Cheap Stuff You Love

Elmore

Tele-Holic
41294326-2272-4C58-AD9E-D71FAFD4E941.jpeg
My JVC stereo from 1988 still sounds great. But I wanted to play my phone through it. Bought this for around $20. Bluetooth input that I am running through the VCR jacks.

acoustic rob

Tele-Holic
Someone's already posted theirs, but when I went shopping for a Tele I tried all the ones in the store and couldn't find one I liked better than this one Squier CVC unless I wanted to spend more than a grand.

I9fKFvUl.jpg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I believe it was George Burns who said “The only difference between a $2 cigar and a $10 cigar, is eight bucks.”

I don’t always agree. But when I find cheap stuff that works, I work it.

Around here we have Giant Eagle grocery stores. I find that their “Market District” store brand is as good or better than ANY of the high priced premium “boutique” brands. For any product.

I feel the same way about Target’s “Archer Farms” brand. Solid stuff. Their corn and black bean salsa is absolutely fabulous. And their yellow curry sauce is just wonderful.

I know for some things, I’m just not sophisticated enough to tell the difference. But for other stuff I know it honestly makes no difference. If I’m gonna have an Aperol Spritz for instance, I’m not spending $20 on a bottle of Prosecco. Once you pour it in a glass with ice cubes, Aperol, and an orange slice, and you’re sitting out in the sun with it, there is zero point. The $5.99 bottle is more than good enough.

Last edited:

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Refurbished computers. Walmart online has these deals all day. I search through the specs to find the best bang for the buck on anything $250 or less when it comes computer refresh time. Yeah I'm probably 3-5 years behind the times tech-wise, but I'm not in debt, they work just fine, and the whole family gets one.

Last edited:

JJLC

Tele-Holic
CIGARS :D

They really are not that cheap & I typically have about 200 on hand at any given time.
If a cigar was to co$t an average of say $10 then the co$t of a 200 cigar count sta$h would be $2K.
Some of my cigars retail for $15 to $25 a stick but I don't pay retail; I buy from online sellers & typically purchase by the box. That approach helps to keep co$t lower but still, cigars are not 'cheap' but then, everything is relative; right?
Smoke on brothers .................

Sequimite

Tele-Meister
Olympia all solid wood guitars. Olympia was Tacoma's cheap Korean made guitar line. I have some Tacoma guitars because they offer good bang for the buck but my solid wood Olympias are cheaper copies of Tacomas with the same design and quality of wood. Very few were made so I've had to wait years to find mine. I had wanted Tacoma's version of the Nick Lucas parlor guitar but a very good condition used one was hard to find under $1000. The owner of the Tacoma Guitar Forum found the Olympia solid wood version and bought it out of curiosity. He set it up the same as his Tacoma parlor and could find no difference ,after months of AB playing, between them sonically or structurally. He passed it along to me at his cost, $200. The original price was $650 and at that time, 2001, the Tacoma parlors started at $1250. And the best part is, it is serial number 0001.

But the best Olympia ever made is this prototype from the same year. Tacoma took a DR-38 body (their $2000 flagship dreadnought), a neck from the Olympia solid wood series and a fretboard from the Orpheum OD-38SWR to make this first prototype of the very short lived Orpheum. It sounds and plays like the $2000 Tacoma or a $3000 - 5000 dreadnought being made today. I got it for a bit less than $400 with shipping and tax in absolute mint condition.
93477192_10219737156992548_9063934634554818560_o.jpg

94142447_10219731556972551_2329047566462746624_o.jpg

Last edited:

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Tayda Electronics. In particular, their $0.99 right-angle 1/4" plugs. Heavy duty just like the "good" stuff, but less than half the price.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I like Wrangler Authentic Twill cargo shorts...the ones with no flap back pockets...$20.

I like "free" microwaveable ceramic coffee cups...the gaudier the better.

I like "free" bike water bottles...the gaudier the better.

I liked a girl who regularly wore a "Good and Plenty" candy t-shirt...we were kindred spirits.

Edit: AND when you find what you like cheap...I say "buy in bulk".

IMG_7585.JPG

Last edited:

EspyHop

Tele-Holic
Another one I just remembered.

I decided to get my fiancée an acoustic for Valentine’s Day several years ago. Just a starter, nothing fancy. Anyway, I found a used Washburn D10N, an all plywood guitar, that sounded surprisingly good, was nicely set up and came with a really nice hardshell case for $50! The case alone was worth more! Even the guy from Guitar Center was floored by the price.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
That NO ONE else likes? Well as they say on South Park: "the Simpsons already did it" so I'll work around that.

A cheap thing I love is my regular Coleman cooler. It's lighter and smaller for the same internal storage as the fancy one I'm knocking, and keeps ice well into the day after the party. What more could you want?

Honorable mention that might now be the better answer: my regular Igloo Playmate cooler for all the same reasons above but can be carried with one hand.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
- An original white face ProCo RAT I got at a garage sale for 10 bucks.
- Converse Chuck Taylors
- Miller High Life.