Cheap Stuff Is Great And The Expensive Stuff Sucks

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by muchxs, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I bought a pair of Sorrel snowboots for $160 and they tore after wearing six times. I bought a pair of $24 snowboots from Walmart and I wore them three months of the year for five years before they wore out.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I switched from Sorrel to Lacrosse Ice Kings years ago. Last pair of those I bought were made in China and not nearly as warm or well made. Pretty sure Sorrels are Chinese now too.
    Second to the last pair of cold weather boots I bought are a pair of military surplus Mickey Mouse boots.
    If you need to be out when the temps bellow zero Fahrenheit forget the store bought crap and get a pair of those.
    I tried a pair of Baffins a few years ago. Canadian flags all over them but the boots were made in China and not worth a damn. Went back to my Mickey Mouse boots and hoped the oil rig safety dude was dumb enough to think they had steel toes. Fortunately he was.

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a dozen pairs of Varnamo Swedish combat boots from Sportsman's Guide about twenty years ago. Haven't even burned through my first couple pairs.

First ones I used were 1950s issued with the brass eyelets corroded green. Set up right with felt insoles they're the ultimate winter boots. They're 100% waterproof at least up to the ankles. They're puncture proof even if you're wading through snow with scrap metal underneath.

I've worn them pouring concrete and just hosed 'em off.

Got a pair of the black 1980 issues I've been wearing for a half dozen winters so far.

True story no shi(p) and I'm not makin' this up...

Rondo Music is in the old Lacrosse shoe factory. Same building that used to be filled with shoes is full of imported guitars, now.

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

If you're buying at bottom-dollar pricing ($100-300), you're likely getting junk.**
    If you're paying at the stratospheric level of pricing (3K plus), you're likely getting screwed (but it'll look pretty).**
    Everything else requires judicious selection, but will probably get you your money's worth.**

** Results may vary according to individual standards and luck of the draw.

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand the dissing of China. iPhones and computers are made there. So are many, many other things. They can manufacture to just about any tolerance or standard
    that is requested by the buyer. If your shoes wear out prematurely, it is not because they were made in China. It was because the entity that ordered the shoes from China specified
    a design and manufacturing standard that were cheap. If they had spec'd a high quality shoe-- materials, design, construction-- then Chinese workers would have made it to spec.

Dan German and BobbyZ like this.
  6. BobbyZ

I'm sure the Chinese are fully capable of making high quility goods. I know they do! Lots of things made in China hold up just fine.
    It's these companies that order the cheapest possible dohicky and only care that it looks like a dohicky that are to blame for the most part.
    Pretty sure my tennis shoes have been MIC for years, they hold up fine. Of course I don't play tennis. . . . .
    Work boots they got a ways to go on yet. I do work and MIC boots don't last long.
    If I played tennis and didn't work that might be the other way around.

And for crying out loud! Why do I have to buy several nail Clippers from China just so maybe I'll get one that holds up !
    I know they have metallurgy over there but based on nail clippers you wouldn't think so. :)

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

This much is probably true: American and northwest European labor is so expensive that you are not likely to see anything
    sold for very cheap. Given that fact, typically the only way these things can be sold is if they are actually of high
    enough quality to justify the higher price.

On the other hand, labor from China and the 3rd world can be extremely cheap. So it is possible to make a profit
    even when selling stuff for very cheap. Given that people are attracted to low prices, you can make an even bigger profit
    if you sell shoddier stuff (at least for awhile until people figure it out).

One exception to this general rule is Gibson. They make stuff in the USA that is very expensive but also pretty shoddy--
    lately, anyway. Some companies are able to leverage their brand reputation to command a higher price...at least
    until people get sick of it. Look what happened to the American car makers in the late 70s as an example of what happens
    when consistently crummy products blow a hole in any brand loyalty...and then how many decades it then takes to get any loyalty back.

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Got an inexpensive Caline Leon Drive pedal in today. It's a winner at chicken dinner price. Sounds good, is versatile, looks well enough made. Good value, not cheap/crappy.

9. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Just a thought on labor cost. If the company is the labor, the labor cost can be the cost of people making a living, rather than someone else making more than a living leveraging cheap labor.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  10. BobbyZ

Most of us aren't old enough to remember that cheap crap used to made right here in the good old USA. Spend enough time in junk shops and thrift store type places and you'll run into all sorts of made in USA crap.
    One place by me gets donations. The only USA tools I ever see in there are the USA equivalent to what you get at Harbor Freight today. I'm just guessing here but I suspect the company's wanting cheap crap were the first to go with overseas production. With guitars it started in sometime the 1960s. Before that they built cheap crappy guitars here in the States.
    Today those are "vintage" guitars. :)
    Cheap USA amps? Can't get much cheaper than using a series heater tube set, no power transformer needed, inside a sawdust cabinet can you?
    Today those are "vintage" amps. :)

As much as I hate the idea of cheap imported tools they're getting to be a fact of life. When Vice Grips tools got bought out by Irwin they shut down US production. If there's a better locking pliers on the market, I haven't found it. I still think the ones made in Nebraska were better but the MIC ones are all you can get now.

11. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

B-b-but it won't have the fancy name on the headstock for everyone to be envious of.:eek::( :lol:

12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Good quality (expensive when new) leather foot ware, already broke-in can be had at thrift stores! I have by chance picked up some great foot ware that have lasted me years. For .15 on the dollar compared to new. If the shoes/boots are worn-in, soft and have good soles left, I figure they are probably good quality. I’ve had great luck. This leaves me extra money for music gear!

13. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

The best playing and sounding electric guitar I own also happens to be one of the least expensive I've ever had.
    The best playing and sounding acoustic guitar I have is oddly the most expensive guitar I've ever owned.
    Go figure.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Some time in the 90s I went to an REI garage sale (anyone remember those?), picked up a pair of demo return Asolos. Top of the line at the time, IIRC. They had some separation in the upper sole area, and were VERY cheap (~$10?). They are leather with goretex, but I thought any waterproofing would be gone with the defect.

Nope. Aside from my old 80s Sorells, they have been the most waterproof shoes or boots I've ever had. Heavy hikers, but beautifully broken in. I still wear them regularly, and the soles are hardly worn down. Use them for hike/camp, snow, and outdoor work. I keep looking at lightweight hikers, which would be so much easier to take on trips for day hikes, but nothing feels as comfortable.

One man's trash....

15. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I loved my Greta so much I picked up a second as backup in case something fails. No problems yet.

16. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

And 80% of them are convinced they are well above average.

17. BobbyZ

And some of those of those have a degree.
    Nothing worse than an idiot armed with a degree. :)

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a cheap Cort OM with a Spruce top ( cost $450 ) and it sounds great. So too does a friend's Yamaha OM that he plays live ( keeps his Martin D-45 at home).
    Similarly My Taylor 214 CE sounds great, so too that aforementioned Martin.

We have a guy here, cannot name him, who buys stores that are well known but perhaps in a sales rut. He equips them with really good stuff. He made his start in our 1989 recession. Took advantage of young guys with vintage guitars.
    He offered one guy $110 AUD for a '64 Rickenbacker 330 , the guy told him to G.t S.....d. I said "Good on Ya Mate outside. Anyhow, now he is a bit of Norm's Rare Guitars with a warehouse that stocks three stores he bought out.You can get anything from a 1928 F style Gibson Mandolin, to an L-Series Stratocaster, to a cheap ( or expensive) ukulele.
    You generally get what you pay for, but Colin Hayes played the Sydney Opera House open air show on a LP type Cort.
    My simple rule of thumb is buy it if you really like it and can afford it, or build it. Currently building a Cherry LP jr. and it's going well. I still can't afford my dream J-45. Have the money but that's for travel.
    "nuff said."

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

We should also socialize it amongst our thought leaders to determine whether it's an overarching concern.

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Management is holding an offsite at a swanky resort hotel next week. We need your full report by close of business today so drop everything you're working on to get it done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.