Cheap travel guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by matmosphere, Mar 25, 2020.

1. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

My family has found ourselves displaced this past week. I’m now many thousands of miles from all of my guitars and will remain so for an undetermined amount of time. I’m also a little short on space. If I buy something it can’t take up much room, especially to travel. Car is small and pretty tightly packed.

So what is a good travel size electric that can be had cheap? Would prefer to keep it under $100 if I can. But it’s killing me to not have a guitar.

any leads on a good used one?

2. matmosphere

I’m open to the idea of kits as well.

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

pawn shop. tie it on the roof if you have to. sell it for firewood when you are done

teletail and Toadtele like this.
  4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

yeah.

or SX teles/strats

Squier affinities/bullets

and then a Vox amplug.

For this scenario i think I’ll buy a cheap Yamaha acoustic and some spare strings. Dont even need a case

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I brought this Ministar MIK guitar - the bars screw on like a gunstock. Everything goes in the black bag.

I made an offer to an eBay vendor and it was about $150US including postage to Oz.

Airlines will allow it as hand luggage and only hassle at customs a couple of times was opening it to show it wasn't a gun.

Took it across Canada and I found airline headphone sets are ideal as they have a elbow plug. Takes four button batteries for inbuilt headphone amp that sounds OK clean, has distortion which sounds OKish with volume dropped. Five way switch, stacked volume and tone, sounds like a Strat. I use it at home for practice - good built quality, trem even works to drop, no dive bombs.

Alnico magnets, chunky C neck 25.5" scale, 22 frets and medium wire. Fully adjustable bridge.

Needed a slight trussrod tweak and string slots lubed, travelled 3 days on Via rail very handy. Fits in the bag, C/w shoulder strap and 1/4" jack plug lead, actually sounds ok plugged into a regular amp. 15852017957265348541925816702625.jpg

They've got a Strat Castar, a P90 and a Tele model, as well as single pickup 3/4 size. Great value for what you get. Not quite as ergonomic as a real guitar but extremely handy with no scale or fretboard, action or intonation comprises

15852026005894356993195466813548.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Zepfan likes this.
  6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Why electric? Do you have an amp to plug into?

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Used Epiphone Special (II or Junior). Bolt on neck allows taking it apart for travel. I've found them under $50. After a set up they are a high value model. Junior I have gets played more than the Gibsons. They are also light weight, 6-7lbs.

If buying new, get a Squier Bullet Mustang, remove the neck and pack for travel.

I suspect there is a good Harley Benton option from a Mustang-like model to their Kiesel headless copies. Very few on the used market because people are keeping them but new they are often under $200.

Amazon Glarry Strats for $65.

rangercaster likes this.
  8. matmosphere

no but I’m okay with that. This is more just as a gap stop, It’s just to be able to keep in practice and noodle a little, nothing else.

There’s some good suggestions here. I’ll start looking around. One of the big things is space. When we have to move around, and we will, there isn’t room for a full guitar in the car.

9. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Pawn shop Bullet Strat for US$60, neck unbolted for suitcase. First trip: Vox Amplug (US$35). Good! Second trip: Zoom G1 Four (US$80). Even better!

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The Hofner Shorty is available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z9UX2K/?tag=tdpri-20

I don't recommend the cheap Muslady headless kit. I built one recently and it required a considerable amount of work to get it right, including doing some re-routing. I'm still dealing with some lingering issues with it.

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

When I travel by car I take a cheap old acoustic that I've had forever in a good quality case. Its not small but I can allocate space it the back of the car. If I was going to buy a guitar for this purpose it would probably be a Rainsong parlor - then I wouldn't have to worry as much about heat in the car or breaking it. A GS Mini might be an acceptable substitute.

When I travel by air I typically take either my mandolin or a ukulele - either one fits in the storage compartment. Taking the mando forces me to practice it, I don't play it enough. A long scale uke is enough like a guitar that I can put up with it

12. Blue Ass Fly

Blue Ass Fly TDPRI Member

What about a pignose
    Built in amp , great overdrive and tons of sustain and very playable

13. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I took the expensive route, but squire makes one too.

[​IMG]

14. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

Second this! I bought an Indonesian made Squire Strat with solid maple neck for 75 bucks, several years ago, and it was actually a great guitar believe it or not. In fact, I later gave it to a nephew who went to Iraq, and it even survived that mess! So... pawn shop for sure. Another idea - Craigslist. But pawn shop would be my first choice for something like this, and plus you can haggle!

15. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

1585243685533-674211608.jpg 1585243717337-439217480.jpg

I just finished this.
    Cheap Strat with an all in one bridge, works a treat especially with a Korg pandora and some phones.
    I did make it as we had so much work and a lot of weeks away from home, it's not going to come in handy for a while obviously.

metalosophy and bgmacaw like this.
  16. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

I always travel with my cigar box guitar. Can't say I didn't spend more than your budget, but that was just because I was particular about certain components I wanted for this project. Will say you could easily do/get one for under $1,000. I wrap mine in a beach towel and wedge it between the back seat headrest and rear window of my truck. Even added some rubber feet on the bottom so it will standup without a stand when I'm not playing it.

20140105_103353.jpg 20140105_103456.jpg 20171007_200408.jpg

Zepfan and bgmacaw like this.
  17. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

How about an acoustic mando or uke? Cheap, small, and a chance to branch out.

Your situation sounds like it may be unfortunate. I hope it all turns out for you.

18. matmosphere

thanks for the concern, it’s not bad though. We’re all healthy and in good spirits. Nothing is gone forever. Once things calm down (however long that takes) we’ll go back. I think we’re probably looking at a minimum of a couple months though. Don’t need a guitar, but it wouldn’t hurt.

19. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A cheap tele could slide somewhere in your car without a case

20. matmosphere

I ended finding this little guy on Craigslist for $80. Not to shabby so far. Definitely worth the money. Dig the purple too

Once I get a chance to play it some more I’ll report back 5D2BF589-DC33-4C02-99A4-12887584A7DE.jpeg

bgmacaw and Deeve like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.