be able to score a Peavey Bandit or Studio (ideally a red stripe model) for under $300 CAD. Either has sufficient volume for your needs.

Any older Peavey SS or tube is a good bet from $100 on up. I bought a Peavey 2 x 6L6 tube amp, 2 x 12 for $100 Heavy like a Twin.

You can’t beat the reliability of Peavey. It will last you forever.

I've had good experiences in the past with borrowed/backline Peavey gear. I see a lot of Peavey Rage amps for cheap locally and on Reverb...think that would be enough for a low volume band rehearsal? I don't play particularly clean...

INFANT

Tele-Holic
Red stripe Peavey Bandit or Studio Pro. I’ve owned both and I paid $100 CAD for each of them about 12 years ago. Built like tanks and take pedals well. I kept the Studio Pro at the drummers house for rehearsals and did the odd gig with the Bandit when my Deluxe Reverb wasn’t enough amp for certain gigs. Both Peaveys were Chinese made but used the same name brand electronic components as the US made ones. I sold them both a couple of years ago (for a profit) to buy a Katana 100. The Katana is also an awesome amp and I’m sure the K50 is just as awesome at under $300.
If you are considering the a Bandit, I would suggest the red stripe first, then the silver stripe. I see red stripe bandits selling for $200-250 on Kijiji here in Ontario, silver stripes are slightly cheaper.