Cheap Trick : Surrender

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
So, back in the mid to late '80s, my friend/sort of girlfriend was hanging out in a bar with Robin Zander. She was a punk rock girl, but she had a knack for attracting all sorts of famous guys. She was probably edgier than any of the girls he normally hung out with. After drinking for a few hours, she asked if he had a band or was involved in any projects. It became an awkward moment, where he was saying that he had a band called Cheap Trick, and she was simultaneously saying "yeah, I know, I was asking if you are doing anything now...."

She's still a friend and I still love that classic Cheap Trick.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I'm more of a metal head, but if I had to pick an all time favorite band, overall, ever. Like if deserted island with one record for the rest of your life...Cheap Trick! Yep.

EDIT: As in I have finished typing this a while ago, but can not leave this thread until the song finishes. Respect CT!

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Weird to hear this song without the Budokan craziness going on

This studio version, cut a year later, is even weirder to hear

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Growing up in the Quad Cities area of Iowa, I heard many stories of bands returning from a gig in Rockford with a story about meeting a member of Cheap Trick. Most of them centered around Rick Nielson on a Sunday morning and a breakfast joint near a hotel that a local promoter used to lodge bands.

Mark617

Tele-Holic
A band that sounds just as good today as when I first heard them as a kid. Their influence stretches far and wide for a reason
Top of the World

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
I like chorus and I always have. It differs in other peoples heads and thats ok. I try not to date it. Like phaser, it can be new and fresh too.

Thanks for showing me a new to me tune.

Weird to hear this song without the Budokan craziness going on

This studio version, cut a year later, is even weirder to hear

I heard the Budokan version first. The “In Color” version doesn’t even sound like the same song.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The “In Color” version doesn’t even sound like the same song.
I was sorely disappointed one night at a tavern when I played that song on the jukebox and it turned out to be that version. It's like they took an awesome song and just sucked all the coolness out of it

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Surrender and Dream Police have always been favorites

I change the station when I Want You to Want Me comes on. Too bubblegum for me.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Afflicted
I bought the 1998 CD remaster of Heaven Tonight about a year ago, and I must say, Surrender is a good opening track. There are a lot of other good songs on that album---Auf Wiedersehen and Takin' Me Back are good examples of this.

Is Robin Zander such a skilled singer, or what??

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
I was never a huge fan of theirs at the time...but...I've grown to like some of their stuff.
-- Zander --- underrated, he makes it look pretty effortless.
-- Nielson --- Also underrated, great live.
-- Bun --- One cool dude. Great drummer. At a time of excess... he was pretty minimal. *respect*